http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 04:49:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox users: back up your settings/bookmarks before update  (Read 863 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:17:55 PM »

I turned on my computer this morning and Firefox informed me it had performed an automatic update.  It's done this numerous times before, no big deal, right?

First I notice my homepage is changed to the Firefox default...then I notice my bookmarks are gone...then I go to use the Google search box in the toolbar--it's gone as well.

I Google the old fashioned way and it looks like I'm not alone.  This latest update is FUBAR for a lot of people.  I was able to restore my bookmarks from a backup, but I had to reset all my settings manually.  I don't run any extensions, but from some of the boards I was searching it looks like this update has caused problems with those as well.

Might be prudent to make a backup of your bookmarks.html file just in case this happens to you.

I got my bookmarks back from one of the automatic backups, and I had to delete my "localstore.rdf" file to restore my Google toolbar.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 01:27:02 PM »

I just manually (via the check now for updates feature) updated to 1.5.0.5 a few days back. Is there a new patch already?

And this is oddly enough why I have automatic updates turned off across the board (my OS and browser) - incase something goes totally wrong with a patch that I absolutely don't want because of it.

Big glitch.

BTW - what is the best way to backup your settings and bookmarks?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 05:38:54 PM »

Crap....firefox is updating right now!!!

<trying to copy off my bookmarks> YIKES
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 08:53:57 PM »

Now, on the flip side, I talked to my boss on this (who was up at midnight last night and who's a Firefox user) and he said that it updated as usual and caused no harm whatsoever.

Dumb luck is all I can think of.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 07:06:47 AM »

well...I backed up my bookmark.html....upgrade went fine...no problems here smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 01:55:22 PM »

No problems here - everything went smoothly.
Itsatrap
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 10:17:04 PM »

I use an extension that automagically backs up my bookmarks, so I wouldn't have even noticed if the upgrade did something weird to them.

- Alan
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 01:21:13 AM »

Did the backup after reading about firefox already upgraded itself. Turned off "auto-install upgrades" just to be on the safe side in the future. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: