http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 11:42:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For those having problems with SecuRom and the Dell 8400  (Read 1018 times)
Scoop20906
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2004, 01:53:10 AM »

For those having problems with SecuRom and the Dell 8400

Just wanted to pass this info along to others who might be having problems with their Dell 8400. I was having serious problems running some games (Half-Life 2, Tron 2.0, Pirates) that used SecuRom as the disk copy protection. There seems to be a problem with the Philips DVD8601 combo drive that came with the 8400. It just would not verify the disc so you could run the game.

I called Dell and here is the solution they gave which has worked and resolved my problem. I am passing this along ...

You need to Flash the DVD drive. You can do this by following these instructions.

Download the files need to flash by entering the following in the browser address bar:

http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/benq/b7p9.cvt.rar

Then

http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/benq/windwflash.rar

UnZip both files into a directory. Run the Windwflash.exe and select the b7p9.cvt.

This process will take a minute.

Reboot and the problem should be resolved.

Please do not try this unless you are positive you have the Philips DVD8601 drive as if you don't it can really mess things up.

If anyone else has any comments on this, please feel free to add to the post. I hope this helps someone who needs it.

Thanks

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 05:30:44 PM »

is this the protection used in Rome Total War? Cuz I can't install it on my newish Dell. In fact, I was so sure the DVD combo drive was bad I called them and insisted they come replace it. Which they did. Did not fix the problem though.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Scoop20906
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 06:40:03 PM »

I don't have Rome Total War so I can say but I wasn't having any problems access the disc or installing the program. The problem happened when I tried to start the program and SecuRom couldn't verify the CD or DVD was in the drive.

Hope that helps...

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: