http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 12:43:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Games minimizing during gameplay?  (Read 844 times)
dkass
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2007, 11:59:55 AM »

I'm having a problem with my games becoming minimized after about 10-15 minutes of play. I thought it might have something to do with the screeensaver, but tweaking those settings had no effect. Any thoughts?

Thanks, and sorry if this is not the appropriate forum for this question.
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 02:37:53 PM »

This would generally be because something else is trying to take the focus, like anti-virus or a software firewall pop-up? When it does minimize do you have any alerts ont he desktop.. maybe even an instant messenger?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 05:05:50 PM »

Check for spyware and trojans.

I've been running into a LOT of trojans in the last few weeks.  Haven't been checking to see what's currently popular, but there may be a new spyware/trojan combo going around.

BTW, as always, I'm going to pimp SpywareBlaster, since it's the most effective anti-spyware program I've ever seen.
dkass
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 07:30:34 PM »

I have my spyware turned off. Strangely, it only seems to happen with some games. Jade Empre no problems. It seems to constantly happen with STALKER. I'll give that antispyware a try.
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 04:07:40 PM »

One note about SpywareBlaster: it isn't a removal tool.  So if you are already infected, it will not remove anything (although it may prevent the spyware from working properly).

For removal, Windows Defender is pretty good, and I always use Ad Aware and Spybot SD.  They all seem to catch things the others miss.  I have yet to see a removal tool which is superior to all others, so it's best to use a few of them (especially since they are all free).

But when your PC is 'clean', SpywareBlaster does an excellent job of keeping it that way.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 04:10:10 PM by unbreakable » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 02:43:03 AM »

I agree that AdAware and SpyBot S&D are great, and I would add a-squared to that list also since it often catches some things that the others miss (they have a free version available, too, and it's updated nearly daily). 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 02:57:26 AM »

This may sound silly, but especially in FPS games make sure you aren't hitting the "start" Windows button instead of CTRL or ALT. I've accidently minimized games before simply because my pinkie was hitting the wrong key.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 10:32:20 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on March 28, 2007, 02:57:26 AM

This may sound silly, but especially in FPS games make sure you aren't hitting the "start" Windows button instead of CTRL or ALT. I've accidently minimized games before simply because my pinkie was hitting the wrong key.

Ugh, yeah, I second that.  I do that often when I am frantically trying to fight off some enemies...oops...pressed thewindows key.  Lets hope I am still alive.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: