http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 08:22:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me build my new gaming rig  (Read 500 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »

So I finally have the money to upgrade my gaming rig and I want to do a complete new build.  I prefer Intel and nVidia components.  I started reading about the different chipsets and features and it's too much to sort through so I need some help!

Here are my guidelines:  I am planning to spend about $1,500.  Again, I prefer to stick with Intel CPU and nVidia GPU.  Also upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit.  Don't need a monitor right now, just the system.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:39:49 AM by namatoki » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:56:28 PM »

My only contribution to this thread: Two 580s in SLI mode.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 05:26:03 AM »

I'm not up on all the latest CPU and mobo options, but I will say that you might benefit from holding off a little while if you don't absolutely need a new system right now.  All of the current video cards are running on tech that has been out for a while and is due to be replaced sometime in the coming months.  You can definitely get good performance with the current generation, but even the most high-end cards  (like the GTX 580) have GPUs that were introduced a year ago.  There hasn't been any word on exactly when nVidia or AMD might release their new tech, but it's expected to be early next year and could be a significant leap beyond the current options thanks to new 28nm construction...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 03:04:32 PM »

Quote from: disarm on October 30, 2011, 05:26:03 AM

I'm not up on all the latest CPU and mobo options, but I will say that you might benefit from holding off a little while if you don't absolutely need a new system right now.  All of the current video cards are running on tech that has been out for a while and is due to be replaced sometime in the coming months.  You can definitely get good performance with the current generation, but even the most high-end cards  (like the GTX 580) have GPUs that were introduced a year ago.  There hasn't been any word on exactly when nVidia or AMD might release their new tech, but it's expected to be early next year and could be a significant leap beyond the current options thanks to new 28nm construction...

Not to mention the 580s are really expensive. Considering that you can get a pair of 460s for less than the price of one 580, run them in SLi, and get better performance. Now running 2 580s in SLi, that would be bad ass but it would blow most of your budget.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 03:12:28 PM »

this might help with video cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-gaming-performance,3042.html

I recently helped through together a PC with a budget fo aroudn a grand: http://gamingtrend.com/forums/hardware-software-hell/emergency-pc-build/

the buidget didn't include a video card as there was already one present, and we ended up being about 200 bucks over with the SSD drive.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 04:49:13 AM »

I'm currently running 2x560 and they shred most stuff.  Starting to hit some limits with BF3, it didn't like 5760x1200 on ultra.  Getting one beefy card gives you the option of moving to SLI as an upgrade in the future, but from my experience I always say I can do that and never do.

Rumor has it Sandy Bridge-E is going to hit before the end of the year, that or a higher end current i7 would probably do you fine for a cpu. 

I also highly recommend an SSD, once you have one you won't want to ever go back.  If you don't want to pay for a big enough one to cover everything pair it with a nice HDD and just run windows and your current top game off the SSD.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 11:01:12 PM »

Dual 580s would be stupid...dual 560s would run the cost of one 580 and the extra $500 could be used towards a bigger SSD and more memory (both of which would make a huge impact).  Go with the i7 (quad with hyperthread), at least 8GB of ram (maybe 16 if you're going to be using this the next 2+ years) and the biggest SSD you can afford.  Don't forget a really good power supply and lots of extra cooling.

Going to be hard to hit $1500 using a i7 though if you go with dual video cards though.  You can do it if you really shop around, get the free shipping and find the sales that include rebates.  Also depends on anything you're going to re-use (case, dvd burner, etc).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:07:07 PM by ericb » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: