http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:48:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Can boot into safe mode, but thats it :(  (Read 904 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2005, 04:16:04 PM »

Okay, this morning I turn on my PC just find and I log into WoW. Since I was in the arena in STV I hearthed to Orgrimmar and my PC locks up.  I reboot and I have vertical lines showing at the Windows XP loading screen.   Windows attempts to load  and cannot.  It reloads again and I can only boot into the various safe modes.  Bw, I did notice that when WXP tries to load normally a blue screen flashes with some writing , but its for a brief second so I can't see what it is saying.

Next, I try to go back to a system restore point and I get this error about not being able to load "GetGlobalBabyJITEnabled" Did some searching on the web and I can't seem to find out if this is a virus or not.  

I am running:

2.17 Athlon
1 gig Geil Ram
40 Gig Maxtor HD
nvidia 5700 Ultra
Epic Motherboard

Thanks for the Help

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 08:32:58 PM »

Unfortunately I've seen that before.  It is indeed a virus...you need to scan and clean.  Might I suggest http://www.antivirus.com and doing the online scanner?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 08:33:30 AM »

Boot into safe mode and install (and run) an anti-virus program.  I use Bit Defender because its free, and would personally go with a free version first, just because they do less with thier installs.

While you are there, here is my list for total Windows security-

1.  Install a software firewall, preferably one which monitors both incoming AND outgoing traffic.  My recommendations are ZoneAlarm and Sygate (both have very good free versions).

2.  Install (and run) anti-spyware programs.  I recommend three total- AdAware, Spybot SD, and SpywareBlaster.
* make sure you update the software to the latest version.

3. Install anti-virus software.  I prefer something with on-access monitoring, but I havent found a free version I like which has that function.
* make sure you update the software to the latest version, with the latest virus detection files

Also, make sure you have some sort of pop-up blocker.  WinXP SP2 has one built in, so you will want to upgrade to that if you havent.  If you are on Win2000 and below, install Google Toolbar, it has a good popup blocker.

---

After you run (from Safe Mode) the virus scanner and it clears out as much junk as it can, try installing and running the anti-spyware stuff as well.  Then reboot, and run the personal firewall; this will stop any remaining junk from accessing the internet (you may have to do this from safe mode as well if it locks up the computer, but it usually will not, since you should have already cleared a lot).

Once you are able to boot into Windows normally, make sure you can access the internet.  If so, update all your new programs (virus scanner and spyware detectors), and rerun them.  Make sure you run these one at a time, dont know if I needed to say that.

Make a list of all the programs trying to access the internet which the firewall is blocking.  Check their names out on Google; most of them will probably be some sort of virus; if your program(s) didnt catch them, there are usually directions on how to remove.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: