http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 02:55:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bluetooth headphones (any type)  (Read 544 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »

Our lone thread was "behind the neck" wireless headsets, so this didn't qualify.  icon_smile So I made this thread pretty generic. I'm really not into earbuds, they just feel like they're making me deaf and cleaning out my earwax.  icon_razz But you can buy some pricey Bluetooth earbuds too.

I gave in to an impulse buy of Logitech's new Bluetooth wireless headset ($59.99 at Best Buy, I'm sure cheaper online). It's conventional design, a bit "plastic-y" but seems to be sturdy and comfortable. It includes a folding headset mic (oddly, it's on the right earcup unlike the left earcup as most I've used).

The battery is supposed to be good for 6 hours. It includes a USB charging cord but no AC adapter block. While it includes directions for removing the lithium ion battery once it no longer holds a charge well, it's apparently considered "end of product" stuff (i.e., the battery isn't considered user-replaceable, just user-recyclable).

Some pix:

*I have GOT to give it to Logitech for the most "pain-free to open" plastic packaging ever. Other than using a knife to slit the couple plastic sticker seals on the box, I didn't have to resort to scissors or special "hard plastic package opening" tools at all. Nothing was "sealed in," and it was all designed for easy removal and if I had to return it, easily putting it back in the box. I hope it's a trend.  icon_smile

*Most importantly, it fits my fat head.  icon_smile They are lighter than they look, probably due to the plasticness.

Folds easily for storage, but while in its extended form, it feels sturdy. I mention it cause my Sony noise-canceling headphones, while they also fold like this, they almost fold too easily for their own good.

A little light does various things to indicate recharging status, and power on when you have it on. I'm not sure it has an auto shut-off when not in use, so it might not be ideal to fall asleep with this thing on. There's a mic mute button there too.

I initially thought the headphones were too quiet (even with my Touch on max volume). I was thinking I'd have to return it. Then last night I looked closely at the right earcup and realized it had a volume control ring (+/-) on it that adjusts headphones level independent of device volume. DUH!  drool So they sound good, and are NOT too quiet.  icon_smile

*Although it's heavily billed as for iPad 2, iPhone, Touch etc., it'll work with any Bluetooth-enabled device. Range is supposed to be up to 33 feet from the device. I mostly wanted it to listen to music in bed (despite the power switch concern thing), and not have JJ the cat scrambling after my headphone wires.  icon_razz I've also been known to sort of roll over and have my Touch go flying off my bedside table shelf etc.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:26:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 01:40:43 PM »

I have two pair of these:

Altec Lansing (made by Plantronics) Backbeat 903+

They also come with a BT transmitter so if your device doesn't do BT it will still work wirelessly.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »

Motorola headset I've been using for about 5 months

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 03:28:44 PM »

Cool. They both look like something Batman would wear.  icon_cool

Mine looks like a kids' toy but I still like it.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 03:02:35 AM »

I didn't like the HD9's because of the solid band. Fit well enough though. iPhone 3GS antenna stinks.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:06:39 PM »

Thought I'd mention -- if your computer or laptop doesn't have Bluetooth built-in, several companies make very inexpensive ($15-$20 or so) and tiny Bluetooth adapters that plug into a USB port to add that.

About the cheapest I've seen is Iogear's:

Bluetooth 2.1 USB Micro Adapter
http://www.iogear.com/product/GBU421/

I'm happy with my Plantronics non-Bluetooth wireless headset on my PC (has about 8 hours batttery life compared to 6 for the Logitech), but it's kinda nice to know it's so easy to add the ability.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:42:08 PM »

I'm not all that familiar with Bluetooth headphones, but I'm guessing like IR they generally avoid the static that can be introduced in older (RF) wireless headphones being around lots of other computer/electronics?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: