http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 07:50:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guess it's going around - CPU/Mobo problems  (Read 552 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »

I have a Gigabyte Intel X58 LGA 1366 Motherboard (GA-X58A-UD3R) and an Intel Core i7-960.   The motherboard has been acting VERY flaky.  Gigabyte no longer updates the bios, so I have the latest and greatest.  Suddenly it takes a VERY long time to detect my drives, or it'll hang on the memory post test.   Similarly it'll just 'forget' connected drives in Windows, forcing a reboot.  Here's the problem:

They don't make LGA 1366 boards anymore.   Not only that, but if I did buy one of the very few on the market, would that money be better spent on a new mobo proc combo in, say, LGA-2011?   My memory would be compatible, but I'm just not sure if I'm about to be bitten by the Intel upgrade beast if I jump on their next damned socket type.  :/   Thoughts?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 11:08:32 PM »

Try:

Unplugging the optical drive(s)... see if your hang goes away.
  :if it does, try a different cable
Repeat with the rest of your hard drives.

Unplug all the hardware as I've mentioned in another thread, until you're down to mobo/cpu/ram, and at that point, with the board unplugged (which it would be of course, but _actually_ unplugged and not just powered down), clear the cmos (which resets all the pci-e data to the minimum config possible because you've pulled all the hardware)
  :and start adding stuff back in. Your problem may or may not go away, and it may or may not come back.

How quality/new is your PSU? Got a backup?

I know the feeling. It's a shame to have to push good hardware because one piece goes flaky and they no longer make replacements. I have a i7-750 laying around with the same type of problems, although I need to spend more time investigating.

Not sure as to your intended usage, but if the purpose of the setup is just gaming, and normally just a single gpu, you're better off with a straight Haswell replacement. The only real benefit to LGA2011 is the extra pci-e lanes... which you don't need if you're not actually putting them to use.

In fact, for single gpu gaming, an argument can be made to switch to the AMD side of things, unless you're specifically playing games like Starcraft II, which are cpu hogs due to all the AI processing. I like my x79 setup, but for the money I spent, I could have simply gotten a core i7/2600 at the time and used the leftover for something else. If I had it to do over, I'd probably follow my own advice here, and either go Haswell or AMD.

If you do go with LGA2011, the new Ivy Bridge E cpu's have soldered heat spreaders, so they run cooler than normal Ivy Bridge processors... (which intel used thermal paste on instead of solder to save costs... but they run hotter)

You could always look into one of those new AMD firebreathers for us.... the FX-9590 pushes _146_ amps through the cpu socket during normal operation biggrin  (220 watt thermal envelope at 1.5 volts!!!)

Atomic
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 01:09:58 AM »

Unplugging the optical drive(s)... see if your hang goes away.
  :if it does, try a different cable
Repeat with the rest of your hard drives.

I'll try that

How quality/new is your PSU? Got a backup?
  1000W Corsair PSU.  It's just over a year old. 

I know the feeling. It's a shame to have to push good hardware because one piece goes flaky and they no longer make replacements. I have a i7-750 laying around with the same type of problems, although I need to spend more time investigating.
I could just do a replacement board, but I don't want to then be buying a new board again in another year to upgrade. 

Not sure as to your intended usage, but if the purpose of the setup is just gaming, and normally just a single gpu, you're better off with a straight Haswell replacement. The only real benefit to LGA2011 is the extra pci-e lanes... which you don't need if you're not actually putting them to use.
Gaming to be sure, but I also do serious video rendering.   Taking hundreds of gigs of video and cutting them together and converting them takes a lot of power and a lot of RAM (I have 32GB), so I'm thinking Intel and multi-core is my option. 

If you do go with LGA2011, the new Ivy Bridge E cpu's have soldered heat spreaders, so they run cooler than normal Ivy Bridge processors... (which intel used thermal paste on instead of solder to save costs... but they run hotter)
  Interesting, I'll have to look into this a bit...

You could always look into one of those new AMD firebreathers for us.... the FX-9590 pushes _146_ amps through the cpu socket during normal operation biggrin  (220 watt thermal envelope at 1.5 volts!!!)
Haven't even heard of those!   I'll include it in my research.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 04:15:56 AM »

So, what was the verdict?

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 03:27:26 AM »

Still nothing?

Atomic
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on September 23, 2013, 03:27:26 AM

Still nothing?

Atomic

Gah, sorry.  I ended up RMA'ing the board.  The new one works like a charm. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: