http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 09:35:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GeForce GTX TITAN announced -GTX 780/770  (Read 3575 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »

yeah, I stumbled across the mention that the lesser card may cause the 780 to run slower.  I've also seen places that say an SLI bridge is not needed; that thought occurred to me as well though.

I figured it would be a simple matter of moving the card over for a possible boost in performance, but after cracking my rig open and moving the card back and forth several times I;m writing it off as a failed experiment.  Plus, fall semester online classes are starting in about a week and I'm thinking any more tinkering might be tempting fate, so I won't be doing any more work on the system until the end of the year at the earliest smile

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »

Yeah you don't use the SLi bridge for physx only card. Just put the physx card in the open slot and then in the nvidia control panel go to"set Phyx Config" and tell the system to use the 500 as the physx card. That should work unless you have some weird hardware conflict.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 04:09:12 AM »

fired up Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning for the first time since upgrading, and found out that I really need to leave vsync on for that game.  with it off I was getting around 200 FPS in game, and on the menus the FPS was going to 6000 or more.  since some times I leave the PC for a bit and just bring up the game menus to pause them, I think I'll have to be mindful of that.  I remember an issue with Starcraft 2 where the menus would cause the framerate to spike to insane numbers and cause overheating.

first game I've had the framerate spike like that, good thing I'm still in the 'I wonder what FRAPS will say about this one' phase icon_lol

Because I can,
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 05:51:45 AM »

Try enabling triple-buffering instead. You can do it in the nvidia options, not sure about the game options since I don't have that one.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2

Article is from before nvidia adding adaptive vsync to its feature set, notably.

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 04:03:27 AM »

Oooh! I just had a thought. EVGA's Precision X utility has a 'framerate target' function available in it. You could leave vsync disabled, or enable triple buffering as I suggested to reduce tearing, and set your framerate target to whatever you like, for the best of all worlds.

www.evga.com/precision/

Atomic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 07:21:24 PM »

I'll have to check that out.

I also have a confession to make:  since I got the 780 and a 3D ready monitor I just made an impulse buy on the nVidia 3D Vision 2 kit.  figure it should be a fun experiment smile

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 15, 2013, 07:21:24 PM

I also have a confession to make:  since I got the 780 and a 3D ready monitor I just made an impulse buy on the nVidia 3D Vision 2 kit.  figure it should be a fun experiment smile

I'm still rocking a 570 GTX.  The rest of my system is obscene, but the graphics card is getting long in the tooth.  I wonder if SLI would be good or replacing the card would be better.....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2013, 12:13:30 AM »

You know, I had dual 8800GTS cards for a long time, but I like not having to worry about whether a particular game supports SLI or not. I currently have a single 6970, and have been happy with a single card. I don't know, I was just never sure if I was benefitting from the dual setup or not.

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 16, 2013, 10:15:56 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 15, 2013, 07:21:24 PM

I'm still rocking a 570 GTX.  The rest of my system is obscene, but the graphics card is getting long in the tooth.  I wonder if SLI would be good or replacing the card would be better.....

Ruining language with my terrible words.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 17, 2013, 12:13:30 AM

You know, I had dual 8800GTS cards for a long time, but I like not having to worry about whether a particular game supports SLI or not. I currently have a single 6970, and have been happy with a single card. I don't know, I was just never sure if I was benefitting from the dual setup or not.

In much the same boat. Running 460s in SLI and while the vast majority of things run fine (but benefiting from it?) I'd run across the occasional odd game issue that would force me to disable SLI to play it. And then I'd forget to turn it back on and not really notice.  [sigh]  Been seriously considering going back to one Big Ass Video Card.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 17, 2013, 01:50:46 PM

Quote from: Misguided on August 17, 2013, 12:13:30 AM

In much the same boat. Running 460s in SLI and while the vast majority of things run fine (but benefiting from it?) I'd run across the occasional odd game issue that would force me to disable SLI to play it. And then I'd forget to turn it back on and not really notice.  [sigh]  Been seriously considering going back to one Big Ass Video Card.  icon_wink

I just upgraded from that same setup to a single 760 and I don't regret it at all. At $250 it's a beast of a card, easily faster than your twin 460s and a year or two down the road it will be even cheaper to get another 760 for SLi, which will give you better performance than any single card currently on the market.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2013, 04:15:59 AM »

Been poking at my card and reading around a bit. According to nvidia here...

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780/specifications

... the maximum gpu temperature rolls in at 95c. This, I believe, is the point at which the card says 'screw you, we are shutting you down before you hurt us'.

According to the anandtech gtx 780 review here...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/19  (down on page 19, though the link should place you there)

... the point at which the card starts throttling is at 80c. Although I've read at least once somewhere that there may be more than one throttle point, starting at 70c? (progressive throttling certainly sounds effective. maybe there is something to it)

Anyways, after digesting that a bit, I've decided to alter my settings on evga precision, which I now use instead of msi's afterburner software, mostly for the framerate targeting function. I was setting my fan to max out 100% once the card hit 77c, but I've actually lowered that to 69c. The reasoning is that, if the card is working that much, whatever I'm doing, I'm pretty heavily involved in, and the fan noise doesn't bother me. It's also not actually that loud, even AT 100% fans.

This also maxes the fan out BEFORE it hits any throttle points.. if there IS one at 70c, the fans will max out before the card gets there... and even if the card doesnt throttle til it hits 80c, that gives me a full 10c of wiggle room for the fans to keep the card from hitting the throttle point.

And, of course, sitting at the desktop, etc, the card is pleasantly quiet. Inaudible over the rest of the already quiet box, which is three feet from my head near the back of my desk.

Testing ensues. I don't expect to pick up much, from this. But every little bit helps, and it's better for the card in the long run. Hopefully this info and my thoughts on it will be of value to you guys.

Atomic
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »

I'm looking at EVGA cards in their 760/770/780 line but I'm unclear what the differences in the models mean. Specifically, I'm seeing:

xxx (base model)
xxx SC
xxx FTW
xxx Classified
xxx Classified HC

I get that HC is "Hydro Copper" and is for a water-cooled rig, which is not something I have. Just not sure about the others... SC is Super Clocked so I guess just OC'd out of the box. I was going to joke that FTW was "For The Win" but that's exactly what it stands for. What it means spec-wise I have no idea, nor what makes a Classified a classified. I'll go poke around again on the EVGA site but was wondering if anyone here had any experience with these cards. I love the brand and currently have an SLI pair of their 460s in my rig that I'm considering replacing with one of these.

-craig

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2013, 06:41:07 PM »

if I understand it correctly, Classifieds are usually overclocked a bit more and are a limited run.  The SC and FTW are probably the sweet spots, usually being just a bit more than the regular card but not as expensive as the Classifieds.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2013, 09:22:04 PM »

rumors are flying around that this will be faster than the Titan yet cheaper.  if you hover the mouse over the pic on the news page they say 'nVidia's newest and fastest graphics card ever'.

I also hear that AMD is readying their next salvo in the GPU Wars.

Because I can,
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2013, 07:17:18 AM »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »

nVidia has also announced that, starting Oct 18th, people purchasing their 700-series cards will receive downloadable copies of Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Assassin's Creed IV and Batman: Arkham Origins.  Those three games were already on my Buy List for this year, so that works out to about $150 off a new GPU for me....

(There's also a $100-off the nVidia Shield for people buying the 780, but I'm not interested in that myself.)

-Autistic Angel
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2013, 02:01:08 PM »

Well... farg. I pulled the trigger on a "700 series card" on October 9th.

-craig

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2013, 06:31:37 PM »

Yeah, same here; I got a new 760 just last month.  I did at least get Batman: Arkham Origins but that was it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2013, 07:25:38 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 19, 2013, 06:31:37 PM

Yeah, same here; I got a new 760 just last month.  I did at least get Batman: Arkham Origins but that was it.

they just changed the bundles too.  Starting the 28th:

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 19, 2013, 06:31:37 PM

Totally forgot about the free games... just registered the 780 FTW and got Steam codes for Rise of the Triad (yay?) and Arkham Origins. I had a 15% discount coupon as well so I don't feel too bad about the whole deal.

-craig

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2013, 08:38:21 AM »

* TheAtomicKid screams and faints...

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5823/amd-radeon-r9-290x-4gb-reference-video-card-review/index.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X/

The stock cooler is a little loud... but the performance is there. _really_ there.

And a hundred bucks cheaper than a 780gtx at that.

Atomic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on October 24, 2013, 08:38:21 AM

I'm confused by their Skyrim scores.  I ran the game in 1920x1080 with everything maxed with a lesser rig w/ a GTX 780 and was hitting 120 FPS, yet their hitting 80 FPS.  granted, anything over 60 can break the game, but I wonder what they're doing differently.

as for the card, impressive.  I won't be running out to grab one right away but I may keep them in mind for my next rig.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2013, 06:51:38 PM »

Fuck. Had a line on a 760 OC for 240CAD, but I want those two games free.

After playing Borderlands 2 w. PhysX (and plan on eventually finishing the DLCs) I simply can't got AMD at this point.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »

yeah, PhysX ruins a lot of things.  See the Origins video showing the game with and without for a good example.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2013, 08:11:25 PM »

ruins or spoils?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2013, 08:12:45 PM »

both.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »

You found it ruins the game? I enjoyed the chaos in Borderlands 2, and I thought it did well in the previous two Batmans.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2013, 08:22:10 PM »

it ruins playing the game on anything other than an nVidia card, thus spoiling me with the extra PhysX, so 'both'  biggrin

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2013, 10:29:13 PM »

AMD is really stepping up their game. Now they need to do the same with their processors or I'm going to wind up with an Intel motherboard a year from now.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 24, 2013, 10:29:13 PM

AMD is really stepping up their game. Now they need to do the same with their processors or I'm going to wind up with an Intel motherboard a year from now.

AMD's FX line isn't too far behind Intel's stuff, and the price makes up for the small difference in speed. This has always been AMD's CPU niche and I doubt it's going to change any time soon.

I personally have an AMD FX powered PC and an i7 powered PC and the CPU's don't give me any noticeable difference. The bigger factor by far is the GPU.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2013, 02:03:47 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 25, 2013, 10:54:33 AM

Quote from: Teggy on October 24, 2013, 10:29:13 PM

AMD's FX line isn't too far behind Intel's stuff, and the price makes up for the small difference in speed. This has always been AMD's CPU niche and I doubt it's going to change any time soon.

I personally have an AMD FX powered PC and an i7 powered PC and the CPU's don't give me any noticeable difference. The bigger factor by far is the GPU.

Hm, that's not really what I've seen in benchmarks. I'd like to see them put something out that at least competes with the i5-2500K, much less some of the better Intel chips. According to Tom's, even their best cpu is still a step below. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

Obviously it depends on the game, but some games are still cpu limited.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2013, 12:26:53 AM »

Several sites are reporting that nVidia has just knocked $150 off the MSRP for the GTX 780, and about $70 off the 770.  Here's one.

And they still come with those free games! nod

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2013, 01:03:01 AM »

looks like Newegg dropped $110 off the 780 I bought at the beginning of the summer.  tempted to go SLI, but I'd like more info on the 780 Ti first (plus I already own 2 of the 3 games and AC4 isn't the Gold Edition).

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2013, 03:24:53 AM »

Supposed to be $150 off as of tomorrow according to this article. I been thinking of scrapping my Crossfire setup since its been so problematic and just going with a single good 780 card. This price reduction will certainly help with the decision.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2013, 04:06:56 AM »

I bit on the 780. With 2 660tis to sell plus some of the games, it will wind up costing me very little.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2013, 04:09:51 AM »

I bit on the GTX 760 OC.

At 240USD with AC4 and Splinter Cell, its a big step up from my 460.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2013, 04:35:35 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 29, 2013, 03:24:53 AM

Supposed to be $150 off as of tomorrow according to this article. I been thinking of scrapping my Crossfire setup since its been so problematic and just going with a single good 780 card. This price reduction will certainly help with the decision.

or you could get 2 for SLI icon_twisted

Because I can,
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2013, 07:35:45 AM »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1460915

* TheAtomicKid whimpers a little bit...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on October 30, 2013, 07:35:45 AM

if I didn't already have one 780 I'd be all over that.  my 580 was a MSI card, and I'm pretty sure the fans were the same; it ran quiet and cool.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »

Looks like the $150 discount is starting to hit the other 780 cards now. The card I really want, the Asus 780, is now $519. But waiting on Amazon to match the price. Got some gift cards I can against it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: