http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 11:27:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bluetooth wireless speakers  (Read 2543 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2011, 07:34:52 PM »

Hey kids, I bought a cool Jawbone brand "Jambox" wireless speaker system to use w/ my iPod Touch:
http://jawbone.com/product-jambox-overview
http://www.jawbone.com/support/jambox

I'll admit it's overpriced for what it does ($199.99 MSPR, $179.99 at Amazon which is where I got it) - kind of an impulse buy. It is totally awesomely compact (I'd liken it to a stack of typical chocolate bars), and the sound is awesome for music, movies and games. Although imho, you have to really crank it up to appreciate it.  icon_cool

A rechargeable battery is built in, giving bout 10 hours. You can recharge either via AC Apater, or Micro-USB cable (which connects to a standard USB port. It has several jacks so if you're not in a Bluetooth situation, you can simply plug into it (connector cord included).

I even used it in my car in lieu of my car stereo and the bass in particular for rock music is amazing (like a min subwoofer). Technically, it has two visible speakers behind the grille, but it tends to sound more surround-sound-ish.

We tried it today at work as a sort of speakerphone while I did Face Time video calling with our ad director, who's stuck at home with a cracked foot. While it worked OK, the sound seemed more muffled than just using the Touch's voice port. Though maybe I had the Jambox volume up too high.

"Assigning" it Bluetooth wise to my Touch was quick and painless. Tapping the talk button gives a voice prompt of how much power is left, and it has built in voice stating phone numbers as a callerID feature.

You can actually download different voices from their web site, and some different dial apps to customize it though I haven't tried yet:
http://mytalk.jawbone.com/jb2/mytalk/beta

I thought a Jambox thread would be awfully narrowly focused, thus my more generic title.  icon_smile I realize this is not a "hell" situation, I just think we've already got 5 million threads in off topic, so I thought I'd put this here.

I read some so-so reviews of it in some places online, but so far I love the thing.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:28:27 AM »

I know someone who has a Jambox, and it really is an impressive little device...surprisingly good sound and incredible volume out of such a compact device.  When I first saw/heard it, I was so impressed that I almost bought one for myself but held off because of the high cost and limited use that I would likely give it.  They definitely come at a premium price, but I haven't seen another device on the market that even comes close to the same capability in such a small package.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 08:05:54 AM »

Yeah, I saw it at Best Buy first -- it's in the cellphones section, not the audio speakers section at the full price. Although I had that impulse, I definitely wanted to get it at the Amazon price.

It might be a viable option as PC/laptop speakers. I'm not sure if leaving it plugged in all the time would be good for the battery, and it would sort of be against its charms as a totally wireless/unplugged device.

As a novelty item, demonstrating it for my mom or in our conference room at a meeting today really wowed people, though I think it's just our mutual unfamiliarity with Bluetooth devices.  icon_smile I think I would've loved something like it in my college dorm days in lieu of the 20 lbs+ 1983 Panasonic boombox (which I still have but don't use much). I've sort of made a mental note of it as a possibility for my niece and nephew in a couple years (perhaps the price will come down a bit by then).  icon_cool
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:22:06 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

This morning I found that the online updater thing didn't work in Firefox but works fine in IE. There's a fairly major update to the Jambox itself, including less obnoxious and less frequent battery status audio warnings, and the ability to turn the unit on without the usual funky startup sound (holding the minus button down while turning it on). So it's kinda neat in that the Jambox itself is a device that can be updated and improved, like it's own sort of OS if you will.

There are quite a few different audio choices. The default is fine by me, but you can choose some female voices, and some action-movie/mobster type male voices. There's an arcade one that includes some classic arcade sounds, and a baseball one. And a half dozen language choices, including Spanish, Japanese and Chinese (Mandarin).

You get optional free deal offers when you plug it in for an update. Mine was a... Jamchain so I can hang my Jambox around my neck. Ummm, I don't think I'm hip enough.  icon_razz Plus, I'm not too keen on dangling my $180 Bluetooth speaker gizmo around my neck. I'm not real sure what the chain attaches onto.  paranoid
Why just have a party when you can BE the party. Introducing the JamChain, the only way to wear your music everywhere and anywhere.

Whether you're strollin' down the block or chillin' at the beach, the JamChain is the perfect way to rock out with your JAMBOX.
So, it gives you a code you can use in their online store to get one.

I suppose, if one was adept with one of the various guitar, keyboard, drum etc. apps, it might be kinda fun to hang a Jambox around  your neck and drive everyone around you crazy with your musical prowess (or lack thereof).  Cabbage Patch
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:24:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 02:19:15 PM »

I was looking at the Jawbone a few weeks back when Amazon had it on sale for their Gold Box deal of the day, but didn't pull the trigger.  Kinda kicking myself that I didn't, it'd be awesome to bring to work to listen to tunes in the morning.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:43:52 PM »

What's funny is the Jambox sounds so good in my car (the unit literally starts vibrating when you crank it up, like a mega subwoofer, but it never distorts the way my '96 Toyota's stereo speakers do when playing deep bass), just pointing upwards on my passenger seat, that I wish I could like put four of them in my car. And then you know, add some hydraulic low-rider struts.   headbang

I'll share some sort of iPod video of it cranked up in my car At some point. I can't really use it like that at work and I tend to be bashful at my condo about bothering my neighbors... unlike my neighbor the guitarist  icon_razz

fwiw, technically the brand name is "Jawbone," though I think that's also the name of their Bluetooth cellphone earpiece/mic too.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:46:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:39:53 AM »

Oh, I did see another Bluetooth portable speaker over in Magellan's travel catalog:

FoxLV2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker (also about $199 MSRP)
http://www.magellans.com/store/Electronics___Headphones__Speakers___RadiosEL117
FOXLV2 is the first pocket-sized music system good enough for audio purists with smoother, more extended bass and more open highs. It provides increased output level capability, amazingly good Bluetooth music streaming, and a built-in "business quality" wireless speakerphone.

Product Features:
    Highest fidelity resolution with pocket-sized portability
    Connect to any music source via standard audio cable
    Up to 5 hours of battery life - output wattage increases when wall-powered
    Lithium-ion Bass Battery re-chargeable via USB or wall charger
    Output for optional powered subwoofer
    Includes all the new FoxLv2 performance plus improved Bluetooth music and hands-free capabilities
    25-30' Bluetooth range with improved sound quality
    Automatically connects for instant wireless streaming
    Built-in "business quality" wireless hands-free microphones for speakerphone/conferencing
    Includes speaker one-touch reject/answer/end calls functions
    Universal Power travel adapter kit included (for US/Japan, Europe/China, UK/HK, and Australia)
    Wall or battery powered
    Wired or wireless
    For phones, iPods, Mp3 players, laptops, mobile gaming and more

Size: 5-1/2 x 2 x 1-1/4"
Weight: 8 oz
It lacks the Jambox's Geek factor (e.g., upgradeable hardware system, changeable voiceapps for prompts etc.), but is more optimized for travel use, it seems.

I'm also looking into various Bluetooth stereo headsets. Some I'm looking at...

Motorola MOTOROKR S305
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX492LL/A

Plantronics Pulsar
http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Pulsar-Ultimate-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B000HBPMVY/ref=cm_lmf_tit_7

VIZIO XVTHB100

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-XVTHB100-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B004PYD88I
Cool look but apparently not all that comfy.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:45:48 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »

They're hellaciously pricey, but the Senheiser Bluetooth headphones took a $50 price drop at a Catalog store I frequent (to $149.99):

Senheiser Bluetooth JogPhone
http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/a329.html

The one thing I noticed is that some of these apparently work with iPhones but not iPod Touches (though the Senheiser supposedly works with both fine).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 08:41:39 PM »

While I think the Jambox sound is already quite awesome, they just posted a new LiveAudio update that's supposed to provide ... spatialism.  smoke

http://www.jawbone.com/liveaudio
LiveAudio™ for JAMBOX™ is a technological breakthrough that lets you experience your music, games, video and more like never before — as if you're on stage, in the action, hearing it live. This immersive, three-dimensional listening experience brings incredible depth, detail, and unprecedented spatial realism to everything from mp3s to special binaural recordings. It's like hearing your favorite music and audio content for the first time — the way it was meant to be heard.

LiveAudio Tips
    Toggle LiveAudio on and off by holding the "+" and "-" buttons on JAMBOX until you hear a tone. You'll only hear the LiveAudio effect when streaming wirelessly via Bluetooth.
    LiveAudio makes most audio content sound better and more spatially rich. It all depends on factors like audio format, quality and the way that audio was recorded.
    Enjoy three-dimensional binaural recordings with LiveAudio for JAMBOX...no headphones required. Learn more about binaural audio here »
    For the best effect, place your JAMBOX with LiveAudio about three to four feet in front of you and level with your head. Depending on the content, the volume may be softer when streaming LiveAudio, but it's great for personal enjoyment.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 04:16:40 AM »

the Jambox would be a good thing to strap onto my bicycle rack. my bike sound system idea keeps getting easier to implement over the years...
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »

Do the Jambox speakers work when the charging cable is plugged in?  That would be cool when I'm driving long distances.  My stereo is so old I can't connect my smartphone to it so external speakers/headphones are a must.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 01:16:20 AM »

I don't know anybody who needs a $300 Bluetooth wireless speaker but Jambox decide to make one:

BIG JAMBOX
http://jawbone.com/speakers/bigjambox/overview?r=lm1a

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: