http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:51:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox woes  (Read 1602 times)
Gryndyl
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2004, 05:26:21 AM »

I've been using firefox for the last week or so. Tonight I start it up and instead of getting my homepage I get a little box asking me to create a new profile or select an existing one. The existing one that was listed was 'default'. I try selecting it and am informed that it's already in use, although I don't have the program running. I create a new profile and it opens a browser page but discards all of my custom settings and all of my installed plugins (!)

I then did a check on system manager and sure enough, under processes there is apparently still an instance of firefox running although it doesn't show on my task bar. I end it and restart...only to find that it is now restarting with the new extension free profile  :x

How do I get it to change back to the default profile? Can't see an option anywhere for it...

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 05:48:17 AM »

From where you are, I'm not sure how to get back to the original default profile.

I just want to say that has happened to me about 3 times since I've been using Firefox. When you get that 'profile in use' message, go to Task manager processes tab and shut down the Firefox process that WILL be there. If you do that without doing anything else, you can then use Firefox as usual, with your usual profile.

I learned that the hard way after deleting Firefox and all associated files the first time it happened, trying to cure what turned out to be a simple problem.  As for WHY that happens to start with, I have no idea.
TorpidSloth
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 11:40:03 AM »

Same thing happened to me just yesteday. To fix it, I had to manually run Firefox from the command line. To do this, go to Start -> Run and type in this line (quotes included):

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

Make any changes to the folder names based on your own installation of the browser (my folder levels represent the default install, which would be correct for you, too, if that's how you installed). This should bring up the prfile chooser and allow you to go back to your previous profile.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 09:06:43 PM »

Seems that the Firefox process continuing to run after being closed is a known issue, apparently triggered by websites containg imbedded video.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: