http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 03:50:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good, quality PSU recommendations?  (Read 1513 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2004, 09:58:02 PM »

Having been stung by the Cheap Bug, and getting what I paid for with a really POS PSU, I decided screw with money, I'm going to get a GOOD quality PSU.

But I'd like to keep it reasonably priced - the machine is a very low-demand system - a 2200+ Sempron, 256 MB of RAM, onboard sound/video, one CD burner, one 7200 RPM HD.

So I'd guess I'll be fine with a 250-300 watt PSU. Any recommendations on brands, etc?  On my current system I have a Antec 420w PSU, and it's been trustworthy, so I like Antec. But their PSU's are a bit pricey. What do you guys think?
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 12:08:15 AM »

http://www.silentpcreview.com/index.php

They have a lot of reviews and tons of info in their forums. I'd stick with Fortron Source, Antec, Enermax or maybe thermaltake. Fortron and thermaltake being cheaper brands depending on models.
Gordon Bleu
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 04:09:19 PM »

I bought a Seasonic 400w and it's excellent. Kinda pricey but worth it, IMO.
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 08:25:15 AM »

My last two power supplies have been Enermax.  My current one is a 420W Noisetaker EG425P-VE which has some pretty nice features.  One I think is nice, after power off it runs the fans for two minutes or until the case temp is under 40'C.  It has super stable voltages and dual +12V rails for cleaner output.  I know it helped me get a higher stable overclock on my Athlon.  There's also a separate dedicated power connector for video cards.

The Noisetaker and the Seasonic that Gordon has are the top two on Silent PC Review's recommended list.  The Seasonic is quieter but the Noisetaker has more features and higher efficiency.

(HBZ)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 12:36:21 PM »

Spend the money on the Antec.  I have their Truepower 430 and have not regretted it.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 03:22:03 PM »

Another vote for Antec.  Good service too.  I had one go out on me 5 years ago.  They overnighted a new PS and I didn't even have to send the old one back.
Byrns
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 06:29:28 PM »

Yep Antec and Enermax are both great. Personally I want an Ultra X-Connect...

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_info.php?products_id=169
Semperfi73
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 06:23:06 PM »

I'll definitely second the Antec recommendations - have built three systems using them and they've been super.  At the moment I'm working on a new system and decided to bite the bullet (price-wise) - purchased a PC Power and Cooling PS based on "Maximum PC" magazines glowing recommendation year after year.  Will let you know how that turns out.  Take care and Merry Christmas to all Stateside.  Your resident Jarhead

Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: