http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 07:16:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Damn it. Best Antivirus?  (Read 1269 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »

Avast let over 21,000 virii into my system since my last full scan last month.   Thanks Avast!   I noticed it when my download/upload monitor reported "Hey, you just uploaded 19gigs of data over the last 24 hours".   While I begin to backup and scrub my system to format it, I need to ask....best antivirus?  Cuz Avast ain't it!

Edit: Paid or unpaid folks.   Doesn't have to be free...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »

I've been using AVG, but haven't really been in a position where I felt that I've truly stressed it.  Both them and Avast get 4.5 stars from CNet.

AVG Free 2012's renewed focus on performance keeps scans zippy, but struggles with slowing down your boot time and too many false positives.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »

Dunno. I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and I haven't had any virus problems.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »

I currently use the Kaspersky Total Security Suite and have been very pleased with it.  I tried using Microsoft Security Essentials on my last system, but the installer would crash every time I tried to install it.  Was never able to figure it out, so I went with Kaspersky and didn't look back.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 26, 2012, 04:53:44 PM

Dunno. I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and I haven't had any virus problems.

Same. I used to use Avast but one day I just switched to MSE. Haven't had any problems with it and it seems to work just fine.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 06:00:42 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 26, 2012, 05:50:40 PM

Same. I used to use Avast but one day I just switched to MSE. Haven't had any problems with it and it seems to work just fine.

this.  I also use NoScript in Firefox.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:37:29 PM »

While I use noscript in Mozilla too, I have been using ESET's NOD 32 antivirus for several years now (there's a 64-bit version available, I think they're all called "32" for whatever reason). The basic version (rather than the "security package," which I consider bloated) is supposed to do some anti-spyware/malware protection too. They offer a free trial version I think.

I've been fairly happy with it, and it's not a resources hog. Then again, since it hasn't found a virus or other nasty on my PC in four years, maybe it just doesn't work at all or I'm just crazy lucky.  icon_neutral icon_smile

Of course, I guarantee you will not find any sort of agreement online about antivirus software. You'll read a lot of glowing reviews of stuff that people on message boards complain about, or vice-versa etc. I guess that goes for just about anything these days though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:40:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 07:52:54 PM »

I had it let though a nasty virus a few months back.  I was way behind on windows updates so that might have been much more to blame.  After the reformat it is still all I run, although now I lets windows update with or without me weekly.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »

I found MalWare Bytes to be really useful.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zmydj4
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 10:04:18 PM »

I had viruses and malware get through on Avast, AVG, and even MSE.

Finally tried Ashampoo Anti-Malware and it literally catches everything thrown at it, from the smallest spyware to trojans and viruses. I almost feel like my PC is now invincible!  icon_biggrin

http://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0249/Security_Software/Ashampoo-Anti-Malware

There's also a free version giveaway:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Ashampoo-Anti-Malware.shtml

From all the antivirus programs I've used Ashampoo has been the best so far.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 05:36:34 AM »

Ugh, finally back online.  Ended up flattening my laptop too.  Eesh.

Final totals:
22,754 'threats' removed
4TB of data scrubbed - 972mb of data kept, the rest deleted.

Now, on to the fun of re-installation.  Wheeeeee.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »

I've had really good luck over time with a combination of Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, and the occasional sweep with DrWeb CureIt, which is available as a free download that didn't need to be installed to run a sweep with the latest. So far, nothing has managed to penetrate that combination, while using NoScript in conjunction with Firefox.

NoScript may be a pain to work through, but I consider it absolutely necessary in maintaining a 'secure' system. A backup choice might be to use Chrome, since it seems to default to or is capable of similar behavior of not allowing scripts unless you approve them. Chrome not installed atm, so I can't remember how it sets up by default, but I _think_ the previous statement is relatively true.

Flattened the lappie? Ouch frown I hope you meant that figuratively.

Atomic

PS: Reinstalling windows from a usb stick is MUCH less painful than from optical. Get a copy of the .iso with SP1 already included, will save you on updates from now on. (if you haven't already done any of this)
PS2: That Ashampoo stuff looks interesting. Gonna give it a whirl. Thankyou for the free version link.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:02:34 AM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:48:33 PM »

Sadly, that was a re-image for the laptop as well.  I share files between all the time, so it was the only way to really be safe.  I figured if something had punched a hole in my system, simply removing the something doesn't magically close that hole.  Nuke from orbit - the only way to be sure.

I've set up Firefox with NoScript and I'm training it.  It is a pain, but it's better than the alternative.   I ended up going with (of all things) Norton 360 Premium.  I had a code that made it dirt cheap for 3 PCs and from the reviews it'll do the trick and then some.   Guess we'll see...

As for the iso - yea, I think I'm going to pick up a cheap 8GB thumbdrive to do exactly that.  Good thinkin.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 03:06:34 PM »

+1
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 04:02:14 PM »

[DISCLAIMER]I work for a major provider of security software so my opinions are probably biased (though not necessarily towards my employer).  Along those same lines, what I'm posting reflects my opinion and not necessarily theirs.[/DISCLAIMER]

There is no AV vendor that will keep you 100% safe.  The ability for a bad person to pay a couple hundred bucks and download a kit that allows them to create software that will defeat damn near any AV technology in the world with a few clicks of buttons creates a huge arms race problem for the security vendors.

What I can tell you is that certain technologies are much better at detecting malware than others.  I will rank them in the order in which I believe them to be the most effective:
Whitelisting (Bit9) - most effective at stopping bad things, but a gigantic pain in the ass.
Reputation (Symantec) - nice compromise from whitelisting, but depending on your reputation settings some stuff will get through.
Network Stack Analysis / Host Based Intrusion Prevention (Most major pay players) - good at detecting browser based exploits.
Virtualization/Sandboxing (Many major pay players) - neat tech, somewhat effective, huge performance cost, shockingly easy to beat by advanced malware.
Heuristics (Almost everyone, even the free players) - not bad, but easy to defeat.
Signatures/Blacklisting (Everyone) - Terrible.  Only good at catching the super obvious.

Personally I run the software that my company provides because it's pretty good and is free for me.  If I worked for another of the major vendors, I'd probably run one of theirs.  I'd never run the free stuff because I've seen too many lab reports showing it to be crap.  I've watched people defeat it with a few mouse clicks.  To me, it's barely above running anything at all.

That being said, if you do a lot of browsing and/or file sharing with lots of people, it's really only a matter of time before you get infected regardless of what AV software you are using, IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:20:50 PM by gellar » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »

BTW 360 is a pretty good product but it's UI is seemingly designed with the mind that the end user is utterly retarded.  Norton Internet Security is the same protection engine in a non shitty UI, and costs less. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »

Oh and lastly - change all your passwords to your critical accounts.  Decent chance if you've been owned, those creds exist on someone's server somewhere waiting to be sold.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »

I haven't used anything Norton/Symantec in years because their software became so bloated and it was difficult to get rid of once you installed it. Has it gotten better?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 27, 2012, 04:09:06 PM

I haven't used anything Norton/Symantec in years because their software became so bloated and it was difficult to get rid of once you installed it. Has it gotten better?

The more recent versions (2009+, I think) run very cleanly.  You don't even need to bother turning them off anymore if you are gaming, and this is on a relatively old system.  They do provide a horrific amount of annoying OMG YOU ARE GOING TO GET INFECTED notices once your subscription is up though.  Uninstalling seems relatively painless on Win7.

Tip on uninstalling AV: most of the paid AV vendors have nice uninstall utilities for their competitors that run while you install their product.  Much easier than uninstalling yourself if you're switching to another vendor.
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »

I didn't want to make a whole separate thread, so I apologize if I derail, but do any of you guys have antivirus/malware recommendations for Mac also?  I reformatted my gaming PC and I now use it only for gaming.  I bought a MacBook Air as a general purpose computer, but it is my first Mac and I am not familiar with Mac software.  I have always heard they are less likely to get a virus, but with the rise in popularity in Macs I figure more viruses will be written for them so I want to make sure I am covered. 

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »

Quote from: Grimwar on April 01, 2012, 02:04:28 PM

I didn't want to make a whole separate thread, so I apologize if I derail, but do any of you guys have antivirus/malware recommendations for Mac also?  I reformatted my gaming PC and I now use it only for gaming.  I bought a MacBook Air as a general purpose computer, but it is my first Mac and I am not familiar with Mac software.  I have always heard they are less likely to get a virus, but with the rise in popularity in Macs I figure more viruses will be written for them so I want to make sure I am covered. 

My wife actually got a virus recently on hers, which was pretty surprising, as I haven't had to remove a virus off a Mac in about 20 years. I grabbed a free program online...I believe it was Sophos, which took care of it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »

I've been using Norton 360 for a few years now... As he mentioned, it is a much better product than in the past... and it has been on the top of a few independent lab tests on and off for a while now...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 05:47:58 AM »

Thanks for all the great advice you guys.   I did change every password.  I also cancelled my debit card and had it reissued under a new number.   I hate this feeling like somebody else has my information, so I'm going with the nuke from orbit option.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: