http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:06:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do people with Skype Use VoIP?  (Read 2401 times)
ElijahPrice
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2005, 09:00:12 PM »

So whenever I mention that I have VoIP everyone asks if its Skype?  There is a big difference between Skype and other companies like Vonage and sunrocket and packet8.  Don't you think?  Are you skype people interested in other voip providers or is it just a skype thing?
Zitterbacke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 12:39:52 AM »

No, I don't think there is a difference. It's one protocol or another. Still Voice over IP. Like a motor is still a motor, be it used with diesel, gas, or liquid gas.  And if people think of Skype when you say VoIP, well then good for the PR department of Skype, they managed the same as google for search engines, or Scotch for tape.

BF2: BanthaPooDoh
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 02:25:30 PM »

Yeah, you have to give them that for making the name synonymous with Voip.  But in the end Skype is connected to the computer.  You can't run it through your house wiring or anything, right?  So it seems limited.  But do skype folks get commercial voip or do they just want the comp to comp free calls?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 05:22:34 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
So whenever I mention that I have VoIP everyone asks if its Skype?  There is a big difference between Skype and other companies like Vonage and sunrocket and packet8.  Don't you think?  Are you skype people interested in other voip providers or is it just a skype thing?

The reason being is that Skype has gotten outrageously popular in the previous months. Plus (and I don't know if the others offer this), it's simple to use, works through any router without configuation issues (at least I haven't had to reconfigure mine), and it's just a simple 'type in person's user name and talk to them' instead of figuring out IP addresses and the like like when using Teamspeak.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 07:16:18 AM »

just to clarify:

the free service on Skype is limited to calling, or recieving calls from, other people with the software installed on their machine.  all the extras (calling landline or mobile phones, voice mail, et al) cost money.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 06:17:33 PM »

Quote from: "hitbyambulance"
just to clarify:

the free service on skype is limited to calling, or recieving calls from, other people with the software installed on their machine.  all the extras (calling landline or mobile phones, voice mail, et al) cost money.

This is what I am getting at.  Do Skype users buy these minutes frequently?      Or at that point is it better to go to one of the vonage's or sunrocket's of the world?  

People are surprised when I speak with them about voip because Skype though easy to use for more computer oriented folks, those who don't use it are freaked out about the hassle of getting VOIP running.  But thats becuase they think of the donwload, installation, head set, buying minutes, and how do you hook up phones and such of Skype - whereas commercial voips are pretty straight forward.  Its this differentiation that I find interesting and wonder if it is hurting commercial voips a little...
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 07:32:03 PM »

i haven't yet purchased minutes through them, although their international calling rates seem to be OK.  i haven't had too much success in getting friends to download the software and keeping it running all the time.  it is a good way to meet random, outgoing people from around the world, certainly (leave SkypeMe mode activated and see where you get calls from...)

i was planning on going through another VoiP provider in lieu of Verizon when i move out of my current place.  Lingo or Voicepulse look to be the best for me (read: cheap).
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 03:31:21 PM »

If you leave that SkypeMe up people can just call you?  They don't need your number?  Thats a little freaky.  Please, tell stories!   smile

(Read: cheap) - should check out sunrocket too ($16.58/month) that was the cheapest I found for having all the features.  I've had it for a few months and it has been very good to me.

So you are saying your a skype to voip convert?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 05:11:28 PM »

If you leave that SkypeMe up people can just call you?  They don't need your number?  Thats a little freaky.  Please, tell stories!   smile

If I remember right, you can set your account to be open access, in which anybody can search for your profile (optional if you want to enter it), and have people just call you.

Or, if you'd rather, you can block all access from people calling short of your friends list (which is what I do) and use it as a better-sounding (IMHO) Teamspeak.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 12:55:40 AM »

So you are saying your a skype to voip convert?

if you have, say, Sunrocket service (which i checked out yesterday and it seems better than either of the two services i listed), that doesn't wholly negate Skype's raisin day entree (ie SkypeMe).  i think they can co-exist.

i should've been a bit clearer - "SkypeMe" mode is a setting on Skype which puts you on the 'call me if you're bored or whatever' list and makes it easier for people to find you.  at the other extreme, you can also choose to not have yourself listed on the directory, and block everyone, if you want.

i've met some cool people (due to their randomly calling me) on Skype.   it's definitely something to try out.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 04:23:32 PM »

Yeah, sunrocket has been pretty good.

Interesting feature.  Just put your list on aboard and call randomly?  Is there like a random call feature or a profile so that you have some clue who you are going to talk to or is it just a list and you click and say, "hello?"
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 12:25:40 AM »

Yeah, sunrocket has been pretty good.

Interesting feature.  Just put your list on aboard and call randomly?  Is there like a random call feature or a profile so that you have some clue who you are going to talk to or is it just a list and you click and say, "hello?"

i don't remember the particulars of how your SkypeMe! mode is displayed to other people (is it in the directory?  elsewhere?), but it's simply a setting one can activate or deactivate (alongside other settings such as Away, Online, Invisible, etc).
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 07:40:39 PM »

If anyone is looking to get VOIP to use as their regular phone, I would recommend checking out Vonage.  I have had Vonage for 8 months and it has worked perfectly.  I pay with taxes $27 a month for unlimited calling.  Sound quality is just as good as I had with Verizon.  The only down side is if your internet connection goes down you have no phone.  But if your phone is down Vonage will automatically forward the call to another number(ie your cell phone).

DrJones
Zitterbacke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 12:02:45 AM »

http://www.gizmoproject.com/

This might be worth a closer look. As far as I understand you can call other VoIP for cheap, as well as you can use your account ID with common SIP/VoIP adapters.

http://www.gizmoproject.com/sip-number.html
http://www.gizmoproject.com/other-networks.html

BF2: BanthaPooDoh
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 05:50:10 PM »

Quote from: "DrJones"
If anyone is looking to get VOIP to use as their regular phone, I would recommend checking out Vonage.  I have had Vonage for 8 months and it has worked perfectly.  I pay with taxes $27 a month for unlimited calling.  Sound quality is just as good as I had with Verizon.  The only down side is if your internet connection goes down you have no phone.  But if your phone is down Vonage will automatically forward the call to another number(ie your cell phone).

DrJones

We are on the same page.  I think VoIP is definitely at a point in time that it can be considered as viable for a significant amount of people.  I see you have had Vonage fro a while now, early adopter!  The company I got, sunrocket, went national sometime last winter but they have been fantastic for me and the reason I picked them was that they are $10 cheaper a month and their policies for activation and cancellation don't include fees.

Wonderful thing about VoIP is that the features they offer are insane, right Dr Jones?  Thats why the Skype stuff interests me because they are similar and so a SkypeMe could be implemented with other VoIPs.  Any other interesting Skype things?  SR has a suggestion box that I've been wanting to try out.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 12:21:59 AM »

The one reason I haven't jumped on the VoIP bandwagon is I don't trust my ISP to be there 24/7 and I refuse to have my phone service go down with my Internet connection.

Just a couple months ago I was without Internet access for over 24 hours. If I had VoIP I would have been screwed. Many people have a cell phone and could use it when their VoIP is dead, but I don't own one, so I refuse to go the VoIP route.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 12:59:05 PM »

That is understandable.  In my experience Comcast is much more flimsy than Sunrocket is.  But like you said, if you have a cell phone it is more bearable.    I guess a new question is, why no cell phone?
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 06:03:01 PM »

mobiles are freakin' expensive...

just wanted to point out this pretty neeeat service i've been using recently:

http://www.voipbuster.com

it's a downloadable VoIP program that lets you call mobiles/landlines in the US, and landlines in some major countries of the world, for extremely low cost (a flat fee of 1 euro for 4 months, right now, as it's in beta).  rates for calling mobiles in other countries is about the same as Skype-Out.

i paid my $1.27 and now i'm making lots of LD and international calls. sometimes the voice quality is rather choppy, but usually it works just fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: