http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 05:17:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hdtv cable for PS3 and 360 advice needed  (Read 2560 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2008, 12:50:10 AM »

My beautiful wife bought me an hdtv today but of course I have no cables that will do hd with my ps3 and 360.  I need advice desperately.  I want hd gaming once and for all.  The tv only has one hdmi port and one of those component red/white/blue/green/red deals, an rgb for a pc and a red/white/yellow w/ S-video. 

What should I get?  I am clueless.   I hooked up my ps3 to the component and it only would go to 480p and honestly, it looked worse than my standard TV.  Surely, it should look better than that.  As for my 360, I have nothing that will work on it currently in any way. 

I am dumb with this stuff and need to be lead by the hand on the best solution.  If I can't figure something out this weekend, I told her I am taking the TV back as I don't want to spend the money and not improve my gaming setup.  Just not worth it for TV alone.

Appreciate your advice.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 01:20:56 AM »

Unless you have a Core or Arcade 360 it should have come with Component cables.  So use those and hook the 360 up to the component connections.  Then go into the dashboard and find the Video settings and set it to your TVs resolution (most likely 720p or 1080p). 

Use the HDMI cable for PS3.  First make sure you are using the most recent firmware. Then go into the XMB and go to the Display settings and select all of the resolutions your TV supports.  This should automatically reset your dashboard to either 720p or 1080p (depending on what your TV can do).  Now, in the same menu, select Full for RGB Full Range and On for Super White.  Go to BD/DVD Settings and Select DVD Upscaler to Normal if it isn't already (this will allow DVDs to be upscaled). 

Oh yeah, to get a cheap HDMI cable go to www.monoprice.com
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 03:10:25 AM »

Thanks.  Good info.  My 360 did indeed come with component cables that have both the red/white/yellow and the other side has the blue, green, and something (whatever those are for, but when I connect the R/W/Y up I get nothing and thus I can't even see my 360 so that I CAN change the video setting.  Kind of a Catch 22.  But my 360 also has an hdmi jack just underneath where that fat component connector connects.  Unfortunately, my tv only has one hdmi port, so, I will have to put the ps3 on it I guess. 

I will fiddle with the 360 and that cable some more, but after a 1/2 hour so far and getting nothing on the tv no matter where I hooked it up, I am not hopefull with the out of box cables.   May have to buy some kind of hd cable for that as well I think.

Thanks though.  Good web site too.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 03:21:24 AM »

The video part of a component signal is the Red, Blue, and Green connectors- that is what you want to plug into your TV to get a picture.  Analog audio is Red and White so it's important to make sure that you use the red connector attached to the blue and green and not the red plug attached to the white. 

Also, this is very important and should have been in my first post but there is a switch on the 360 component cable itself for HD.  You need to make put the selector in the HD position in order for the 360 to display HD. 

*Do not connect the yellow cable!!!!!!!!*  That is composite video and is the worst video signal you could get and is not HD in the slightest. 
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 11:16:05 AM »

Yay!  I got 720p on my 360.  Now I just need to get an hdmi for the ps3 and I am in business.  Thanks Kevin.  Off to buy that cable and replay Drake's Fortune in HD.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 02:49:25 PM »

Happy to help!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 04:58:35 PM »

Consider getting a switch box that supports HDMI, Psyclone has a nice one I'm using. Then both consoles could be connected to the TV via HDMI.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 06:44:53 PM »

Mike, you aren't going out to buy an HDMI cable from a store are you? You can get them for less than a buck at amazon.com

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 10, 2008, 06:44:53 PM

Mike, you aren't going out to buy an HDMI cable from a store are you? You can get them for less than a buck at amazon.com

I looked but could not believe that ANYONE would pay $40 - $100 for a freaking cable!!!!! 

No, I ordered one online for $7.99 shipped.  Had nothing by 5 Star ratings for about 50 users and several mention it works perfect for the PS3.  And it actually shipped within 2 hours of me ordering it.  Can't wait.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 08:33:02 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 10, 2008, 04:58:35 PM

Consider getting a switch box that supports HDMI, Psyclone has a nice one I'm using. Then both consoles could be connected to the TV via HDMI.

IMO the difference between HDMI and Component isn't worth the cost of a switch. 
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 09:24:23 PM »

It is if you want less cabling and get them online for less than $10, thank you monoprice.com
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 01:56:11 AM »

Hell I got 2 HDMI cables (3 ft) from monoprice for $3.something each, then later ordered a 6 foot HDMI and it was $6 or $7 maybe ... shipped. That is THE place to get cables, and also to get adapter type thingies that Radio Shack charges 1000% markup on. I got a small adapter to hook up 360 audio to my PC speakers. It was about $8 at RS ... monoprice had it for 82 cents. 82 freakin' cents.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: