http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 02:45:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DTV question  (Read 642 times)
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:33:54 PM »

So I have a Samsung HDTV.  It has a built in HD tuner.  How do I get it to pick up DTV stations?  I can't figure this out.  It has to be fairly obvious.  Do I need an extra part?  What am I missing?
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:59:02 PM »

You have a digital antenna right? If so, just scroll through the imputs until you get to the one connected to the antenna. Thats how i do it on my samsung. But im betting you don't have a digital antenna smile
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:51:45 AM »

Plug in your normal tv antennae, and autoscan. It will add any new stations it can detect. With the lack of analog stations now, anything you find, should be digital. You don't need a 'special' antennae for it. My current tv picks up local digital tv stations, with a pair of plain 'rabbit ears'. All you need is an 'ATSC', or digital, tv tuner.

If you're having trouble with reception, try getting an antennae you can sit in the window near your television, or on a wall opposite to a window. A lot of times you have trouble with the walls blocking all or part of the signal.

For some light reading, check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_Standards
http://dtvfacts.com/102/do-i-need-a-new-antenna-to-get-digital-tv/

Atomic

PS: It's not free, but I'm loving my Dish Network setup. Minus the less-than-perfect dvr's they use. My tivo spoiled me, I guess. And for everyone who's afraid of losing signal during a storm, all I have to say is... 20 minutes in a storm sometimes, vs however long it takes to repair your cable, IF they repair your cable. Sometimes. Ex-girlfriend of mine, the cable in her area tended to get water in the equipment, somewhere. So when it stormed, you'd get interference, even if it continued functioning... it wasn't worth fixing, so every time it rained, they had signal interference for hours afterwards :/
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 03:38:42 AM »

So I've got a DTV antenna now (doy) but I still can't get anything!  ARGH!  I'll have to figure this out.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 03:51:01 AM »

Attic or roof mounted antennas work great.  Ignore the fancy packaging (and subsequent markup)- any UHF antenna will do. 
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 04:51:43 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 21, 2009, 03:51:01 AM

Attic or roof mounted antennas work great.  Ignore the fancy packaging (and subsequent markup)- any UHF antenna will do. 

You should probably get a UHF/VHF antenna since not all stations went back to their original VHF location. 

But yeah, you don't need a special antenna to make it work.  It's more about location of the antenna.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: