http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 03:27:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scroll Redguard installation/ play problems  (Read 1575 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2005, 04:46:20 PM »

i've tried everything i can find to get this to work, i can install but not play.  it's been tried on two laptops - mine is pitiful, 2 1/2  yrs. old "salesperson" Dell Latitude C610, no 3D graphics card, all basic.  the other is about a year old Dell, much more powerful, should be able to handle this old game.

we've tried the downloaded demo disc, no go.  we've tried the "compatibility" fix (both machines have Win XP with SP2), with a new copy of the game, trying it on Win 98 compatible mode - and it messed up the newer Dell's settings, everything had to be reset.  so far, i've been afraid to try it on the other.

there's a website for an emulator that is supposed to work - Glidos.net, but i either haven't figured out how to do that right, or it won't work.  i'm more of an end-user, so it could be me without a doubt.

we had a 3dfx card, or a card that's compatible with 3dfx, but it turned out to be dead - we have an older PC that we could have run it on except for the graphics card.  that will still be an option if i hear anything here that makes me think it would work on the PC, and if i can find the right card for the right price.

i can get better answers to any questions you ask me, tonight, from my resident expert.  i thought i'd start the Katamari rolling first to see what it picked up, lol.

thanks!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 03:02:09 AM »

I've actually used Glidos to run Redguard on my XP machine, so I know it can be made to work. Problem is that was 2.5 years ago so I don't remember the gory details.  :? One thing I do remember is you actually have to purchase Glidos (the Voodoo emulator) if you want to continue playing the game after you get it working. The 'trial' version keeps a spinning logo on top of the game as it plays, from what I recall. Information on setting up Redguard with Glidos is here in case you hadn't found it yet.

It does specifically require a 3dFX / Voodoo card, but I'd think you'd have some luck on a machine that doesn't have a 3D graphics card by installing the 'software version'. Trouble is it would look like crap. Best bet to me would be an old machine, running Windows 95 or 98 and an actual Voodoo card. I wonder how hard it would be to find one nowadays? I think I've got an old Pure3D card gathering dust somewhere...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 03:42:05 AM »

hey, thanks for answering, MF!  after hearing about your experience, i'm up for giving Glidos one more try, i probably missed something.  i never got the trial to work, so i didn't have to worry about buying the thing, although i'd be glad to if necessary... obviously i'd want to make sure it would work first.  we already had the link, but i'll try it with help this time.

luckily, my expert fixes computers, so we have several half dead machines to play with and "we" (hah!) might get one going and put Win 98 on it as a last resort.  wow, and here i thought that having my 2 1/2 year old machine was a benefit for once!

i'll keep trying - and i welcome and will follow up on all tips offered.

thanks!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: