http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:21:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Even More Series Computer/Vista problems  (Read 918 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2007, 03:05:08 PM »

OK guys, my computer is even more screwed now. Need help-here is an abridged and cleaned up version of a chat I had with purge this morning asking his advice. Any help would be great!

soo...my computer is f**ked? ok short story
purged: why?
I had very little time when i got home, pulled the sound card and decided to do a format and reinstall
no problem eveyrthing was working, but I forgot something and needed to exit out of the installation before is started because I wasn't sure which hdd to format and clean install too-that no issues, computer booted fine-restarted to boot from cd, selected the option and the computer froze-reset, and let it go-and got this message
"searching for IDE Raid configuration" happened right after post

I restarted again, happened again, restarted again let it sit and went to bed-this morning, still frozen there
and...I have no IDE Raid
and I didnt change anything other than the boot order, and I changed that back
so, you are smart, and my computer is broken
save me

purged: I would go into the bios and ensure that if you have a RAID controller to disable it right there.

but I never enabled it  but I will try it-could my mobo or cpu be dying sir

purged: are you looking to upgrade?
is that it?
;_
install XP. see if it crashes (since you're on a fresh install anyways)

I guess I could do that, but I would have to reformat to do that or get into windows, and right now I cant do either cause of that hang

purged: have you tried booting into safe mode?

cant get to that option, hangs before then-literally right after it posts the HDD/CDS

purged:
get into bios, document your settings. then reset bios

yeah load optimized defaults?

purged: whichever. it may be that your RAID controller is fucked.

So does anyone else have any other ideas since I cant try this for 8 more hours? Thanks guys frown
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 06:43:02 PM »

OMG Hi2U!! help please biggrin
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 07:36:36 PM »

Format, install XP Pro.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 08:15:02 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 01, 2007, 07:36:36 PM

Format, install XP Pro.

Um, sir, thank you for trying to help me, but which part of the entire computer locks up right after post and there is nothing I can do about it leads you to believe I can even install XP Pro?

Perhaps if resetting the bios works like Purgey suggested, but I wont know until tonight...thats why I was looking for second opinions you wierdo.

And I am determined to make vista work. Maybe. If I don't continue to have these problems. Maybe.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 02:20:39 AM »

for serious hardware problems, start with the basics. pull hardware until you're left with a minimum bootable config. aka motherboard, graphics, cpu and memory. will it post? yes? go in, clean the bios. load optimized defaults, etc. Then start adding hardware back in once piece at a time.

If you cant get it to post with just the board, graphics, cpu, and memory... then start experimenting. cmos reset, pull/reseat the ram, etc.

Good luck.

Atomic

PS: You can remove power from devices instead of physically uninstalling them. 99.99% of the time, that will be enough, if you dont want to physically dismantle the unit. The other .01%, is sometimes finicky/incompatible hardware, but it's pretty rare.

PSS: Raid is generally un-needed, but it's up to you. In particular, Raid0 is just asking for trouble.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 05:28:13 PM »

Thanks guys-it appears we have figured this about by resetting the bios. New for this morning is a list of issues I am having with Vista software-thread coming soon smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: