http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 08:45:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good headset for PC Gaming?  (Read 2108 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:52:59 PM »

I need to grab a headset for all the fun multiplayer titles out this fall (TF2, Hellgate, WiC, etc).  I have no idea what to look for, or how to start.  I have a Soundblaster X-Fi.  Do I plug into the back of this, or get a USB headset?  Does all the sound come out the headset instead of my speakers when I plug in?  I'm completely new here.  Help!

(Ideally, it'd be like XBox live, just a headset for the microphone and voices..)

---
XBox Live: ScottW
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 12:12:11 AM »

I am happy with my Razer Barracuda.  Also, I had a set of Sennheiers (forgot the model) and was in love with them.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 03:45:45 AM »

Well, you ask a lot of questions, and the answers can all vary (as I don't know the specifics on your soundcard at all):

Depending on your soundcard, you may or may not have more than one 'speaker' plug. If you have two, you can plug your speakers into one, and the headset into another. That way you can choose which one to use. Or, if you're like me, I have a simple splitter that splits the sound into both items.

Personally, I'd get good 'standard' (non-USB) headset for use with your online gaming. A USB one could completely mess things up. All soundcards have a mic port, so you'll just be able to purchase any non-USB headset and it'll just work once you plug the cables into the right holes.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 04:07:46 AM »

I always just had a single overear boom mic without headphones part. All sound came from my speakers. but I cant find that kind at all these days.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 08:47:05 PM »

I previously had that Microsoft hockey-puck looking thing, but since it was plugged into my sound card, it didn't separate the voice and the game sounds.

I got the USB kind- having only the sound come out of the speakers and only the voice come out of the headphones seems like a better way to go.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 06:11:57 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable
I got the USB kind- having only the sound come out of the speakers and only the voice come out of the headphones seems like a better way to go.

It works great until you get muted by people who get tired of hearing your game sounds over your mic.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 01:02:22 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 21, 2007, 04:07:46 AM

I always just had a single overear boom mic without headphones part. All sound came from my speakers. but I cant find that kind at all these days.

My search skills are failing me, but in an earlier thread I asked about an earpiece-less mic and someone directed me toward an online seller of $7 single overear boom mics without the headphone parts.  I prefer them too.

If I remember to check at home, I'll be able to look up the brand name.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 09:25:26 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 28, 2007, 06:11:57 AM

It works great until you get muted by people who get tired of hearing your game sounds over your mic.

Isn't that going to happen anyway?  Well, assuming you are using speakers, I mean.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 07:45:22 PM »

Isn't that going to happen anyway?  Well, assuming you are using speakers, I mean.

Yes. That's why 90% of the people I play multiplayer PC games with use headphones for all sound during any multiplayer involving voice chat.

Not to mention you get better awareness and positional audio cues anyway.

The only way to not annoy people if you're going to use speakers is setting up a push to talk button for your voice chat and that just sucks.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 07:48:16 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 05:09:32 PM »

Thank you Freezer-TPF- for reminding me.  The Labtec mic-only headset is great and can be had for less than $10.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 09:23:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 11, 2007, 05:09:32 PM

Thank you Freezer-TPF- for reminding me.  The Labtec mic-only headset is great and can be had for less than $10.

Thank you kindly for mistaking me for Freezer. I am not Freezer , but if I were Im sure I would say "hey np" smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »

Wiseguy. smile  Earlier I tried to remember the name of the headset for you, and couldn't remember until Freezer mentioned it again in OO.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 02:30:12 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 30, 2007, 07:45:22 PM

The only way to not annoy people if you're going to use speakers is setting up a push to talk button for your voice chat and that just sucks.

I end up doing that anyways as occasionally I'll start cursing up a storm and don't want to forget to hit the mute button.   Not to mention last time I tried it I ended up getting a horrid echo over the speakers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 02:32:17 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 01:03:54 AM »

The advantage to getting a seperate headset, is that you have two audio sources. one is your sound card, generally sending to your speakers, and the other is your headset, which can be fed via usb connection, rather than a soundcard.

the advantage to this is you have crystal clear voice comms, even when the game starts getting loud/intrusive, due to that huge raid/massive pvp battle, or because you turned the sound waaaaay up so you can't hear your little brother beating on your door, etc.

the disadvantage is when you get a game with built in voice software, that DOESNT understand it might be on a seperate device from the soundcard.

But, for instance, you can easily setup teamspeak to only use the usb headset for input/output, and let the game do it's normal thing via the soundcard.

I use a plantronics headset, and it's very very nice, imo. No echo on the mic, doesnt pick up breathing noises/wind/etc.

I actually have the DSP500's, but these are the most similar to mine, from newegg, at the moment. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265014

Atomic

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 02:28:04 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 30, 2007, 07:45:22 PM

Yes. That's why 90% of the people I play multiplayer PC games with use headphones for all sound during any multiplayer involving voice chat.

Not to mention you get better awareness and positional audio cues anyway.

that's not really true...a good voice-activated headset/mic with noise cancellation works without the sound from your speakers bleeding over all the time.  the headset for the 360 is a perfect example.  it ignores all but the loudest background noise and only transmits voice when you're actually talking (unless you have the speaker volume up really loud or somebody's a mouth-breather).  i can crank up my sound system and it never broadcasts anything unless i'm talking...'push to talk' is completely unnecessary.  i've even used it for PC gaming by passing it through a wired 360 controller...it registers and works just like any other USB headset.  if you're using it with Teamspeak, you can even set it up so that only voice chat goes through the headset (incoming audio and mic), while all other game sounds are heard through your speakers.  very nice icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 07:10:10 AM »

So seriously-could someone please recommend a nice like 15$ headset please? I would reallly like to get one with all the upcoming PC fps I will be playing.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 04:06:24 PM »

Umm. Cannot make a product recommendation in that category/price range. No experience. Just remember, you get what you pay for (minus profit, unspoken but always there).

Plantronics makes several varieties of both usb and 'normal' headsets, and they've been making telephony headsets of different types for YEARS, starting in the office space. I'd say just look over their stuff and see if something makes you happy.

Atomic
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 15, 2007, 07:10:10 AM

So seriously-could someone please recommend a nice like 15$ headset please? I would reallly like to get one with all the upcoming PC fps I will be playing.

Even if I had $100 to blow on a headset, I'd still just want the reliable <$10 Labtec mic-only headset.

This lets me have a mic with my regular speaker sound system, which is the way I usually have it, and for the times when I want to be quiet I can very comfortably fit my cushy Sennheiser earphones over top the Labtec.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 12:49:12 AM »

I'd say to avoid this Logitech Headset.  I picked it up because it was inexpensive but the mic barely picks up my voice when I speak using a normal tone of voice.  I haven't found another cheap one yet, but I'm not going to go the cheap route this time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 02:30:27 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 15, 2007, 05:16:00 PM

Even if I had $100 to blow on a headset, I'd still just want the reliable <$10 Labtec mic-only headset.

This lets me have a mic with my regular speaker sound system, which is the way I usually have it, and for the times when I want to be quiet I can very comfortably fit my cushy Sennheiser earphones over top the Labtec.
Ok thanks that is exactly what I want, since I use my Senny's frequently in those situations.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 07:42:17 PM »

I've been really happy with a Plantronics 350 headset (I went with the $30-$35 non-USB version, but there is a USB version available at a higher price):
http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat640035/cat640035/prod5500009?prodfind=true&mftr=

The microphone neatly folds nearly flush with the headband so it's completely out of the way when you don't need it. The microphone works great for voice comm in games. I bought their little switch box to try to sort out my connectors a bit (it helped me finally get some voice problems worked out. It runs about $10 most places.
http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat640035/cat3600586/prod3090125

I regret to say I'm not really playing any PC multiplayer right now, so it's all a moot point for me -- but the headphones work great for games and have deep bass response.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 09:01:05 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 24, 2007, 07:42:17 PM

I've been really happy with a Plantronics 350 headset (I went with the $30-$35 non-USB version, but there is a USB version available at a higher price):
http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat640035/cat640035/prod5500009?prodfind=true&mftr=

The microphone neatly folds nearly flush with the headband so it's completely out of the way when you don't need it. The microphone works great for voice comm in games. I bought their little switch box to try to sort out my connectors a bit (it helped me finally get some voice problems worked out. It runs about $10 most places.
http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat640035/cat3600586/prod3090125

I regret to say I'm not really playing any PC multiplayer right now, so it's all a moot point for me -- but the headphones work great for games and have deep bass response.

Interesting and only $20 at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265009

Here is a similar gaming Plantronics for the same price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106069
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:07:25 PM by Jag » Logged
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 07:39:58 PM »

I bought some Logitech ones that have USB capability.  I don't think I hooked up my front speaker/mic jacks right when I built this rig (and I can't access the back of the computer very well as it's in a huge comp-armoir) so rather than fix it I just bought one that can go through my front USB ports. 

I think it was these as I just stopped by a Staples on my way home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: