http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 12:07:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detect a router?  (Read 438 times)
Bulletpig
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:11:02 AM »

Need some network guru advice.

We are having an event at a hotel in a couple of weeks.  At the event we will have an Internet Cafe' (2 to 4 computers) and another area that will have 4 computers.

Like most hotels the internet drops are astronomical in price.  What we have done in the past is ordered two drops and then hooked routers up to those drops so the computers could all access the Internet.

This hotel's tech person though says that is not allowed and we have to pay for each computer.

My question is, can they tell if we are hooked through a router?  I always thought on that they would only see the one connection since only one thing is requesting an IP address.

Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Pig
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:21:09 PM »

IIRC, NAT routing is obvious if they are watching packets (because the target IP is buried in the header behind the "group" IP).  

From a wireless perspective, the big thing would be that your router is pre-configured NOT to broadcast its SSID, and that you lock it down to just the MAC addresses. Setting it to WPA2 should keep that secure enough that they'd have to go looking through packet traces.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:21:15 AM »

Purge,

Thanks for the information.

Regards,
Pig
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: