http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:32:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware Review: Microsoft Habu Gaming Mouse  (Read 3129 times)
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:41:10 AM »

Let's get this out right now: I've been using the Logitech G5 since it released. It's a really good gaming mouse with a couple of very glaring basic usability flaws. If you've ever used the G5 that might help you figure out where I'm coming from on the Habu. The lack of a "forward" button for use in internet browsing and the middle mouse button that I and many others consider about as borderline unusable as it could possibly be are the two big ones. The middle mouse button can be particularly frustrating in browsers like Firefox and Opera where the middle mouse button is actually really nice to use. I lost count of the number of times I clicked down on it and the page scrolled instead.

So for the uninitiated... what exactly is the Habu and what makes it better than any other mouse?

Think of the Habu as a combination of one of the Intellimouse Explorer mice and a Razer Copperhead. That's exactly what it feels like to me and it might be the most perfect mouse I've ever used. It has both the basic back shape of the Intellimouse and the flared front mouse buttons that Razer has had on pretty much all their recent mice. The mouse's internals are, at least as far as I can tell, ripped right from the copperhead. That should tell you that they work just as well for gaming as any of Logitech's gamer oriented mice.

I'm happy to report that the middle mouse button works exactly as it should. If you scroll it the screen scrolls. If you click it then you get a satisfying "click" and whatever your middle mouse button is supposed to do... it does. No mushy feeling on the button and no accidental scrolling.

It has a forward button. It does, in fact, offer two slightly different little panels for the left side of the mouse that have the back and forward buttons in different sizes and ever so slightly different positioning. It's not a huge difference but it can make a small one for general usability (and it helped me to have the smaller buttons) and it's a really nice touch for them to include it out of the box.

You can adjust the sensitivity of the mouse with two buttons placed just behind the mouse wheel. They're as out of the way as they can be and they work exactly as advertised.

Again, this might be the closest thing to a "perfect" gaming mouse I've ever used. For anyone that's ever used the MX518 it's essentially just as usable as that mouse with the added feature of a 2,000 DPI rating instead of the MX518's 1600 DPI. The difference might be minimal for some.

So who is this mouse for?

Any of you who have ever used an MX518 and loved it but wished it had just that little bit more as far as it's customizability. For anyone who used the G5 and wished time and time again that they hadn't ruined the middle mouse button or left out the forward button. And lastly for anyone who loved the features of the various Razer mice but hated their tiny size and odd shaping. If you fit any of those categories.. this the only mouse on the market for you.

And a basic comparison picture:

I have an MX518 in my laptop bag that I could have put up but it seemed silly since it's shaped almost exactly like the G5.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 04:41:53 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 03:34:54 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on November 30, 2006, 02:41:10 AM

I have an MX518 in my laptop bag that I could have put up but it seemed silly since it's shaped almost exactly like the G5.

Looking over at my MX518, it is the same exact mouse as the G5, except it has the required back button on the side. And unless there's some drastic difference between the G5 and the MX518, I have no complaints with how all the buttons work. Middle mouse clicks without scrolling issues and whatnot.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is this: Is the G5 the current Logitech mouse, or is the MX518?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 04:35:47 AM »

Quote from: Destructor
Basically, what I'm trying to say is this: Is the G5 the current Logitech mouse, or is the MX518?

The G5 is the current high end "gamer" mouse from Logitech.

The scroll wheel is not the same in both mice. I loved the 518. I still do really. There's a reason it goes everywhere in my laptop bag. Playing Company of Heroes on the laptop is awesome... but not with a touchpad smile

Anywho, I believe the problem with the middle mouse button on the G5 stems from the fact that they added tilt functionality to the wheel. So you could tilt it left or right to scroll left or right as well as the normal scrolling up and down. But if you didn't press on it in exactly the right way.. well it scrolls up or down instead of clicking. It's extremely annoying.

I stopped using the middle mouse button in games a while ago because I couldn't be sure it would always do what I wanted it to do.

The other "feature" if you can call it that... that the G5 added was a little customizable weight block that slides into the bottom. It comes with two sets of different little metal weights that let you change how heavy the mouse feels. It's a nice feature and it does make the mouse feel even more substantial than it already is... but it's pretty useless in the end.

Also: I'm a moron. It's not missing the back button. It's missing the forward button. I'm sorry, I'm really tired and my brain's just all ass backwards right now. Editing the main post now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 04:41:12 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 05:07:10 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on November 30, 2006, 04:35:47 AM

Reading the comparison between the two mice, I'm glad I'm not 'gamer' enough to get the G5 then. I'll keep my MX518.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 07:37:20 AM »

Reading the comparison between the two mice, I'm glad I'm not 'gamer' enough to get the G5 then. I'll keep my MX518.

Definitely keep the 518 over the G5.

The Habu is the only mouse out I'd consider superior in all the right ways but it's not so much better that I'd recommend replacing your 518 with it.

It's just nicer in a few small ways.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 07:46:07 AM »

Awesome stuff dude. I really want one, but I dont think I can justify it until I can find it for about 40$. 60$ is steeep!
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 03:00:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 30, 2006, 05:07:10 AM

Quote from: Thin_J on November 30, 2006, 04:35:47 AM

+1 I concur, I love my MX518

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »

MX500 wireless FTW! eek
However, if I ever scratch up the, uh, scratch for a laser mouse I'll look for this one.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile! ©
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 07:13:31 PM »

Quote from: javahead on November 30, 2006, 06:32:33 PM

MX500 wireless FTW! eek
However, if I ever scratch up the, uh, scratch for a laser mouse I'll look for this one.
The next mouse I get I think has to be wireless.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 10:19:52 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 30, 2006, 07:13:31 PM

Quote from: javahead on November 30, 2006, 06:32:33 PM

MX500 wireless FTW! eek
The next mouse I get I think has to be wireless.

For wireless use there's really not many options made for gaming. Logitech has the new VX Revolution (Note, not the MX. That one has two scroll wheels and lacks the two side buttons) but I've not heard of anyone being super happy with it for gaming compared to their 518's or even the G5.

Then there's the G7, but that's just a wireless version of the G5 and it comes with all the same problems.

If you want a budget version of the G5 without the funky middle mouse button problems the G3 has the same 2000 DPI rating and is also good for either right handed people or lefties too for about $40. It's not as comfortable or nice to use as the MX518 though, and that's right there in the same price ranges.

*edit for clarification on the G3. It's a wired mouse, not wireless.*

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 11:48:31 PM »

i like tall mice (where you can rest your mitt on it) - a lot of mice are too low-profile, including my IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0.  what are good recommendations?

(also, i still like using the original Xbox controllers)
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 10:25:43 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on December 01, 2006, 11:48:31 PM

i like tall mice (where you can rest your mitt on it) - a lot of mice are too low-profile, including my IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0.  what are good recommendations?

(also, i still like using the original Xbox controllers)

I think the MX518 and the G5 and G7 are the tallest of the gaming mice I've used. The way they're contoured helps a bit if you have big hands. I can't say for sure if they're tall enough to suit you though. They're not going to be all that different from the Intellimouse.

Logitech's new ones, the MX and VX Revolution mice are both pretty damn big as far as mice go though. I was in Best Buy a few days ago and they had all the ones I mentioned just now on display. I'd go in and check them out.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 08:29:48 AM »

I just replaced my 7 month old MX518 with the Logitech® Cordless Desktop® MX™ 3200 Laser combo so I could use my PC with my HDTV.  I'm liking it so far, but the keys on the keyboard seem to be a bit off about a half an inch from my old keyboard.  That doesn't sound like much but it was kind of a pain at first as I kept hitting the wrong key at the wrong moment, plus they redid the 6 keys over the cursor keys (they compressed them with no 'insert' key).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 04:59:16 AM »

How are the feet on the Habu? I have problems with microsoft mice feet coming off (other mice too), but I haven't tried a razer mouse yet.

Aka, does it have feet that are going to resist coming off over time?

Atomic
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 07:10:56 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on December 05, 2006, 04:59:16 AM

How are the feet on the Habu? I have problems with microsoft mice feet coming off (other mice too), but I haven't tried a razer mouse yet.

Aka, does it have feet that are going to resist coming off over time?

Atomic

Honestly, I don't know how I can answer that. The mouse has only been out for a few weeks.

That said.. they give you a set of replacement pads in the package. Whether that's a good sign or a bad one I don't know.

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 08:27:41 PM »

How heavy is it?

I love my G5 except for the middle button action.  I like being able to put weights in it as well, and get it to the right feel for me.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 08:47:49 PM »

well, actually, I was just wondering if it had the standard tiny mouse feet, or if they'd made allowances by making the feet larger, or a solid pad, etc. eventually I'll find a pic on the net, was just curious if you'd noticed anything unusual to indicate they'd put some thought into it.

Atomic
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 01:03:35 AM »

Pretty standard as far as the little pads go.

Olaf: I'd say it's a little bit heavier than the G5 is with no weights, but if you add any weight at all to the G5 with that little block then the G5 is heavier. I thought I'd miss the weights and the heavy feeling of the mouse but I really haven't yet.

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 05:34:42 AM »

Thanks for the extra picture. Much appreciated.
* TheAtomicKid ponders

Atomic
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2006, 10:59:25 AM »

I love the MX Revolution, but don't use it for gaming, so can't comment there.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 09:52:59 AM »

Just purchased a Habu to replace my G7....I think I am in love biggrin

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 01:24:22 PM »

The Habu was designed and built by Razer.  I use their mice fairly exclusively now and I can say that the feet don't wear out through normal use.  If you happen to wear them out, simply give Razer a call and they'll send you some feet on their dime.  I've tested that theory on my Copperhead and it holds. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 01:34:17 PM »

I have long been a fan of the Intellimouse Explorer for usability, and gotten nothing but excellent support since gen1. (The cable pinched and were prone to wear out; MS sent me another mouse on their dime to replace it and i didn't have to send the other one back.... it still works to this day.. the jacket is a little worn but it works fine.)

I love the latest version of the Intellipoint Software with the zoom and alt-tab functions they've added as mouse button features. About a year ago I had a smoking deal on a G7 so I jumped at it... I rarely ever use the DPI changing though.

The G7 is a fine mouse and I love the dual battery-switcher thing, the weight is right, but Thin_J is right... the sponge-y response on the middle-click and the absence of the MOUSE5 button (hell, I'd love a MOUSE6 added to it as well) is a bad, bad thing.

If I had the opportunity to sell my G7 and upgrade to the Habu I'd probably take it; the wireless is a non-issue, and I could always bring home my wireless intellimouse explorer 2.0 from work.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 06:59:58 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 19, 2007, 01:34:17 PM

I have long been a fan of the Intellimouse Explorer for usability, and gotten nothing but excellent support since gen1. (The cable pinched and were prone to wear out; MS sent me another mouse on their dime to replace it and i didn't have to send the other one back.... it still works to this day.. the jacket is a little worn but it works fine.)

I love the latest version of the Intellipoint Software with the zoom and alt-tab functions they've added as mouse button features. About a year ago I had a smoking deal on a G7 so I jumped at it... I rarely ever use the DPI changing though.

The G7 is a fine mouse and I love the dual battery-switcher thing, the weight is right, but Thin_J is right... the sponge-y response on the middle-click and the absence of the MOUSE5 button (hell, I'd love a MOUSE6 added to it as well) is a bad, bad thing.

If I had the opportunity to sell my G7 and upgrade to the Habu I'd probably take it; the wireless is a non-issue, and I could always bring home my wireless intellimouse explorer 2.0 from work.

But would you say G5 or G7 is a good step up for someone using old school non gaming optimized wired mouses for a long time if they don't want to spend the habu cash?
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 07:16:38 PM »

Trackballz 4 life, yo.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 12:26:59 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 19, 2007, 06:59:58 PM

Quote from: Purge on February 19, 2007, 01:34:17 PM

But would you say G5 or G7 is a good step up for someone using old school non gaming optimized wired mouses for a long time if they don't want to spend the habu cash?

Habu is definitely cheaper than the G7...not too sure about the price on the G5 though.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 02:35:15 AM »

The Habu should be at least around the same price as the G5. I'd imagine the logitech's a little cheaper now though that it's been out for so long.

Razer recently released the Deathadder though which by all accounts is a third extremely solid entry into the high end gaming mouse market.

I'm tempted to try one out even though there's no sensible reason to do it  icon_neutral

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 02:56:36 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on February 20, 2007, 02:35:15 AM

The Habu should be at least around the same price as the G5. I'd imagine the logitech's a little cheaper now though that it's been out for so long.

Razer recently released the Deathadder though which by all accounts is a third extremely solid entry into the high end gaming mouse market.

I'm tempted to try one out even though there's no sensible reason to do it  icon_neutral

Whats the price?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 03:53:57 PM »

New fancy Razer Deathadder: $60
MS Habu: $55
Logitech G5: $41

And for a couple other options:
Razer Copperhead: $55 - $67 (depending on which one you get, remarkably high considering it's age)
Logitech MX518: $40
Logitech MX Revolution: $80
Logitech G3: $44
Ideazon Reaper: $35

And there's also the Fanatec Headshot (no way am I typing it the way they actually named it) but I can't seem to find that in stock at any reputable sites. That and I can't imagin anybody actually being happy about having one of the ridiculous things on their desk.

All prices from Newegg.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 04:10:53 PM »

I also picked up a Tarantula and a HP-1 headset...I am a consumer whore biggrin

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 04:13:22 PM »

If you're patient I know that the Logitech mice get sales/rebates pretty frequently.  I know that I picked up my G7 for about $40.00 last fall. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »

I'd consider selling mine; I thought I'd need the wireless but I moved my PC and I'm kinda jonesin' for the Habu.

My mouse is less than a year old, has all the parts and I've never had a problem with it. I doubt I've even dropped it once.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 04:55:37 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 20, 2007, 04:23:53 PM

I'd consider selling mine; I thought I'd need the wireless but I moved my PC and I'm kinda jonesin' for the Habu.

My mouse is less than a year old, has all the parts and I've never had a problem with it. I doubt I've even dropped it once.

PM me with model/price would you purge?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 07:07:36 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on February 20, 2007, 04:10:53 PM

How's the bass response on the HP-1's?

I always think about them because my good Sennheisers don't have a mic, but the "Bass could be better" comments I hear about the HP-1's kind of make me wary. I don't know that I could handle weak sound now that I've had a really nice set of actual high quality cans for a while.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 07:52:32 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on February 21, 2007, 07:07:36 PM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on February 20, 2007, 04:10:53 PM

How's the bass response on the HP-1's?

I always think about them because my good Sennheisers don't have a mic, but the "Bass could be better" comments I hear about the HP-1's kind of make me wary. I don't know that I could handle weak sound now that I've had a really nice set of actual high quality cans for a while.

I will let ya know biggrin

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 10:12:18 PM »

The package came in today...so far I am amazed at the headset.  Walking by fire actually sounds like walking by a fire.  The sound of the fire crackling moves as you move.  Really happy so far, but as I get more feedback I will post biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: