http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 11:13:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good photo management software?  (Read 613 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2008, 05:55:15 AM »

I recently got back from a trip to Japan and Vietnam and have a lot of photos, some I want to keep, some I want to post online.  I've also got a good library of reference photos that I've taken for my paintings.

I need some good software that'll help manage all my photos.  I really only know of ACDSee right now.  I'd like something that's a bit sleek and won't try to take over every image related aspect of my computer when I install it.  And yes, I'm willing to pay for a good package.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 02:15:38 PM »

I've always been a fan of Irfanview. While it offers little more than the basics (loading, converting, cropping, light editing, etc), it's completely and totally free.

Might as well give it a whirl and see if it does what you need.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »

For free options I've been happy with Google's Picasa, though I haven't used it that much yet.  Keeps things organized without being too intrusive, and easily integrates with Google's version of Flickr.

For pay options, I've heard great things about Lightbook.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »

I actually liked Picasa more before Google gots its grubby meat hooks on it.  Tongue

I use Irfanview for viewing/cropping (any screenshots I've shared here, I used Irfanview for) though it isn't really photo management per se.

I would give some thought to whether you want to arrange photos chronologically, by subject matter, by event (trip, vacation, etc.). Some of the photo management software is better at arranging that stuff than others. Some of them save an original copy when you crop, so that your original photos remain intact.

These days I've given up on the whole managing idea. I just lump em under certain date folders in the MyDocuments/MyPictures folder, and backup them up to an external hard drive from time to time. Managing my photos just started to feel too much like a second job.  puke

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: