http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 01:53:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good & free AV software?  (Read 2026 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2004, 08:08:48 PM »

Hey gang, I seem to recall a lengthy discussion on this once before but maybe that was just at GG. Anyway, I was hopeful you guys would have some listings as to good, quality Anti-Virus software that was also free. Thoughts and opinions are always welcome. Thanks!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 08:15:56 PM »

http://www.avast.com/ Works for me. Some even say it's better than Norton and I have to agree. It updates almost daily.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 08:40:00 PM »

It's stuff like this that makes me a bit ticked that the GG forums went away without a trace. We had some good threads on the subject.  :evil:

I can't find the site that I had been to that reviews antivirus software, but I do remember that none of the free programs stood up to Norton. That's what I have used for a couple years now, and am quite satisfied with it. If interested, look on eBay for dirt cheap deals, and when it's time to ante up for another year of subscription service via Norton, just go back to eBay and buy another copy for less than the subscription renewal fee.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 09:23:18 PM »

I highly recommend AVG from Grisoft....get it at  http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

It has automatic update, automatic scanning, etc etc etc....very good program.  (and yes, its FrEe!)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 02:26:40 AM »

There's always Trend Micro - it's entirely on the web, so there's nothing to actually download (short of a small file into IE itself):

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 10:48:35 AM »

I used to use AVG, but awhile back It seemed like I could never get thru to update. So, On someones suggestion on the old forum, I tried Avast! I like it alot better and it seems to offer a better feature set, even without the ability to schedule scans (That I can see).

Its free, updates itself with great frequency and the price is right.  Nortons is now way too bloated for my taste, at least in the AV Market. Ghost 9 OTOH, I <3 that , but of course that may be because its now basically driveimage pro smile

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Fishbelly
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 12:06:28 AM »

I left AVG for Avast as well, after the latest update was causing me problems.  Avast has been rock solid for me, seems to update much more often than AVG, and as previousyl mentioned--the price is definitely right.

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

Woody Allen
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 06:40:37 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"
If interested, look on eBay for dirt cheap deals, and when it's time to ante up for another year of subscription service via Norton, just go back to eBay and buy another copy for less than the subscription renewal fee.

The subscription service time resets itself every time you install it.
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 08:51:17 PM »

I use AVast too.  One thing though, it seems like it's good at blocking viruses but not so good at cleanup if you do get infected.  I installed it on a friend's computer who had a severe virus problem.  It did get rid of most but repairs generally didn't work, delete was the only option.  There were some that it just couldn't get rid of at all.  We tried AVG and it didn't seem to do much better.  Norton did succeed at cleaning out the viruses though.  If you already have a virus problem the free scanners might not be able to help you.

(HBZ)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: