http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 11:26:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Desparetly need some Vista installation help  (Read 2461 times)
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2008, 04:51:10 AM »

My Uncle is here from ~250 miles away and I built him a fantastic new system.  His previous one was a Sony Vaio which had XP which was then upgraded to Vista Home Premium.  He brought the recovery disks from home but they don't work as they were made from some crappy Sony Software.  I've been trying to do the install Vista on itself trick but when doing the second part "upgrade" it fails halfway through recopying files.  I only have two stinking days to get this figured out before he has to take the train home and I'm going to feel like crap if I don't get this taken care of.  The hardware appears to be working fantastic - it's just this stupid Vista install.

Thanks for the help.

Specs:

CPU - Intel E8400
Motherboard - Asus P5N-E SLI
Video Card - eVGA Nvidia 8800GT
Power Supply - FSP Group FX600
DVD Burner - Pioneer IDE DVD burner
Case - Cooler Master RC-690
Thermal Grease - Arctic Cooling MX-2
Hard Drive - Seagate SATA 3 500 Gig
Heat Sink    - Zerotherm NV120
Memory - 4 Gig Corsair Dominator
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 06:05:10 AM »

note:  It always freezes at the "Please wait while windows checks your computer's performance screen."
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »

I'm unclear as to what these 'recovery disks' are that you're trying to use.
I'm assuming they are not the official MS disk(s)?
As recovery disks, maybe they have some stuff on there specifically from the old computer which is not compatible with the new one...?
I dunno. Just guessing here.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 07:35:59 PM »

I narrowed the issue down to the SATA drive or SATA controller.  I'm perplexed because I thought this was inherent in Vista install but I"m in the middle of using an old IDE drive and the install is going perfect.  Maybe it's because the controller on this motherboard is finicky?  Or because the drive is a 500 Gig 3.0 SATA driver with 32 Meg of cache?
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 09:31:22 PM »

It's definatley the SATA controller or SATA drive.  I installed everything just fine to a very crappy old IDE hard drive.  I ghosted )copied) that old drive data to the new SATA drive and it failed to boot with the new drive.  This sucks.  I wouldn't care if it were my computer as I have all the time in the world, but this insn't...
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 09:57:11 PM »

this post may have your answer:

actually there is a note on asus's site regarding the mode of the sata controller. It must not be set to ahci mode for a vista install.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 07:08:18 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on May 25, 2008, 09:57:11 PM

this post may have your answer:

actually there is a note on asus's site regarding the mode of the sata controller. It must not be set to ahci mode for a vista install.

There is no AHCI option in this BIOS. I don't understand why.  Here's my follow-up post from QT3 with my solution (but you're right - this sure as hell felt like an AHCI issue since I had this same problem when trying to run install AHCI on my own computer a year ago).

-------------

Hadn't been able to come back here for a bit, but I got it working and here's how it happened.

#1 - Installed Vista upgrade with no SN on old IDE drive with all extra devices disabled.

#2 - Got it set and then "upgraded" the Vista's copy of Vista. 

#3 - Got all Vista updates completed.

#4 - Used Ghost to copy the image to the new 500 Gig SATA-3 disk.

#5 - Reboot failed due to weird Vista boot sector.

#6 - Booted to Vista installation DVD and then choose repair installation.  It fixed the boot sector and quickly rebooted.

#7 - Re-enabled everything and all was good until adding the second piece of RAM to run as dual channel.  Vista lock-up in 5 seconds.

#8 - Checked each RAM module individually, and then as non dual channel and worked great.

# 9 - Went to Newegg and found angry people fuming about BIOS issues with this v901 (latest shipping) mobo.  Updated to latest beta BIOS and dual channel works great.

Last issue I have to resolve is the temps.  One core is 39C and the other core is 49C under moderate load.  This seems unacceptable considering it's not OC'ed and is 45nm.  After all, my own computer is running a 35% OC (~3.2Gig) and it maxes out 45C.  If I post some pics will you tell me if you think I applied the thermal paste evenly enough?  Using Arctic Cooling MX-2 and a Zerotherm all aluminum 8 heatpipe heatsink.

CPU surface:

Heatsink surface:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 07:14:16 AM by jpinard » Logged
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 07:42:08 AM »

Here's a better picture of the heatsink after separating them.  Does this look like the proper amount?  Or too much/too little?

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 08:28:07 PM »

That looks to be too much in my opinion.  When putting the thermal paste on the cpu, you only need a small pea size quantity.  Here it looks like it is spilling all over the place.  Just my opinion though smile

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 12:28:45 AM »

No expert here, but I did just go thru this building my own E8400 rig and it looks like too much to me.  Instructions for your MX-2 are here and show a pretty small amount being used. I used Arctic Silver and the instructions here for an Intel Dual Core are a wee bit more detailed. They show a very thin line of compound vertically along the same axis as the core itself. Both recommend a small twist in each direction once seated.

The latter also goes into the do's and don'ts of cleaning stuff like this off. Apparently even a finger print can affect the performance of the compound.  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 02:47:53 AM »

Fantastic.  I'd not seen those guides on application.  For some reason I thought you spread it over both the cpu and the heat stink then plopped them together.  Thanks so much!  icon_biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: