http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 08:54:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannot Update Steam  (Read 1092 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:54:40 AM »

I'm having issues updating Steam. Whenever I attempt to do so, it begins the download for several seconds and then gives me the message: "Error. You must be connected to the Internet for this update." Then the update promptly exits unfinished. At first I thought it was an issue with my wi-fi laptop connection. I went to myspeedtest.com, and everything reports back normally. I'm also able to navigate websites and download files elsewhere.

I attempted to update Steam via my gaming desktop, and I get the same error. I turned off my firewall, but this did not help.

Any suggestions?
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:52:41 AM »

If you can login to the client then go access the setting windows then try changing the Download Region to other location at the Download + Cloud tab. Try several location if it still doesn't work.

Here are the latest client update note:

Changes:
- Fixed texture corruption when using the Game Overlay in OpenGL games
- Fixed failing to do HTTP downloads from hosts that started with a numeral  <--- Maybe this bug is the cause of your problem.
- Linux - Added X window manager name to system info dialog
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:57:38 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 05:15:51 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on February 16, 2013, 03:52:41 AM

If you can login to the client then go access the setting windows then try changing the Download Region to other location at the Download + Cloud tab. Try several location if it still doesn't work.

Here are the latest client update note:

Changes:
- Fixed texture corruption when using the Game Overlay in OpenGL games
- Fixed failing to do HTTP downloads from hosts that started with a numeral  <--- Maybe this bug is the cause of your problem.
- Linux - Added X window manager name to system info dialog

I can't log in because Steam automatically tries to update before entering the client. But I think something may be wrong on their end. Their website is loading VERY slowly, and when I attempted to reinstall Steam I can't even download the 1.6mb file from their site. It times out.

Are you guys able to log in without incident? Perhaps they're getting flooded due to the Linux release?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: