http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 11:31:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FYI: Video Codecs  (Read 977 times)
unbreakable
« on: January 15, 2007, 08:48:14 AM »

Someone recommended CCCP over the K-Lite codec pack a while ago.

I tried CCCP out, and it really did a number on my Windows Media Player.  Stuff was recording terribly (kind of stuttering), it was using a lot of processor power, and it was even causing some BSODs.  And the problems weren't limited to WMC, it was hosing Media Player as well.

I switched to the latest version of K-Lite, and everything was fine.  Actually, better than before, because K-Lite now has a decoder which is compatible with Media Center (the previous one was only compatible with WMP, so fast forward and rewind weren't working correctly).
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:40:28 PM »

I give a thumbsup to the K-Lite pack.  I've used it for years now.  No problems with anything I've thrown at it.  A lot of flexibility if you use Media Player Classic.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 12:37:23 AM »

What exactly is the purpose of Media Player Classic?  I never install it, I just stick with Windows Media Player.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 02:16:39 AM »

I hate the bloat of the Windows Media Player.

Media Player Classic is lightweight, fast, and customizable.  For example, I find the ability to pick codecs to use invaluable when troubleshooting.  Some codecs work better than others and you can either block some, prefer others, choose the output options, stuff like that.  In addition I have my own hotkeys setup.

I think there are other utilities out there to deal with multiple codecs that play the same files, but I find it much easier to use inside MPC.

In a word, streamlined.  It's not a resource hog and you don't have to play with all the "features" that come bundled in WMP.  It doesn't even require a seperate install outside of the package, you can just click and go.  I think it is one file and then creates two more for settings.  You should give it a look sometime.  It won't interfere with your other media players unless you tell it to take over the file associations.  I have it set to run everything, including QT and RM files with the associate Alternatives.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 02:22:47 AM »

I generally find VLC will run anything I throw at it.  However, since I installed XBMC last year I haven't really needed VLC or MPC anymore. 
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 06:13:02 AM »

I have used the CCCP with great success for years now. It's really not intended to be used with windows media player, but instead with one of the included installations of either media player classic, or the other, included player in the install, which I cant remember off the top of my head because I dont use it. In fact, they customize the settings for the players, in the installation, to work best with the CCCP package without any user tweaking needed... because the entire idea of the package, is install it, and go. No muss, no fuss, nothing else needed.

If you had playback issues after installing the pack, something was wrong with the installation, probably a conflict with your existing codecs, etc. The installation instructions specifically recommend removing existing codecs and packs, before installing the CCCP, just for this reason. They even supply a utility they wrote, to help identify what is listed as installed on your system.

My playback is flawless, for the record, and the guys do a wonderful job of keeping the pack up to date, with new releases every few months, including tweaks and tuning.

My only problem with the CCCP, is they only code it for windows... if they'd port the package to linux.... well, that'd be one less barrier on my road to a microsoft free computing environment.

Atomic
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:43:38 PM »

I think the problem with CCCP wasn't so much with the package as much as it was with their lack of support for Windows Media Center.  So, in my case, it falls into a "special needs" category, since I'm not going to stop using WMC (or Media Player: I choose to use only the included MS apps, rather than seeking ways to circumvent them).

As a side matter, there was one component included in K-Lite (and maybe CCCP as well) which caused a lot of problems with WMC, but after installing K-Lite, MS error reporting stated where the problem was coming from, so I just uninstalled it and reinstalled without that component (its called fddshow or something).

I'm just really happy and impressed that K-Lite's included decoder is WMC compatible.  That's a pretty huge thing, if you use WMC.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 06:46:36 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 03:45:19 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 15, 2007, 08:48:14 AM

Someone recommended CCCP over the K-Lite codec pack a while ago.

I tried CCCP out, and it really did a number on my Windows Media Player.  Stuff was recording terribly (kind of stuttering), it was using a lot of processor power, and it was even causing some BSODs.  And the problems weren't limited to WMC, it was hosing Media Player as well.

I switched to the latest version of K-Lite, and everything was fine.  Actually, better than before, because K-Lite now has a decoder which is compatible with Media Center (the previous one was only compatible with WMP, so fast forward and rewind weren't working correctly).

I was the one that recommended K-Lite.  I tried CCCP after that guy recommended it in your old thread, and nearly ended up reformatting my windows..  It was a complete piece of shit.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 06:30:54 AM »

I didn't participate in that thread (but did read it), and I've been using K-Lite for a few years.  That thread was what, sadly, also lead me to try CCCP (although I didnt try CCCP until fairly recently).  I actually found K-Lite because somebody recommended the Real and Quicktime Alternative installs.

OMG, what a great thing they are.  Being able to use Real and Quicktime without having to install their crappy players and buggy software!  I've honestly had to reinstall people's Windows install due to Quicktime totally hosing them.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 06:32:55 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: