http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 11:02:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't access 'launch system restore'  (Read 1570 times)
spatzi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2004, 06:06:32 PM »

I'm trying to set up a new 'system restore' point before I change my ati cat drivers. I'm on win2000. I open 'msconfig' and under the 'general' tab there is a 'launch system restore' button but it's greyed out. I have no idea why, or how I can access it.

egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 03:19:44 AM »

That's really weird.  You can launch System Restore by going to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Systems Tools -> System Restore.  See if clicking that works.

Oddly I have System Restore turned off and the service disabled and the button is not greyed out on my system.  Odd.
spatzi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 04:27:32 AM »

I don't have anything called 'system restore' under that 'system tools' menu. I do have one called 'backup'. Is this the same thing? It has options for 'backing up' drives. Maybe XP it says 'system restore'. I'm on win2000.

stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 12:14:15 AM »

spatzi, that is a different kind of backup.  The first pic you posted is a utility that will backup your data (word files, complete drives, etc.) to another location.

The system restore utility (the second pic) backs up your current configuration (The registry and system settings).

If you wanted to be able make your system go back to the way it was before installing a new program or drivers then you want to use the system restore (you must create a backup first, if it wasn't done automatically).  The other utility will backup everything on your system.

Unfortunately I don't use Win2000 so I am not much help there.  I did want to point out the differences in the programs you have mentioned, though.  Good luck!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 01:22:40 AM »

Wait, I missed that you had Windows 2000.  W2K doesn't have System Restore so you're out of luck.  Actually it's not supposed to have msconfig either so I don't know what's up.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 02:27:47 AM »

did you have a previous OS on here like Windows ME, and then got an upgrade kit?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
spatzi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 10:10:55 PM »

I was on win98 before 2000.

So if I do a 'complete backup', does this mean I need to have extra space for the backup that is equal to the total of everything that's on the computer now? example: I have 250 gigs of data, means the backup space will need to be 250 gigs? I don't have that kind of backup space.

I just want to make sure that if there are any problems with installing the the new ATI cat drivers, that I can go back to previous settings before the install of those drivers. What do I need to do for that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: