http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 09:43:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: computer upgrade question (AMD sockets)  (Read 472 times)
hitbyambulance
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2013, 03:28:00 AM »

i'm looking into upgrading my machine to handle a larger, higher-resolution monitor - the one i'm using right now is a 17" Samsung SyncMaster 170MP from 2003. originally i thought i would just switch out the video card... then i thought that the processor might bottle-neck the graphics performance, so then i'd need a new one of those... but my motherboard is AM3 and has no update for AM3+.

questions are:

1) would my machine's performance be bottle-necked by a decent ATi video card? and if so,
2) is the best possible AM3 processor really going to make much of a difference over my current one? (if not, then swapping out motherboard and RAM and reinstalling OSes becomes necessary.... which i'd rather not do, at this point.)

system specs:
8GB (4x2GB) A-DATA Gaming Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (running at 1333 speed)
AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AMD 770 AM3
Socket AM3 PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333) ATX Motherboard Retail
HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 HD
SilverStone ST50F 500W PSU
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 12:13:50 AM »

I shall refer you to the Anandtech 'bench' department, whereupon you may plug in the closest possible comparison to your CPU, which I believe was a Phenom 2 X4 920, and compare performance to other cpu's that will fit the board.

The final answer is, it can make some difference, on some games. If it were me, I might go ahead with the decent gpu, and then do mobo/cpu/ram the cycle after that if the performance on your new gpu doesnt feel up to snuff. There's not a WHOLE lot of point long term to adding upgrades to a 'dead' socket/platform. (am3 vs am3+)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

Atomic

PS: I've mentioned before, and perhaps it will help you in the future. I tend to do my upgrades once a year. I'll do gpu one year, and cpu/mobo/ram the next. Or storage, or what have you. Basically, 500$ a year or so (sometimes more, sometimes less, but 500 or so), and upgrades with a mind for whatever it is to last for at least two years. It actually works really well, although bleeding edge parts quite obviously don't fit in that budget.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »

so it looks like upgrading the processor with the current socket wouldn't make much of a difference; good to know.

i didn't expect AM3 to be 'obsoleted' so quickly, tho...
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:10:29 AM »

You might be interested in this article.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6934/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-single-multigpu-at-1440p

It's really focused on high resolution gaming, as opposed to something a little more sane. BUT.

The comparative info IS relevant when pondering cpu/gpu choices. Note the final page of the article, which contains notes and recommendations based on the NOW. Pretty sane ones just looking at it.

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: