http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 12:55:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell (or Alienware) laptop advice needed  (Read 1195 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »

I have to get a laptop, and I'd prefer a Dell. 

I like the specs of the M1710.  The problem is, my wife is not going to like the way the XPS machines look, but I want to get the 512MB Nvidia card in there (the 7950), but I may have to go with the 7900, 256MB card just for pricing. 

The Inspirons only have a 256MB 7300, and their screen isn't the WUXGA.  It's WSXGA+ and 15.4", though I don't know if I need a 17" screen.  Also, it only runs at a max speed of 2Ghz, which is slower than my current desktop.

I'm looking to get a new desktop down the road, so this doesn't have to be a powerhouse, but I do want it to run things like Company of Heroes or even Crysis okay.  Any suggestions?

Sorry for the semi-repost, but there was no response in the other thread, so I started a new one.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:52:35 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 04:52:10 PM »

I've added the Alienware Aurora M9700 (or even the Area-51 M5790).  Anyone have opinions on any of these?

I need to order a laptop ASAP, too.  Your help is very appreciated.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:58:32 PM »

Alienware is pretty cool.  Not sure about their support though.  We have a couple of gentlemen and ladies come into work claiming that Alienware barely supported them when something went wrong with their computer. 

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 09:28:08 PM »

Alienware is a ridiculously bad company to buy from.  I'd stay away.

I tried to order a PC from them a few months back.  I chronicled the event over at BC, if you're interested in the shenanigans that took place:

http://forums.bovineconspiracy.com/viewtopic.php?t=2469

gellar
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:43:02 PM »

Adding to my frustration, my wife has informed me that she would really prefer a 15".  Is everyone using 17"?  Do you travel with them?  How about 15"?  Is there a decent one?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 12:07:15 AM »

17" is a bear to travel with.  If it's not a 'desktop replacement' type device, I'd go with a 15" for sure.

gellar
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 12:21:49 AM »

Yeah, I have seen plenty of people complain when they had to lug around a 17" or larger monitor.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 06:19:40 AM »

So, let me ask this: What's the best 15" that anyone has found.  The ones I've seen have had a meh screen and graphics card, but I've only just started looking.  I'd prefer a nice 15" to a kick-ass 17" anyway, but I would like something like the 7900 GS, graphically (I've given up on getting the GTX card).  This has been very helpful so far.  Can anyone find me the perfect laptop?

Spiff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 06:30:38 AM »

Quote from: gellar on March 15, 2007, 09:28:08 PM

Alienware is a ridiculously bad company to buy from.  I'd stay away.

I tried to order a PC from them a few months back.  I chronicled the event over at BC, if you're interested in the shenanigans that took place:

http://forums.bovineconspiracy.com/viewtopic.php?t=2469

gellar

I read that, and was a little leery when I ordered my laptop. I was going to go "high end" for my purchase and was deciding between Voodoo and Alienware. I started reading the Voodoo forums and they were having serious quality control problems that weren't being corrected from the posts on their forums. That, and they were over 2 months behind their posted ship dates at the time.

My purchase went as smooth as possible. It was painless except for the cost. I bought an mALX from Alienware. It's a 19" widescreen, ML44 processor, 2 gigs of RAM and dual 7900GTX's in SLI. The difference is that with the ALX systems from Alienware is that they have their own sales and service departments. When I had questions on my purchase, and durng the build phase I had a separate number I called and got accurate and up-to-fate info. I was never fed a line of crap, and everything I was told happened as they said it would.

I was in a position where the price wasn't really the deciding factor. I was either going to pay tax on my business income or write off the entire cost of a laptop (Sec 179 depreciation), so the effective cost to me was around $1800. Granted that isn't the case for everyone, but my Alienware experience was all good (but, I damn sure paid for it).

BTW, this machine runs anything and everything I've thrown at it. It runs Supreme Commander just fine, and I can run Oblivion at 1680x1050 with everything maxxed and it's great.

Edit:

The one downside is that this thing is as big as a house and it weighs a freakin' ton. But, I still love it.

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 11:39:54 PM »

Well, my wife convinced me I needed to get a 15", so I'm heavily leaning to the Asus G1.  Has anyone had experience with that one?

Also, I may want to wait for a DX10 laptop, but I have a feeling we won't see them for several months and they'll be only in the 17" models and blow through batteries.  Has anyone heard anything about these?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 07:19:34 PM »

So, if anyone is interested, I went ahead with the Asus G1, and I ordered it from a company in CA called Xotic PC.  Not only were they very helpful and knowledgeable (and cool, I might add), but they also upgrade and test the unit on site.  I upped the processor speed to 2.33 Ghz and went with a 7200 RPM 100 gig hard drive (instead of the 5400 160 gig).  I figured all of this tweaking would add a couple of weeks to the order, but they say they'll get it done in 1-3 days (unless there's a problem in the testing).  Amazing.  I'm very psyched to get this new machine next week!

Cross-posted in the multi-threads that have sprung up about this

javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 08:37:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 21, 2007, 07:19:34 PM

So, if anyone is interested, I went ahead with the Asus G1, and I ordered it from a company in CA called Xotic PC.  Not only were they very helpful and knowledgeable (and cool, I might add), but they also upgrade and test the unit on site.  I upped the processor speed to 2.33 Ghz and went with a 7200 RPM 100 gig hard drive (instead of the 5400 160 gig).  I figured all of this tweaking would add a couple of weeks to the order, but they say they'll get it done in 1-3 days (unless there's a problem in the testing).  Amazing.  I'm very psyched to get this new machine next week!

Cross-posted in the multi-threads that have sprung up about this
I think you'll be happy with the 15" and the 7200RPM HDD. I have a 17" wide from Dell and it is cool so long as I don't have to move it. Congrats!

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 01:35:09 PM »

I'm not trying to gank your thread, but what is everyone's opinions on the current Sony VAIO's? My dad bought one for my mom for Christmas and aside from an obnoxious amount of useless pre-installed crap it's pretty slick. Did you consider one of those and rule it out?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 01:53:06 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 23, 2007, 01:35:09 PM

I'm not trying to gank your thread, but what is everyone's opinions on the current Sony VAIO's? My dad bought one for my mom for Christmas and aside from an obnoxious amount of useless pre-installed crap it's pretty slick. Did you consider one of those and rule it out?
I had to finance my laptop which is why I went Dell. does Sony have such an option these days?

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 02:37:31 PM »

I like the way VAIOs look, and I hadn't heard anything bad about them, but none of the reviews were really great, either.  I did look at them briefly, but, IIRC, none of them had any kind of graphics card that I was looking for.  They were all the Intel chip, I think.  Or if they did have a good card, it wasn't new enough.  They are sexy looking though, I'll say that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: