http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:14:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaming and multimedia machine advice needed badly.  (Read 823 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2013, 05:49:36 AM »

So here's the scoop. My ps3 died yesterday. I don't want to replace it because of the launch of the ps4 soonish. I do have some backlog that needed to get played, but I could let those go I suppose. So I've been thinking of a pc hooked up to my tv in the living room. I have a iMac for some stuff, but not high end gaming obviously. I have a 3ds and a vita which I love. But nothing hooked up to my 47" LG that I love to game on in my living room. I've had falcon NW before, awesome machines, but expensive. I might look at their talon line since it seems more affordable. I don't want to build bc of the stress it would cause me, been wired tightly recently with stuff in life. I just have random questions basically...

Any prebuilt recommendations?
Hooking up a pc to a tv easy with hdmi?
Anything wierd like refresh rate issues with the above?
I don't have a budget yet... Cuz I shouldn't really be doing this at all...but I'm looking closely at this as a viable option. Input please!;)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »

The one thing to consider is putting the money, which you don't have, into a 2GB card. "affordable" is relative, but since the new consoles will likely push this boundary on the GPU, future-proofing would certainly fall there.

Mind you, I have a Q9300 (intel core quad - ~4 yrs old) 8GB of RAM and a 240GB Samsung 840 drive powering an old (and possibly faulty) Nvidia 460 - and it works just fine for all I need it to.

Careful about USB3.0 though...

once you get used to it, you'll throw out all your USB2.0 disks/memory sticks.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:58:32 PM »

I was thinking I needed a 2 Gb card so that's good to know I'm on the right page. USB 3.0 compatible with 2.0 sticks, cables ect? Also, if I choose to take this route, how do you guys set this up in the living room and it not look like ass?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »

USB3 is backwards compatible.

If you're going to plan on keeping the PC there, look at HTPC cases - and remember, don't cheap out on the power supply unit.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 02:14:21 AM »

I sling my media around with PS3 Media center and a cheap switch in my closet.  It can hit an Xbox 360, PS3, and a bunch of other stuff.  It doesn't HAVE to be HDMI or doing some odd PC in the front room.  Cost me an afternoon of wiring.  My PC stays in the office, my media goes where I am. 

As for prebuilt, you could look at Origin or MSI.  I've used both (my laptop is an MSI) and have had great results.   And no, no refresh strangeness.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 05:24:46 AM »

I've had a change of plans, I believe so, for now. I might just grab a new ps3 and use it to play my extensive backlog then later when I have a ps4, just use it for Netflix/random game here or there machine. or maybe, get a 360 for the halos and forzas....it's only 6-9 months away from next gen consoles.... Not sure what to do...
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 04:28:44 AM »

Plans changed!!! Grabbed a 360 with a bunch of $20 games I've never played and a few others on the cheap. Instant cheap catalog. This should hold me over for a awhile. So far my fav is forza horizons. Awesome.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »

Your attention span is worse than mi.... ooo shiny!!

slywink gratz on your purchase.  I strongly suggest that if you plan on streaming media, use the PS3 Media Server software. It's not perfect, but it transcodes fairly well. Just. Don't. Ever. Do. Anything. Other. Than. Play. Or. Pause.

Tongue The 360 is the second worst console for streaming media (unless you're using Netflix - which I haven't tried). The PS3 is a better choice, though it's not worth it for that feature alone. XBMC on a PC is far better than that, or you could even get a media streaming box on the cheap that will generally work better than what they offer, depending on the work you're willing to put in for a setup you want.

Lastly, I'm thinking mid-november for the next Xbox (it seems to be the MS launch window), and I could see Sony putting theirs out 3 weeks in advance of them. So yeah, 7 months. Neither company is going to miss the Black Friday / Christmas rush.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 23, 2013, 04:28:44 AM

Plans changed!!! Grabbed a 360 with a bunch of $20 games I've never played and a few others on the cheap. Instant cheap catalog. This should hold me over for a awhile. So far my fav is forza horizons. Awesome.

you should have gone with a Wii U :p

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 04:29:26 AM »

I thought about a wiiU...Then i didnt;),I figured I could plow through this cheap backlog in the next 6 months. Then just keep it for Netflix and more cheap good games that will still get some play over the next year or so.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 10:45:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 23, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Don't be mean CeeKay....you know there's no software on the Wii U.  slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 26, 2013, 10:45:13 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 23, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Don't be mean CeeKay....you know there's no software on the Wii U.  slywink

Isn't it just a expansion for the wii, right? icon_wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: