http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 02:06:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox 3.0...What's your take so far?  (Read 2674 times)
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2008, 05:47:40 PM »

I'm using this and so far I'm a little torn.  I'm not sure I like it.  It'll take some getting used to.  I'm glad Mozilla tried to break out of the IE mold with a couple of features.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:57:16 PM »

Its pretty but seems laggy..its as if its using all my system resources. Instead of getting a smooth scroll it kinda flash lags skips.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 05:58:34 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on June 18, 2008, 05:47:40 PM

I'm using this and so far I'm a little torn.  I'm not sure I like it.  It'll take some getting used to.  I'm glad Mozilla tried to break out of the IE mold with a couple of features.

Are you coming to 3.0 from IE or were you already using Firefox?  So far to me it handles largely the same as the Firefox I'm used to, except with extra little features and streamlining scattered about for me to discover and add to my browsing skills at my own pace.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »

As I stated in the other thread, FF3 works better than FF2 did (and FF2 worked very well for me). I just gotta refind the Mouse Gestures plugin I was using before.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 06:11:29 PM »

Somebody toss a link...
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0/releasenotes/
If you use a lot of Firefox extensions I'd preach caution only because most of them probably haven't been updated for this yet and won't function until then (I ran into a lot of that when switching to the 2.0).

I've never been satisfied with the bookmarks in IE or Firefox. I generally just end up flooding my toolbar links bookmarks area and having to wade through an unruly mess of them to find what I want.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:16:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 07:34:27 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 18, 2008, 05:58:34 PM

Quote from: Eel Snave on June 18, 2008, 05:47:40 PM

Are you coming to 3.0 from IE or were you already using Firefox?  So far to me it handles largely the same as the Firefox I'm used to, except with extra little features and streamlining scattered about for me to discover and add to my browsing skills at my own pace.

I'm using Firefox already.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:02:19 PM »

As I said in the other thread, I love it.  I think it's really matured as a browser.  It's faster, no longer a resource hog, and the insane plugin community alone makes it better than any other browser.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 18, 2008, 06:11:29 PM

I've never been satisfied with the bookmarks in IE or Firefox. I generally just end up flooding my toolbar links bookmarks area and having to wade through an unruly mess of them to find what I want.

The best part now? Firefox doesn't really need bookmarks anymore. Just type in part of the address that you've visited in the last 90 days (by default) and it'll wade through everything based on how often you've gone to that site.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 08:46:17 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 18, 2008, 08:29:04 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on June 18, 2008, 06:11:29 PM

The best part now? Firefox doesn't really need bookmarks anymore. Just type in part of the address that you've visited in the last 90 days (by default) and it'll wade through everything based on how often you've gone to that site.

That's more or less how I've already been using the old version of Firefox.

www.ga = Gaming Trend forum' unread topics since last visit list
www.o = OO forum
d = Bill Harris' blog
f = Penny Arcade forums
www.p = latest Penny Arcade comic
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 06:22:44 PM »

I'm finding that with a lot of tabs open, it tends to lag a bit, so much that if you click on a tab, it will take a few times to get into focus, which wasn't the case with Firefox 2. In the end, it kind of makes it feel clunky.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 07:51:50 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on June 19, 2008, 06:22:44 PM

I'm finding that with a lot of tabs open, it tends to lag a bit, so much that if you click on a tab, it will take a few times to get into focus, which wasn't the case with Firefox 2. In the end, it kind of makes it feel clunky.

Really? Wow. My crappy work PC (248MB RAM) doesn't have that problem. Maybe it's because the only time I open a slew of tabs is when I'm visiting GT or something.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 09:45:57 PM »

Working great on my computer-I also like the 'Awesome Bar' (what a name).  I really like how you don't have to type in the url exactly as it is to get the website to pop up.  Just type in any part (maybe the last part) and it will still show up.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 11:53:34 PM »

liking it the best of any browser i've tried EVAR
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 01:06:26 AM »

someone ran a comparison test between the major browsers on Windows - article: http://dotnetperls.com/Content/Browser-Memory.aspx

Conclusion

These profiles are meant to provide a picture of what the memory behavior of popular browsers is over a period of time, not to provide absolute benchmark times. Firefox 3.0 shows memory usage that is significantly lower than Firefox 2, which also does very well. Here is a summary of my results.

* Safari 3.1
      Safari on Windows shows extremely poor memory management, and I do not know whether it ever reaches a high water mark. If this is by design, it is certainly a design that looks inefficient and seems to contradict Apple's marketing.
    * Firefox 3.0
      This browser exhibits memory usage that is by far lower than the others. It releases memory to the system and the trend line is nearly flat.
      (This is likely due to the efforts outlined here.)
    * Flock (based on Firefox 2.0)
      Flock did very well and this browser and Firefox 2.0 could likely be run for long periods without causing many problems. The extensions probably reduced the efficiency somewhat.
    * Opera 9.5
      Opera's performance was about as good as Firefox 2.0 (Flock), and it could likely be used for very lengthy sessions. However, Kestrel is certainly not a revolutionary or even notable technology in this arena.
    * Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1
      IE did well in the profile, although a worrying trend in the data could indicate that it would keep escalating. However, this browser could likely sustain many hours of moderate usage.

Final Thoughts

After browsing for 14 hours with these programs, and recording all the results into spreadsheets, the most memory efficient browser in my usage is very clear--Firefox 3.0 not only trumps its older version, but every other popular offering on Windows. This article may help other vendors rethink their marketing campaigns, and may prompt further improvements.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 09:45:35 AM »

Too Slow. But I use it on a low-end PC with Ubuntu so maybe it run better on high end system or Windows OS.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 04:36:52 PM »

I am enjoying it now that I've loaded it down with 20+ addons.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 25, 2008, 04:36:52 PM

Good lord. What do you run? I have the following (here at work - I have another 3 or 4 at home):

Adblock Plus (required)
All-in-One Gestures
NoScript (also required)
User Agent Switcher (some sites 'require' that I run IE to visit them, even though Firefox works just fine)

I'm all set with those.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 06:04:41 PM »

I'm really not liking the magic URL bar whateveritscalled.  Handy in theory, but I hate how it keeps on changing the priority of listings depending on my hour by hour browsing history.  I have to actually look at the selections now to see what it's picked for me, whereas in Firefox's old style autofill I could just hit down and enter on predictive text combinations I've previously used.

Other than that it's been really nice.  I like how I keep finding new features just by accident, like how you can now ctrl+click on the back button to open the previous window in a new tab, or how zooming on pages now also scales images like forum smileys.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 25, 2008, 05:48:22 PM

Quote from: Purge on June 25, 2008, 04:36:52 PM

Good lord. What do you run? I have the following (here at work - I have another 3 or 4 at home):

Adblock Plus (required)
All-in-One Gestures
NoScript (also required)
User Agent Switcher (some sites 'require' that I run IE to visit them, even though Firefox works just fine)

I'm all set with those.

Aging Tabs
Canadian English Dictionary
CTRL-TAB
Delicious Bookmarks (I may turf this one yet)
Deutsches Woerterbuch (German dictionary)
DictCN (cantonese translater, IIRC)
Easy DragToGo
IMDb Preview
Locator
New Tab Button on Tab Right
Nuke Anything Enhanced
Show Location (it shows chinese symbols, so this too may go, but it has some neat IP features in it)
Slashdotter
Smoothwheel
Tab Catalog (much like IE's "show all tabs" function).
Tab Scope (a smaller version; trying to decide between the two)
TableTools
Tabs Open Relative
Undo Closed Tabs Button
WebMail Notifier

... I've now just added yours as well as Flashblock (blocks flash advertising) and Sage-too (RSS aggregator/reader).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 11:48:53 AM »

I need to catch up. I like SpeedDial for setting up an initial page that has all your favorite sites in little squares with adjustable preview windows (including here  icon_cool). It got updated for 3.0 a while back.

I just upgraded to 3.0 Firefox this morning. Really fast. And I really like that the drop down menu bar/previously visited sites now lists the site title/description above the URL. With certain sites I'd struggle to remember what it was about, or why I had visited in the first place now I know.  icon_smile

There's a big difference between seeing:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=159843

And seeing:
Funcom's Gaute Godager interview//MMO//Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=159843

in the drop menu, think I'll really find it useful.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 03:32:18 PM »

I like the browser itself but I hate that it's yet another browser I have to fix our website to be compatible with, I gave up on IE7 since 8 fixes those problems.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 07:13:56 AM »

I think it's great. Much better than Firefox 2.0. It seems more "native" if you get my drift.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 08:10:02 AM »

It seems to crash a lot.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 01:20:09 PM »

I dont like it.

No Google Browser Sync for one, that sucks.  I have seen Mozilla Weave mentioned as an alternative but it seems to be a closed beta right now.

Also, I have issues with some sites and xmlrpc and firefox 3.  I can use Firefox 2, IE 7 or Safari and do not have the problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: