http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:00:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: good, free firewall?  (Read 2120 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2004, 08:25:11 PM »

I had started to research this a while back at GG.  Are there any good, free firewalls out there?  Not a free trial, but a free program.  Also please tell me how it would affect games both online and off.  Thanks.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 09:00:40 PM »

Zone Alarm is one of the better firewalls with a free version.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 10:24:44 PM »

My pick is Sygate Free Personal Firewall.  I previously had significant speed and connection/stability problems with Zonealarm on an otherwise stable rig, but have had zero issues since switching to Sygate.  A lot of people love ZA, but it did not work smoothly for me at all.

In general, the firewall will just alert you when a game or other app tries to access the internet, prompting you to either allow it or deny it.  You can also tell it to always allow the program to get out so you don't have to give it permission every time.

Sygate: http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 01:03:50 AM »

I also used ZoneAlarm (free version) for awhile but ran into the same problem where it would seemingly randomly make my rig unable to access the internet.

I switched to Sygate (free version), and have been very happy with it, and with no problems.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 01:40:32 AM »

while ZA is probably going to get the most endorsements around here, i'll throw another name into the mix...

Outpost Firewall from Agnitum

i used the free version for almost a year on my old PC and it works really well...it's still there, but i don't that system has been relegated to a backup now.  i decided to give ZA a shot on my newer system just to be different and have stuck with it...there's very little difference in the two, and both do their job well though.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 02:59:35 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  I'll be giving ZoneAlarm the pass and looking into sygate.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 04:31:39 PM »

I have used one called Tiny Personal Firewall for a while now, it works great, is unobtrusive, easy to use, and most importantly, free.  

www.webmasterfree.com/tpfw.html
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 11:45:09 PM »

Best Buy is selling the retail boxed copy of Zone Alarm Pro 5, the most current version, for 9.99 after a rebate.

That aint free, but its a steal as the program is usually $40.

olaf
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 12:51:08 AM »

Quote from: "olaf"
Best Buy is selling the retail boxed copy of Zone Alarm Pro 5, the most current version, for 9.99 after a rebate.

That aint free, but its a steal as the program is usually $40.

olaf

No kidding? The free one is sans a few features I'd like to have. I may have to check that out.

-Cota
Grundbegriff
Gaming Trend Reader

Maryland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 01:25:45 AM »

I've used the free version of ZoneAlarm for years without a problem.

Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 10:01:50 AM »

Kerio personal firewall is basically a more feature full, faster version of zone alarm. I used to use zone alarm before i got tired of it hogging too much of my resources and switched to kpf. Its also free too for the personal version.
Fishbelly
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 02:35:44 PM »

I'll throw in another vote for Kerio--I also had connection problems after Zone Alarm updated to their latest version.  Kerio works as well as Zone Alarm (for me), with no hassles at all.

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

Woody Allen
Zitterbacke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 03:38:18 PM »

Sygate PF for me, too. After Kerio (long time used till it go too bloated), Outpost (gave me a few bluescreens, I don't need that, didn't stay long, but was a good concept and might work perfect now), Zonealarm was on only for a few days, I simply didn't like it's concept, and took my freedom of choice. Since I have a router/firewall now I only use it for outgoing restriction. If you are going to pay money for a Firewall, then pay it to a Router/Firewall combination. Thats works with every OS and mine offers Dyndns service, which is pretty neat when you think about a NAS aswell. Networkstorage without online Computer and reachable worldwide. Love that. An $30 Investion. Plus you get a 4 Port Switch in Addition normally.

BF2: BanthaPooDoh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: