http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 07:18:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing file behavior in IE/Acrobat  (Read 358 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »

This is sort of a weird question maybe... but it seems like there are folks around here who do more of this sort of support, which I don't really do, but need to.

We have a user who is complaining that when they installed Acrobat Reader XI, it stopped giving them the option to 'Open' the PDFs served by our system, and that they just get the 'Save' option.

Details:
They are using 64 bit IE on Windows 7. I am trying to get confirmation they are using IE 10.
They installed Adobe Acrobat Reader XI.
The PDF is being generated on the fly by SQL Reporting Services.  She reports that other PDFs (that I know are direct links to files) don't have this issue.

When I set up the same scenario, it worked just fine for me.

I'm wondering if there is a setting somewhere that she defaulted the action to be 'Save', and if I can get her to change something maybe she'll be able to have the 'Open' option again.  This really isn't within the type of support we provide - we support the system, not the computers of our users - but if we can get her working she'll stop complaining that our system is 'incompatible'.

Thanks for any help!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »

I happen to have the same configuration.  Issue does not repro for me.  default settings, fwiw.  to be sure, this is when I hit the drop down for save and select PDF. 

I do remember a similar issue in the old job with W7 and Reader X.

searching finds a few hits on earlier versions of Acrobat and suggested changes to the "view in browser" setting, which may be listed now as "Allow fast web view" under the Internet preferences of Acrobat XI. 

beyond that, she's clearly blaming your system when it's an issue with her local Acrobat settings and should be picked up by local desktop support, not SQL reporting support. any local desktop techs should take a look at her settings and try a clean install of XI. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »

Good advice, thanks.  I will have her try that.

I'll give her what help I can, but at a certain point, what can you do, really...
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »

yeah, it's no like you can just claim "Doesn't repro, work around available, won't fix." and have her satisfied. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: