http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 09:59:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell XPS 420  (Read 1550 times)
Bashtor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:22:45 AM »

Hey all.  I'm looking at buying a new computer soon and saw the Dell XPS 420.  Anyone seen one or have any opinion.  I'm not interested in building a computer and I'm looking for a decent game machine although I don't seem to game as much as I used to.  Mainly some WOW and, hopefully, Crysis (plus some future games).  I'm looking for good performance but don't need "cutting edge".  This computer will last me a few years hopefully.  I'm looking at spending around $1500 on the below possibly.

XPS 420  Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)   
Operating System  Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Digital Cable Support   
Memory  3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs  3GB84   
Monitors  No Monitor  N   
Video Cards  512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT  5NV88   
Hard Drive  500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache  500S   
Floppy Drive and Media Reader  Dell Media Card Reader included in Dell Bluetooth Package   
Optical Drive  Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability  16DVDRW
Sound Cards  Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music  XFI
Security Software  Trend Micro Internet Security 15-months  TM15M 

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_420?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=bundlestab

Any opinions?  Thanks.
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:29:22 AM »

REally nice.  The only issue I have with Dells is that they have this proprietary power supply and it gets in the way when the PS is shot.  Other than that, they seem to be solidly build behemoths.

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:43:09 AM »

A very small amount of cutting and any power supply will work. smile
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:46:02 AM »

Yeah, but when you spend that much money on a system, do you really want to cut into it?

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 03:55:57 AM »

well mine was three and a half years old when I operated and it was just to cut a slot for the plug opening. And opposed to buying a new PC vs a $100-200 power supply? Yep, I'd do it again smile

On a side note, there is a company that sells the proprietary power supplies for dells, but the cost was close to $200 if i remember correctly.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:57:51 AM »

Quote from: Goldchamp on January 08, 2008, 03:55:57 AM

well mine was three and a half years old when I operated and it was just to cut a slot for the plug opening. And opposed to buying a new PC vs a $100-200 power supply? Yep, I'd do it again smile

On a side note, there is a company that sells the proprietary power supplies for dells, but the cost was close to $200 if i remember correctly.

Ok, then I understand smile  I just dislike proprietary stuff, sorry frown

Bashtor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 05:12:25 AM »

I'm not a huge fan of proprietary stuff either, but I've had a Dell for many years and it hasn't been a huge issue yet (cross fingers).  I'm hoping I wouldn't have to worry about that for a few years anyway.  The way I seem to work is replacing a computer every three to four years anyway.  I honestly wasn't going to go Dell, as I don't really like the 700 XPS to much, but this one I like. 
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 05:31:54 AM »

The dell I was refering to is going on 6 years old, and all I have had to replace is a cdrom and the power supply. (also about 5 video card changes, but didn't have to). My wife still uses it every day. I have upgraded it as far as possible. It's getting a little slow, but still going strong. (p4 2.4, 80 gig hd, 768 megs of ram, geforce 5200? i think) They are excellent machines if you don't want to change out the motherboards.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:51:28 PM »

Two things:

1) Sound cards nowadays are worthless (unless you're going the 7.1 route or something with it). Onboard sound is more than good enough. I've been doing it for years.

2) Hope you're not paying for that 'internet security package' from Trend Micro. Trend offers a very nice web based virus scan service, and there are a few other free services if I remember correctly you can more than get away with. Heck - I run nothing and I've never had a problem.

Beyond that, it'll most definitely play whatever you throw at it (short of Crysis on max detail). Yeah, you're paying the usual markup whenever you buy a complete system, but it's not too bad of one.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »

Shame they dont offer a RAID0 in something smaller than a TB.  That could help with performance some.  You might also want to look into getting an additional flash drive for the sole purpose of setting up readyboost.  You can read about that here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/readyboost.mspx

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on January 08, 2008, 03:27:06 PM

You might also want to look into getting an additional flash drive for the sole purpose of setting up readyboost.  You can read about that here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/readyboost.mspx

He has 3GB of RAM already. ReadyBoost ain't gonna do squat for him. Vista 32 can only 'properly' use ~3.5GB as it is.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bashtor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 01:13:21 AM »

I'm reading on the readyboost now and it seems interesting.  I've got plenty of flash drives, so maybe I'll give it a shot.  I think I'm going without the soundcard as Destructor suggested.  Worst case, I buy an aftermarket soundcard if sound sucks.  I'm not an audiophile, so I'm guessing I'll be fine with on-board.

Well, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm getting this.  Barring someone here or at home talking me out of it, I'm ordering it.  I'll let anyone interested know what I think of it once it arrives.  Thanks for the feedback all.

Edit: The "Internet Security Suite" is included in the price.  I'd go with a free one myself if it wasn't a gimme.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:49:36 AM by Bashtor » Logged
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 03:12:40 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 08, 2008, 07:40:21 PM

You might also want to look into getting an additional flash drive for the sole purpose of setting up readyboost.  You can read about that here:

He has 3GB of RAM already. ReadyBoost ain't gonna do squat for him. Vista 32 can only 'properly' use ~3.5GB as it is.

vista service pack 1 could change that.  i dont know enough about vista yet.  just threw that there as an idea.  cant hurt to try, especially if you have a spare flash drive. 

another thing you might want to look into is benchmarks done on XP vs Vista machines.   direct x10 with vista will make gaming look a little better, but XP out performs vista.  service pack 3 for XP will make it run even better.  you could try doing a dual boot system with XP/Vista to see how you like it. 

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 08, 2008, 07:40:21 PM

Depends on how Vista addresses the ReadyBoost memory... if it's considered "virtual" as opposed to real memory, it can indeed address it, even if you're maxed out on physical RAM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: