http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 01:49:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does "Built-in ATSC" mean it has integrated HDTV?  (Read 865 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2006, 05:21:05 PM »

I'm a little new to HDTV but am looking at getting the most cost-effective HDTV (preferably built-in so I dont have to get the seperate box) so I can play the xbox 360 the way it was meant to be played. (Right now it's on a standard TV.)

I'm seeing some of them that say "HD Tuner Built-In" and others that are saying "ATSC Tuner Built-in", does that mean the same thing?

Here's one of the TV's (in my price range) that I was considering:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4529481

Was also looking at a couple if ILO's (Walmart's brand) and one of them says ATSC Built-in w/HDMI and then on the next page there's another one with Built-in HD with HDMI at about $100 more. (Same sizes though.)
The one with the Built-in HD says no set top box required, the other one doesn't make any mention if you need the box or not..
So now (being the old man I am) I have a headache on which TV to get..

Any suggestions?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 06:52:44 PM »

Built in ATSC just means you can plug in an antenna and pick up the over the air (OTA) HD signals from your local stations. If you don't plan on using OTA you don't have to worry about it.

"HD Ready" will only useful to you if you DO NOT plan to use a set top box or cable card. It basically means you can plug in your cable right into the set and get a HD signal. Its an additonal cost you don't need but the only way to get around it with many of the HD TVs is to get a non-consumer ("industrial") version of the TV.

They're basically a HD monitor without any tuners (or speakers for that matter) but offer a significant decrease in price of their counterpart. Some are not as easy to set up as I know there are some models you need to pick and choose your inputs for.

Cnet really has a good section for HDTV basics. I would reccomend checking out their guide there. Here's an article specifically for the "HD Ready" tuners: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6305617-1.html
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:24:25 AM »

Thanks for that link, I remember them saying something a while back about all TV's by 2006 need to be ready for HDTV.
I'm still a little lost though.. maybe I should reclarify it a little, what I'd like to do is hook my Xbox 360 up to a TV directly without having to get some kind of extra box for it to go through and still get high-def content. I don't really care much about TV itself, just being able to play my 360 in HDTV.. (It's hooked up through standard AV inputs on my TV right now so I'd still have to get the high-def cable for it.)

So does that mean I can hook the 360 up to an "HD-Ready" TV directly, and have it play in HD? If not, what kind of TV would do that?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 01:09:36 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
So does that mean I can hook the 360 up to an "HD-Ready" TV directly, and have it play in HD?

Yes, you just need the component cables.  If you have the Pro system (white box) they came in the box.  If you have a Core system (green box) you need to buy them seperately.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 12:33:30 PM »

Thanks, yeah I have the Pro system but upgraded from the Core system piece by piece. (Got lucky to even get the Core system during all the shortages.)
Still using the standard AV cable though so I'll have to look for one of the component cables.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: