http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 05:12:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DNS / Internet connection help needed  (Read 813 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:26:03 PM »

So,
recently I have issues with ONE computer to get on the internet. Its a windows 7 64 bit machine, and it hasnt had any issues previously. The funny thing is, normally when I'm not connected to the internet, the icon says so in the traybar or whatever its called, but here, I'm connected it says.

Using the log event viewer I can see its a problem with the DNS server not answering? I've tried using the google one to no avail, but damned if I know how to troubleshoot this, since everything seems fine.

Anyone who can help?

Thanks!

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »

I forgot to add, for some reason Steam connects fine, so there is a hole through to the net. Other computers on the network works fine as well

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:27:42 AM »

Wireless or wired?

Reason I ask is because that one system may be flooding the router and f***ing up its own connection.

Can you share files to other PCs?

What about NSlookup (from command prompt)?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:19:54 AM »

Both, actually, but I disconnect the wireless from time to time to see if that works better.

Other pc's on the network can get online just fine, which is annoying.

I can ping the router without any trouble, as well.

NSlookup doensnt work other than once in a while

A new one
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »

What's the hardware config for the Win64 machine?

Check for driver updates.

You know, I occasionally get this as well, and I reset my dns to use the open google servers long ago.

So far every time I've attributed it to a noticeable problem with my DSL connection, usually just a temporary down. As an example, the PPP server seemed to go offline for a while the other night. Everything else was working, but no PPP connection, and no internet ip address, thus no Internetz (tm) smile

BUT. I used to have more troubles with it, and thus long ago swapped to using googles servers, and it made the problems shrink quite a bit. I attributed it to a weak DNS setup via AT&T at the time... (att runs a dns server which feeds all the modems, the modems feed any home routers installed, etc, in theory. The conclusion I came to at the time was the modem wasn't always picking up the dns properly and propogating it to the router)

For the record my box is running a realtek onboard nic, with the latest drivers at the time I updated them, which was some time ago.

Do you have other Win64 boxes on your network, or is this the only one?

Atomic
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 07:36:07 AM »

My win64 machine is a laptop, the aspire 8943G with I5 430 processors, ati mobility radeon 5850 and 4 gb memory.

Now, the other machine is a win xp, and my ps3 and some iphones, and the weird thing is, now its the other way around.

My machine can get on the net and my GFs win xp machine cant and cant get the DNS adresses.

I'm actually kinda happy now, since that means its the router and not my machine!

The annoying thing is, in desperation I just reinstalled my entire machine to make it work, meaning everything has to be reinstalled...sigh!

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »

I usually hate it when I've responded to a tech question, and the OP never updates, so I figured I'd update this with the solution.

It turns out that apparently Utorrent,a bit torrent client (no, I am still not a dirty pirate) was the culprit. For some reason it suddently destroys the ability for my browser to connect to the DNS servers, even with low connections. I seem to remember it happened after a windows 7 update, or it could be some firmware update to my modem, who knows.

Anyways - annoying it took me about a month to figure out, but its always nice when you suddenly get the proverbial lightbulb above your head!

A new one
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 11:15:14 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 10, 2012, 10:13:41 PM

I usually hate it when I've responded to a tech question, and the OP never updates, so I figured I'd update this with the solution.

It turns out that apparently Utorrent,a bit torrent client (no, I am still not a dirty pirate) was the culprit. For some reason it suddently destroys the ability for my browser to connect to the DNS servers, even with low connections. I seem to remember it happened after a windows 7 update, or it could be some firmware update to my modem, who knows.

Anyways - annoying it took me about a month to figure out, but its always nice when you suddenly get the proverbial lightbulb above your head!

I have the exact same problem with any P2P application (primarily the Blizzard Downloader). I think you said you have AT&T, do you have a 2Wire router for your internet? If you do, you can try to disable 'Invalid Source/Destination IP address' and/or enable 'Strict UDP Session Control' in the Firewall advanced settings. It seems the firewall attack detection can be a bit... overzealous when it comes to BitTorrent... For me it makes DNS responses slow and breaks Windows file sharing until I reboot the router.

The 2wire boxes AT&T uses tend to ignore TTL settings on the DNS as well, so switching to Google's DNS can solve other problems related to that.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 10:08:11 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions, Calavera, but I live in Denmark, so no AT&T here :-)

I got a new Thompson router yesterday from my ISP (Telia Stofa, in case anyone is wondering) and it seems the problem is gone... Its only been a day, but nothing so far, so perhaps it was just a faulty router?

A new one
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: