http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 10:01:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer is seriously on the fritz, looking to build a new system.  (Read 769 times)
CSL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2008, 08:06:36 AM »

On the fritz, that's how I'd describe my rig right now as its been randomly shutting down occasionally and getting artifacting on any game that uses my GPU to any extent - even EU:Rome.

So not wanting to deal with my issues I'd rather just upgrade, but on the cheap. I know I can reuse a few parts from my computer such as the RAM, HDD, the case, and the monitor so I just need basically a new PSU, GPU, Motherboard, and CPU - probably want to spend $500 to $700 at most. I don't feel as though I'll be doing most of my gaming on the computer nowadays, so it doesn't have to be a beast of a machine, but I'd like to play this years upcoming triple-AAA titles at an acceptable framerate on a 17" screen.

Suggestions?

Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »

If it is your graphics card, then I would suggest buying a new graphics card and perhaps power supply.  Try them in your existing rig.  If it works, great.  Keep the parts for the later full upgrade.  If not, you have 2 pieces to move forward with.  You would only lose some time.  Intel's Nehalem processor is not too far off.  This should drive the prices of earlier models down even further.
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »

Oh on a separate note, I had a similar problem with a cad workstation once.  The heat sink on the GPU had gotten loose and was causing artifacting and lockups.  You may want to look at yours.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:06:13 PM »

Yep sounds like a heat issue.  Check out the ultra cheap gaming rig thread a few down for some ideas.

morlac00 on PSN
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 06:03:06 PM »

What is your current video card?

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: