http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:57:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computers vs Electric Bill?  (Read 1140 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2006, 02:54:21 PM »

How much power do newer computers suck up these days?  

For example, is a computer witha 650W power supply, and say two 7900GTs in SLI mode make a noticeable dent on the power bill these days?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 11:56:23 PM »

Short answer: They consume a ton of power.

Long Answer:

Figure $20-$25 or more a month per PC for a modern system. If you have power hungry CPU/GPU's, you can add a good $5-10 a month to that.

Also don't forget, PCs, Monitors and everything else draw trickle power even when they are turned off, this really adds up.  I keep my boxes on a master switch that I "Kill" everynight before I hit the sack.  This dropped $10 a month off my electric bill.

I used to have 5 boxes on a lan gaming cluster here, but we recently cut back to 3 (one for me, the other two for the wife and kids) because of the high power bills and it is $$$ keeping 5 boxes up to date reasonably well.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 01:20:12 AM »

Figure $20-$25 or more a month per PC for a modern system. If you have power hungry CPU/GPU's, you can add a good $5-10 a month to that.

Ouch.  How often did you leave yours on for that?

Also don't forget, PCs, Monitors and everything else draw trickle power even when they are turned off, this really adds up. I keep my boxes on a master switch that I "Kill" everynight before I hit the sack. This dropped $10 a month off my electric bill.

I'm assuming for all 5?

That's crazy though, I didn't think the drain was that bad.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 03:37:49 AM »

All 5 weren't left on, in fact 2 of them were seldom on.  Mine was on almost all day everyday, my two sons varied.  Mine was obviously the biggest hit.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 09:05:55 AM »

There is some debate about this, but anyone know if a computer/power supply is constantly pulling its wattage or just about as much as it needs?
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 03:25:31 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 15, 2006, 09:05:55 AM

There is some debate about this, but anyone know if a computer/power supply is constantly pulling its wattage or just about as much as it needs?

I wish I knew the answer, my friends and I debate this. I think it draws a constant wattage from the P/S, however a buddy claims otherwise, sayin g this is the reason some chips and components use their power draw as a selling point.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 03:50:32 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 15, 2006, 09:05:55 AM

Hm... good question, and one I tried to research to no avail yesterday.

I was under the impression that a standard PSU constantly pulled its full listed wattage out, but I have no idea how I got that impression.

EDIT:  I just found the answer -- PSUs only pull what they need based on the resistance of attached components.

A switcher power supply draws only the power it needs from the AC line.

Source:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-supply1.htm

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 04:00:14 PM by -Lord Ebonstone- » Logged

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 02:23:36 AM »

I think my pc's have 400-450 watt power supplies. That's roughly 4 100 watt light bulbs when the pc is really going. That of course doesn't count the monitor and all the periphials.

Ye Olde Farte
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 07:26:56 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 10, 2006, 11:56:23 PM

I find that hard to believe since my electric bill averages about that in the summer unless your electric rates are much higher.  Things like washing machines, refrigerators, and ovens take up a lot more juice.  dbt1949's reasoning makes more sense.  Figure it's the equivalent of 6 or 8 100 watt bulbs for as long as you have it on each day.  The power off trickle is really too minor to even worry about.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 03:29:25 PM »

$20-25 if they are left on 24/7.  Casual use, subtract as necessary.

Trickle charges are underestimated, a study in teh UK found 8-10% of all energy use is from trickle charges and they are moving to outlaw them on electronic devices sold there.  http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,19509-2266159,00.html

Like I said, I eliminated most trickle charges in my house, and dropped $10 off my monthly bill.  But I did have to buy smart power strips for the non-PC stuff so those standby charges were killed as well.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 11:29:10 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 17, 2006, 03:29:25 PM

Trickle charges are underestimated, a study in teh UK found 8-10% of all energy use is from trickle charges and they are moving to outlaw them on electronic devices sold there.  http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,19509-2266159,00.html

Interesting.  I really don't need my PS2 staring at me with the red standby light.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: