http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:40:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell LCD Monitor Questions  (Read 3853 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2005, 05:52:18 AM »

Hi guys,
I am, I think, down to deciding between two monitors for my upgrade-for move to save space in my new place and because I want a cool new monitor-fund.

So I am down to these two:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4111&category_id=4009
20.1 inch widescreen LCD

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=320-4113&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=211&first=true&page=productlisting.aspx
19 inch non widescreen ultrasharp LCD

the 19inch even with deals is going to be probably 150-200 cheaper. I  will be using this monitor MOSTLY for gaming-I tend to still do a  lot of pc gaming. If I do not spend on a decent TV for consoles and dvd watching, it MAY become my primary movie watching thing.

So I have a few concerns, which monitor is better all around for gaming, ultimate quality, and movie watching, and, does the widescreen really mess with anything?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 07:11:10 AM »

An update to my question. It looks like there are some deals tonight (which Im not really ready to pull the trigger on) and the widescreen looks like its 200 bucks more. Man, thats a big increase for 1 inch and widescreen.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 01:16:38 PM »

As I recall, it's not just an increase in screen width, it's an improvement in the rest of the monitor's specs as well.  I'm pretty sure the response time is at least much better with the 2005FPW.
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
lcd
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 04:03:20 PM »

Just a thought you might want to check out this monitor as well
19 inch Hyundai L90D+.  It seems very popular with the gaming crowd at the moment.  It goes for around $370.  

DrJones
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 06:20:27 PM »

I took advantage of a recent slick deal and picked up the DELL 1905FP and Axim X30 with bluetooth and 802.11B for $500.

I replaced my 21" viewsonic with this Dell and it is great.  I feel like I have gained half of my home office back with that huge thing off my desk.  THe monitor looks great and everything so far has worked just fine, I even tested out the USB ports on the monitor.  I have it hooked up via the digital cable to my Radeon 9600.  I have run half life 2 and WoW at the default res of 1280 x 1024 and no problem.

One tip when you first turn the monitor on check the brightness mine was set all the way to 100 so I lowered it to 50.  Even after that I still had to lower the Gamma in the games down to default setting or they were too bright.  Colors look fantastic and I havent noticed any pixel problems.  I ordered this on a friday afternoon and both boxes showed up on Teusday morning.

I am very happy with this purchase.

Check out www.slickdeals.net every now and then Dell has been having lots of deals on LCD's.  I got this one for $310 after coupons.

Drifter
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 08:41:08 PM »

Hmm ok, thanks for teh initial impressions. I am going to hold off a few more weeks and hope for a better deal on the widescreen.
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 09:52:50 PM »

I just got my Dell 1905FP yesterday - drifter and I must've taken advantage of the same deal.  smile  It's very sharp and colors are gorgeous - at least on the DVI input, haven't really tested the analog yet - but there is noticable ghosting in action games.  Not enough to ruin them, perhaps, but definitely distracting to someone used to a nice CRT monitor.  I plan to use this as my "work" monitor - i.e., mostly for websurfing and writing, with some video-watching on the side - so the ghosting doesn't really bother me.  But if you're shopping for a gaming LCD, you'll probably want something with a better response time.

BTW, Anandtech has a recent review of the 1905FP, along with several other 19" LCDs:
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2332
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2289

If you're patient and willing to wait, Dell's had a number of limited-time good deals on the 19" & 20" LCDs: the 19" went down to $310 last week (when I bought it) and both 20" models have gone for under $500.  Just pay attention to a deals site like SlickDeals.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 07:33:20 AM »

I got a 1901FP myself, and it rocks! Owns my 17" Samsung (172T) even though they came out within a year of each other (a LONG time in computer time I know). Plus it was $300 cheaper than the Samsung!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 03:56:59 AM »

Raven, is there any noticable ghosting for you?

that 20.1 inch widescreen is on sale for acouple days for like 470, which is the cheapest I ahve seen it in a while. i just need some honest opinions about how it is for gaming.

I play a lot of pc games, including lots of action games, but I think I am either at the point where I get this or just lug my 19 inch samsung CRT with me.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 06:03:26 AM »

Starts 8:00am CST, 6:00am PST. Dell Home has the Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand for $749 + $1 padding - 30% off Dell 2005FPW Flat Panel code D7L9QWS?X48W30 [Exp 4/3] - $50 off $750 code $RH74VC$6SVN9? [Exp 4/4, 5:59am, 2500 uses] = $474 shipped

# 20.1" Flat Panel LCD, 1680x1050 pixels and fast 12 ms response time
# ±88 degrees viewing angles, VGA / DVI-D / S-video / Composite / 4 x USB 2.0
# 300 cd/m² Brightness, 600:1 Contrast, Height Adjustable Stand

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4111

If I hadn't already picked up a LD90+, I would have bought that monitor today. It would have been $100 more, but it still has a good response time and it's awesome for that kind of money. It's also much better for gaming than the 1905FP.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 07:05:34 AM »

So Thinny, you do think it will be good enough for gaming? If so< i really want it, I think I would enjoy it A LOT the amount of time i spend in front of the CPU smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 12:39:37 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
So Thinny, you do think it will be good enough for gaming? If so< i really want it, I think I would enjoy it A LOT the amount of time i spend in front of the CPU smile

I think that of all the Dell monitors that the 2005FPW is the most suited for gaming. The features you get for that price are amazing.

The only "issue" you might find is that a large percentage of games don't support the widescreen resolution, but the monitor (as far as I know) has modes that simply add bars to the sides of the screen and display the game in it's normal screen ratio.

The best reason to choose the 2005 over the others is the response time. It blows Dell's other offerings away. The only way to get faster than that 12ms response time is to go to another brand name.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 01:00:13 AM »

Did you mean the 2005FPW, I cant find a FPS on the dell website.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 03:03:51 AM »

Did you mean the 2005FPW, I cant find a FPS on the dell website.

Yeah, sorry. Brainfart slywink

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 03:13:04 AM »

Ok I am convinced. Just have to decide if I am going to pick it up now or ship it directly to where I move. Cool, thanks guys!!
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 10:28:24 PM »

I bought a 2001FP about 5 weeks ago, and it is AWESOME! It is native 1600x1200, which is what I've played my games at on my previous monitor (CRT), so that's why I got it.

This past Friday I spent about 9 hours gaming at a friends house and took my system with me. We played UT2K4 for nearly 4 hours straight, and it was GREAT! It is supposedly a 16msec monitor, and I'd say they're right.

GET ONE!!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 02:47:29 AM »

Ok so playing UT2k4 means you are at least a casual shooter gamer-was there any noticeable ghosting, or at least enough to annoy? Do yoyu have any backlight bleed?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 07:42:06 PM »

Ok so playing UT2k4 means you are at least a casual shooter gamer-was there any noticeable ghosting, or at least enough to annoy? Do yoyu have any backlight bleed?

I have the 2001FP and honestly, it hasn't shown any issues with any game I've thrown at it.  FPS or otherwise.  Looks great.

gellar
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 04:05:26 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"

I have the 2001FP and honestly, it hasn't shown any issues with any game I've thrown at it.  FPS or otherwise.  Looks great.

gellar

Ditto!

By backlight bleed do you mean seeing the light through the rear of the unit? It's almost non-existant. Near the bottom corners I can see a little light - hardly noticable unless you stick your nose right up to the back.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »

I cant wait for my 2005 FPW to come, ordered it yesterday for 438.00 shipped! Although, I missed the uber deal this lcd on Thursday could be had for 384.00 shipped using some stackable cupons.....

Anyhow I cant wait to try Halo 2 on it in 480p widescreen using my x2vga!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2005, 05:42:43 PM »

Quote from: "Mystic95Z"
I cant wait for my 2005 FPW to come, ordered it yesterday for 438.00 shipped! Although, I missed the uber deal this lcd on Thursday could be had for 384.00 shipped using some stackable cupons.....

Anyhow I cant wait to try Halo 2 on it in 480p widescreen using my x2vga!

Does the X2VGA really work that well?

I've been considering ordering one because I have friends over fairly often, and one of them almost always brings their Xbox. THe probelm is that they have to drag along a little like 17 inch TV or something with them, and it's always a hassle. I'd been considering ordering an X2VGA so they could just sit their Xbox on my computer desk and fire it up on my monitor.

*edit*
Sorry for the derail!

Also, Mystic, I know of a few people that called Dell shrotly after the deal ended and were still able to get the price of $384. If you ordered yours really soon after the deal disappeared, they may go ahead and honor it if you call them!

Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2005, 05:49:49 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J
Does the X2VGA really work that well?
[/quote

Yes it does! I dont have any games that use 720p or 1080i, but halo 2 in 480p looks awesome on my 19" CRT, much better than the TV plus I use a SmartJoy FRAG KB&M adapter for the xbox and it works out well having everything at a desk...

-Tony
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 11:49:39 AM »

wOOt! Got my 2005 FPW yesterday and it looks awesome especially since there are no dead/stuck pixels and no backlight bleeding that bother me. The bad news is that playing Halo2 through the x2vga looks better on my CRT than the new LCD which is probably due to the LCD stretching the 480p output to fit the screen. I ended up putting the 2005 on my Mac Mini and it looks great on it. I have gobs of desktop space to use iMovie & iDVD!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2005, 11:11:09 PM »

I ordered a 2005FPW last night during one of those hot deal things on Dell.com....got it for $397 shipped!

biggrin  biggrin  biggrin

It shipped out today!

I can't wait! I've been wanting a LCD screen for quite awhile now and I couldn't pass up this deal for getting a 20" Widescreen for under $400.

Plus reading this review made me realise I got the absolute best 20" display for a steal! smile

http://anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400&p=11

The Dell 2005FPW won us over not only as an improvement on the Dell 2001FP, but also as a standard that all other monitors must adhere to for excellent ratings in our future reviews. 20" widescreen display, with split screen over four separate inputs on a 1680x1050 resolution, all for under $500! The only way that this monitor could have been better was if LG.Philips LCD had managed to squeeze a true 1920x1080 resolution into the panel. Dell usually charges $750 for this display, but when we last checked (April 27 th, 2005), the base price on the Dell.com outlet was $486.50. The UltraSharp 2005FPW is the display that we have been waiting for.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 02:52:04 AM »

Hetz - I read the exact same review, which is what it took for me to jump on the $400 bandwagon as well. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 11:39:05 PM »

I liked the one I got for home so much I just got another 2005FPW for my pc at work (company reimbursed of course smile).

-Tony
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 11:47:14 PM »

I got it today and OMFG this thing is incredible!

First thing I did was load up Morrowind in 1680x1050 (which it supports!!!) and set the FOV to 16:10 and it's incredible. It's real widescreen gaming, no streched images at all! Also, the image looks stunning on this monitor compared to my ol CRT. It's incredible. The detail and clarity is quite astonishing and the colors look much more vibrant to me.

Also, no more eye strain!!! YES!

I also set my desktop to the new widescreen forest pic of Oblivion on the Elder Scrolls website and it looks awesome.

I am a very happy camper right now!!  

It's even better than I thought it would be. Off to try Guild Wars in widescreen!  smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2005, 01:02:18 AM »

I just got my monitor as well today (crazy fast shipping from Dell it seems)...

Holy fuck.

I thought the monitor on my laptop was really bright and clear. Boy was I dead wrong.

Wow. Just...wow.

City of Heroes natively supports the resolution, Guild Wars supports it, as does World of Warcraft. All three look fantastic. biggrin

Now to nab that shot from Oblivion...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2005, 05:38:04 AM »

Got mine today as well.  I was not prepared for how bright and vivid my desktop would be!  The difference, to use a most apt cliche, is literally night and day.  Not that my CRT was muddy, but whites really leaps off the screen on this thing.

Played some Half-Life 2 and it looked fantastic.  I'm sure the extra width will be neat when more titles take full advantage of it.  I also played Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War and it looked and moved great.  I didn't notice any ghosting (which I didn't expect to) and I tried like hell to coax it!

No dead pixels!  Surprisingly, not a single one on this entire huge, beautiful panel.  I do notice that the bottom left corner has some backlight bleed, but it is hardly noticable unless you have a solid black screen, in which case it looks like a bit of glare.  This seems to be the biggest peeve about this particular screen from what I've read, but I would likely have not even looked for it had I not already read about it.

I got the soundbar as well to lift me over the $750 mark and allow me to use the $90 off cupon.  I think it looks spectacular and the implementation is supurb.  The sound quality is lacking, but it compares well enough to the $20 speakers I had previously been using.  It has two headphone jacks on the side which is a nice touch since I do most of my gaming with a pair of quality headphones.  You know, as bland as the sound is (it totally lacks low-end, as expected) it really looks sweet.  I can't say enough about the way it attaches to the monitor and actually plugs into the panel itself to draw power which means when you turn the monitor off the speakers go off as well.  Looks really mean on there if I do say.

So I am thrilled with the monitor and spent the majority of the post talking about cheap speakers.  A great screen that looks awesome, even when it is turned off!

I have three LCD's, two Samsung SyncMasters (15" and 19") as well as this Dell, and the Dell was the cheapest of the three.  If you are looking for an LCD and aren't scared of the widescreen ratio then I can't reccomend it enough, particuarly when it can be yours for under $400.  If you don't have a good ear or just need desktop speakers for casual use then I reccomend the soundbar as well. Tongue

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2005, 06:07:07 AM »

You guys see they have a new 24" widescreen LCD? Little over $1000 though.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2005, 12:21:21 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"

Yeah, I saw that but for $1000, forget it. I'm happy with my $397 20" screen. smile

It's plenty big enough for me and a big step up over my 19" CRT. I am still amazed how damn good everything looks now. It's made everyone of my games feel almost new, due to the improved color and clarity. It's really awesome.

Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2005, 05:55:03 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Yeah, I saw that but for $1000, forget it. I'm happy with my $397 20" screen. smile

It's plenty big enough for me and a big step up over my 19" CRT. I am still amazed how damn good everything looks now. It's made everyone of my games feel almost new, due to the improved color and clarity. It's really awesome.

Ditto...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2005, 06:34:00 PM »

Ditto...

Ditto as well. I'm perfectly happy with my extremely cheap, extremely bright (my laptop has an 'ultrabright' screen and it's nothing compared to this thing), extremely detailed monitor.

I so have to break out Morrowind and play it again... biggrin

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2005, 06:40:48 PM »

How does non-widescreen work?  Does it stretch the image, or can you play it in a box within the window?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2005, 07:00:43 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
How does non-widescreen work?  Does it stretch the image, or can you play it in a box within the window?

You can do either. There are settings for 1:1 (box) or Fill (stretched) or Aspect (not sure what the difference between this and fill is, but it's another stretch setting) in the monitors control panel.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2005, 07:06:56 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Ditto...

Ditto as well. I'm perfectly happy with my extremely cheap, extremely bright (my laptop has an 'ultrabright' screen and it's nothing compared to this thing), extremely detailed monitor.

I so have to break out Morrowind and play it again... biggrin

Morrowind (with the texture mods) looks incredible with this screen. I was floored when I fired it up. Morrowind supports the native resolution of this monitor and the 16:10 FOV. It's really amazing how detailed everything looked. Oh and the color! The color!!   :shock:  :shock:

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2005, 07:15:06 PM »

Morrowind (with the texture mods) looks incredible with this screen. I was floored when I fired it up. Morrowind supports the native resolution of this monitor and the 16:10 FOV. It's really amazing how detailed everything looked. Oh and the color! The color!!   :shock:  :shock:

I so don't have the time to play this game again... I really so don't have the time to play this game (and collect all the mods I had to have) again...

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2005, 10:16:01 PM »

To me it was amazing.  I bought the Dell 1905FP about a month ago and by far this is the best graphics upgrade I ever did.  Te color difference is amazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: