http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 09:30:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Responding Extremely Slowly (Updated Problem)  (Read 1015 times)
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:09:33 AM »

This problem first popped up yesterday but at the time wasn’t causing many problems so I thought it would just go away.  Anyways I first started to notice sluggish responses from games on Steam; my mouse would often take a second or two to catch up.  Today the sluggish mouse has returned, I can’t start games on Steam at all, and normal applications are taking upwards of 30 seconds to start. 

I’ve already run my own virus scanner, ad aware, and even tried submitting a hijackthis log but nothing has shown up as being wrong.

I’m running Vista 32 bit and have never had a problem like this.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:27:51 AM by Lordnine » Logged
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:12:46 AM »

Try running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware just to make sure.

Any new thing you installed, maybe new drivers? Anything out of the ordinary happening other than the things you described (like pop ups or firewall blocking more things than normal)?
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:27:47 AM »

Thanks, I ran the program and it did find a couple files.  The mouse sluggishness has vanished but programs still seem to be running slow.  Also, Steam games still won’t launch.
The only thing I’ve installed recently was the demo for Drakensang.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:57 AM »

Try running Kaspersky Online Scanner.  You have to use IE to run this one though.

What did Malwarebytes found?

May also want to download SuperAntiSpyware and run it. You can get it here.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:10:33 PM »

Sometimes when all the scans fail it could indicate a hardware failure. In this case your HD may be dying. Just one potential problem, but I would recommend backing up all your important files just in case your HD is about to bite it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »

Thanks guys.  The Kaspersky found a Trojan that everything else had missed.  Everything seems to be back to what it was, I was able to start TF2 and the program lag is gone.  I’m going to run SuperAntiSpyware anyways just to be sure.

Malwarebytes found three tracking cookies and two registry entries.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »

Glad it worked out for ya.  What kind of trojan did it find?  If it's something that steals passwords, you may want to start changing them from another computer that you know for sure is clean just to be on the safe side.

What AV are you currently running?
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:45:12 PM »

It was Trojan-Clicker.HTML.IFrame.dn

Technical details

This Trojan opens web links without the knowledge or consent of the user. It is an HTML file. The file is 483 bytes in size.

Not sure why that would cause the problems it did but they seem to have stopped now.
I use Nod32.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:47:43 PM »

Glad the scan removed it just fine.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 04:27:30 AM »

Well the problem returned.  While the Trojan probably wasn’t helping I don’t think it was the cause.  Thinking about what Scraper said I opened up the computer and tried starting with only the main hard drive plugged in.  Doing so everything was running fine so I came to the conclusion that that drive is failing. 

Funny thing is when I plugged it back in restarted to finish backing up and everything is running great again.  Now I’m not sure if it was just a loose connection or if there is a more serious problem.  Does anyone know a good testing application to tell if a drive is failing?
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 04:33:35 AM »

Your BIOS may have S.M.A.R.T. as an option to enable.  It's caught failing drives on some of my clients' machines before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: