http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:50:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got some trouble on my router  (Read 1633 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2004, 07:55:49 PM »

I'm using a Linksys 6-port router model number #BEFSR41 and it's giving me fits right now. Just this past week, I'll be working along just fine and the internet connection will drop. I can go into the router and then release and renew and sometimes that fixes it, but other times I unplug the router then plug it back in and that fixes it. What the hell?

Here are the stats: Above router as mentioned, Comcast cable internet, I'm using Win XP, and here's the X Factor: A co-worker has a computer that was virus/spyware ridden and I brought it home to work on. I did plug it into the router and went out to get Ad Aware and run some virus scans on, but I didn't think viruses could affect routers or that this would have any adverse affect on it. Could this be an issue, or might it be something else? Thoughts?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 09:09:20 PM »

One thing you could do is to check to see if your router has a firmware update, and if so apply it, and see if that has a positive effect.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 09:38:44 PM »

I checked the Linksys site and the firmware there is listed as back in April. The guy I got it from on GG said he upgraded it to the latest version before he sent it to me, and this would have been in August. So everything there should be current enough. I'm thinking if just plugging one PC straight into the cable connection and seeing if that remains up for the evening would make a difference. If that's what really is dropping/blinking then obviously the router would drop too.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 05:07:25 AM »

Try changing out your network cables.  If you don't have any available, try reseating them (unplugging, and plugging them back in).  Although, I would recommend atleast replacing the one between your cable modem and your router.

Second, are you dropping during a game, or just at random times?  I know I used to go linkdead in EQ on my Dad's Linksys router when I would go visit them during the holidays.

Have you tried resetting your Linksys router back to the default settings?  There might be some configuration that is causing problems.  If you do reset it, be sure to change the password.  Don't keep it at the default of 'admin'.

Lastly, grab a copy of PingPlotter (http://www.pingplotter.com), and monitor to see where the connection is dying.  Would be a good way to see if you are also experiencing packet loss with your cable provider.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 05:27:29 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
I'm thinking if just plugging one PC straight into the cable connection and seeing if that remains up for the evening would make a difference. If that's what really is dropping/blinking then obviously the router would drop too.

I was actually going to suggest that very thing. How'd it go?

How does this work again?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 10:52:40 PM »

Haven't had to try it because the connection has now been up for a few days straight. Go figure.

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 12:10:23 PM »

Powering off any electronic device will sometimes fix it, unexplicably.
If you leave a computer or device with memory off for 5 seconds or so the memory will reset.  I haven't heard of a virus that would effect a router but I wouldn't be surprised if they exist, but the virus would be on the computer and not the router.  Occasionally any internet device is going to stop working, for not reason, doesn't mean it's broken or anything ominous is taking place, particularly since it is working again now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: