http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 12:57:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DSL interrupts when phone rings?  (Read 5929 times)
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2008, 01:51:37 PM »

Anyone have experience with DSL (Bellsouth)? For the most part the internet connection is rock solid, but if i'm playing an online game (like WoW) and the phone rings or someone is on the phone, it tends to briefly disconnect. If I was on the web, I wouldn't even notice, it's that brief, but online gaming is obviously more sensitive.

I have filters on all my phone connections. Just curious if anyone has any experience with DSL and telephones.
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 03:40:17 PM »

Not here.  Ive had bellsouth Dsl for about 6 years now after time warner could never find out why my cable internet cut out for 5 days in the middle of each month for a year.  Never had any disconnects from DSL mmog's or just surfing.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:45:33 PM »

Quote from: soulbringer on July 01, 2008, 03:40:17 PM

Not here.  Ive had bellsouth Dsl for about 6 years now after time warner could never find out why my cable internet cut out for 5 days in the middle of each month for a year.  Never had any disconnects from DSL mmog's or just surfing.

It never did, just recently started happening. I dread going through customer service. They make you do the usual crap that never solves anything.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:32:50 PM »

Did you check to make sure that one of your filters isn't broken. I had this happening to me last month and I replaced the filter on the main line and that cleared it up, I can only assume the filter I was using wasn't working. Anyway it's worth going through each phone one by one and seeing if all of them knock the connection out or just one of them do.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:28:51 PM »

I know you said you have the filters on all your phone connections, but do you have the filter on the modem line too?  That makes a difference.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 09:30:33 PM »

I do have a filter on the modem line, but I can swap some out.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:02:23 AM »

The filter shouldn't affect anything anyways. All it does is prevent interference from the dsl signal, from affecting your phone line. It doesn't affect the phone signal in the slightest... it passes that up to your phone without alteration.. so when the phone rings, you'll 'see' it at the dsl device anyways... although frankly, it's definitely misbehaving. But the filter only blocks the dsl signal from passing to the phone... without the filter on, it would show up as static in your phone when you use it.

You might try removing the phone from the socket, and then seperately, from the line, that the dsl is connected to, and see if that makes a difference. It _could_ be a capacitance issue on the phone line from too many devices/length, etc. How many devices are connected to that line, in total? Count answering machine + phone as one device, since that phone connects THROUGH the answering machine, etc etc etc. Try removing them one at a time if you have more than two. (dsl modem + answering machine/phone)

If removing devices solves the issue, you have your solution. If it doesn't, you might also try connecting the dsl/phone straight to the output in your phone interface box, on the user side... aka bypass the wiring in the house, and use a 'good' phone cable. If THAT solves your problem, you can plan accordingly. (replace phone wiring, etc).

I believe most instruction manuals, etc, for phones and related machinery, recommend no more than 4 devices to a phone line, iirc. The phone company has to supply the power for the signalling, and any unpowered phones that are attached (traditional phones need this, cordless always plug into the wall socket), and when you start adding devices, it start increasing the total capacitance on the line until you start getting errors.

Oh yeah. when the phone rings, the voltage on the line fluctuates, as well. Might simply be that your dsl modem can't hang. Sadly, this one will be hard to diagnose, since you can't necessarily just take the modem to your neighbors house and test it, since it's authorization is, I believe, tied in to the phone line that you're subscribed to...

Any DSL technicians reading this sucker?

TheAtomicKid
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on July 02, 2008, 08:02:23 AM

The filter shouldn't affect anything anyways. All it does is prevent interference from the dsl signal, from affecting your phone line. It doesn't affect the phone signal in the slightest... it passes that up to your phone without alteration.. so when the phone rings, you'll 'see' it at the dsl device anyways... although frankly, it's definitely misbehaving. But the filter only blocks the dsl signal from passing to the phone... without the filter on, it would show up as static in your phone when you use it.

You might try removing the phone from the socket, and then seperately, from the line, that the dsl is connected to, and see if that makes a difference. It _could_ be a capacitance issue on the phone line from too many devices/length, etc. How many devices are connected to that line, in total? Count answering machine + phone as one device, since that phone connects THROUGH the answering machine, etc etc etc. Try removing them one at a time if you have more than two. (dsl modem + answering machine/phone)

If removing devices solves the issue, you have your solution. If it doesn't, you might also try connecting the dsl/phone straight to the output in your phone interface box, on the user side... aka bypass the wiring in the house, and use a 'good' phone cable. If THAT solves your problem, you can plan accordingly. (replace phone wiring, etc).

I believe most instruction manuals, etc, for phones and related machinery, recommend no more than 4 devices to a phone line, iirc. The phone company has to supply the power for the signalling, and any unpowered phones that are attached (traditional phones need this, cordless always plug into the wall socket), and when you start adding devices, it start increasing the total capacitance on the line until you start getting errors.

Oh yeah. when the phone rings, the voltage on the line fluctuates, as well. Might simply be that your dsl modem can't hang. Sadly, this one will be hard to diagnose, since you can't necessarily just take the modem to your neighbors house and test it, since it's authorization is, I believe, tied in to the phone line that you're subscribed to...

Any DSL technicians reading this sucker?

TheAtomicKid

I actually checked after I posted that I didn't have a filter attached to my DSL Modem. But based on what you wrote, that may not be the issue.

I have 1 telephone/answering machine hooked up to the phone line. It's a base station with multiple handsets. I also have 2 DVRs hooked up the telephone lines.

So basically 4 items: telephone, modem and 2 DVRs hooked up. I also have 2 wireless devices that run off the DSL /wireless router, but I doubt that would be an issue.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 09:45:08 AM »

Hmm, have you checked maybe it is not the DSL line that have problem but maybe it is wireless problem? Are you connected to the router wirelessly? If so then maybe it is a case of the wireless signal from the phone's base to the handset interfere with your wireless LAN signal?

If so then the solution is to change the radio channel that your router use or to change the phone's wireless channel so they don't conflict.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on July 04, 2008, 09:45:08 AM

Hmm, have you checked maybe it is not the DSL line that have problem but maybe it is wireless problem? Are you connected to the router wirelessly? If so then maybe it is a case of the wireless signal from the phone's base to the handset interfere with your wireless LAN signal?

If so then the solution is to change the radio channel that your router use or to change the phone's wireless channel so they don't conflict.

The PC that drops is hardwired to the modem/router and the phone is 5.4(?) or whatever the frequency that supposedly works with wireless.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 01:01:14 PM »

Yeah, as far as the filters go, you only need them between the line and any 'phone' devices that are installed. You don't actually put a filter between the dsl box, and the phone line.. that would prevent operation (you plug the modem into the unfiltered side, if it has two ports).

As far as the four devices go, you might try unplugging one or both dvr's temporarily, and have someone call you for some testing, and see if the dsl trips out. Leave the phone on, that way you know when it's ringing smile

The extra wireless devices on the router shouldn't affect it at all.

If it still hangs up with just the phone and the dsl box connected, I think my next step would either be to use google to research your dsl box, or else just call the support line, and complain.. it may be that they already have experience with your issue on a broader scale. If they're getting lots of complaints on the issue, they'll most likely have a solution already set up for you to follow. Which may just end up being to replace the dsl box.

TheAtomicKid
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 01:05:37 PM »

PS: When testing, remember to also test the setup with just the dsl modem and the computer... take the router out of the equation. It is extremely likely that if they ask you if you have a router connected, and you tell them yes, they're going to either tell you they don't support home networks, or else they'll just tell you to call the support number for the router... anything to get you off the phone.

(plus if you lie to them and they get involved in diagnosing your setup, you'll need to be able to give them the proper numbers... so unless you can translate from what your router is set to, to what the modem ought to be set to, etc, on the fly, well enough to fib your way through the process... well, it's easier to just have the computer hooked straight to the router temporarily)

If it works with just the computer and the dsl modem... that too, tells you something. Mind you, I'd be scratching my head at that point wondering HOW it could be happening...

TheAtomicKid
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 01:56:08 PM »

Thanks AK. We had a mother of a lightning storm last night while I was playing WoW. I was getting disconnected every flash (luckily i got on long enough to loot the boots i was waiting for!).

During one of my disconnects, I was so frustrated that I grabbed the DSL filter off my phone and plugged the modem into it. The lightning continued to flash, but I never disconnected again. So I think the filter did solve the problem.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 06:34:49 PM »

one of the single port filters that you normally plug a phone device into? and it stopped the discos? even though theoretically with the filter in place, it shouldn't work at all?

bwah?

TheAtomicKid

ps: you're lucky the lightning didn't eat your computer :/
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 12:00:01 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on July 12, 2008, 06:34:49 PM

one of the single port filters that you normally plug a phone device into? and it stopped the discos? even though theoretically with the filter in place, it shouldn't work at all?

bwah?

TheAtomicKid

ps: you're lucky the lightning didn't eat your computer :/

heh, I'm confused as well.  The filters are supposed to block the DSL signal compeltely which as TAK said should prevent the DSL from working at all if it's on a filtered line.  Not sure what's going on there. Not 100% if it's even possible, but maybe the DSL signal coming into your house is too strong and thus the need for the filter to bring it down to a 'normal' level.  Do you hear any static or other noise on your phone handsets?
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 12:18:33 PM »

I have Bellsouth (formerly) DSL and the filters they provide cover the DSl and the phone line.  you plug it into the phone jack at the wall and the filter has twoports on it one for the DSL line and one for a phone; its most likely very similar to what he has.

The higher the speed of the DSL the more it is susceptible to losing connection from any line noise.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »

Quote from: drifter on July 15, 2008, 12:18:33 PM

I have Bellsouth (formerly) DSL and the filters they provide cover the DSl and the phone line.  you plug it into the phone jack at the wall and the filter has twoports on it one for the DSL line and one for a phone; its most likely very similar to what he has.

The higher the speed of the DSL the more it is susceptible to losing connection from any line noise.

Yep, it's a Bellsouth dual filter. One jack for the telephone and one for a data line.

As Drifter said, I pay for the highest DSL speed available ('natch) but I didn't know it was more susceptible to line noise. Either way the filter did fix the problem!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: