http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 08:32:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Screen of Death?  (Read 3285 times)
Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004, 11:16:31 PM »

OK, please take pity on a mostly MAC user that has no clue about the venerable PC system (hey, I got it JUST for gaming!)

I think I got a blue screen of death.  

Starts out with this delightful message:

A problem has been dectected and windows has been shut down before your computer explodes.  Then it goes on for a while and gives me a street address of some type:

"***STOP: 0x0000008E (OXC000000S, OXF892827A, 0XF8B70D990, 0X00000000)

MpFirewall.sys - Address F892827A, base at F8926000, Date stamp 3d40500a

OK, so I figure I have to update my BIOS (that stands for something, right?) or disable some such thing but where do I start?

Details please cause I might accidently erase my hard drive.

:shock:

We can't all be heros.  Some of us have to sit on the curb and clap as they pass by.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 11:57:32 PM »

Can you give some more details?  When exactly does this happen.  Before Windows loads or after?  At what point in the boot process does this happen?  Did you make any changes recently to the PC that caused this (even a small one)?  Also what version of Windows do you have?

From your current description I don't think this has anything to do with the BIOS as it appears to be a software problem in Windows.
Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 12:45:39 AM »

egrudzin, thanks for responding.

I did a google for "blue screen of death" and have been reading since I posted.  I am trying a few diagnostics and now realize that this not a question that can be answered simply.

I'm running XP on a Dell Dimension 8250.  The blue screen comes up after loading.  Sometimes within a few minutes, sometimes within hours, and it has happened several times within the last 2 months.  I have a feeling it may be a heat thing cause my fan is running big time.  Could also be a memory problem.  

If it's the fan I'll call India cause I still have the inhome warranty for my system and Dell had to replace my hard drive about 6 months ago.

I did a search on for "MpFirewall.sys" since that showed up on the bluescreen and I can't find this in my device manager but it appears to be McAfee related.  I think I'll try and disable McAfee.  

The computer still functions most of the time,but the blue screen scares me, and it seems to be arbitrary.  I just installed  a Logitech mouse, but the blue screen was there before hand.

You're a nice guy to show interest.

We can't all be heros.  Some of us have to sit on the curb and clap as they pass by.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 01:30:23 AM »

That's (probably) not a hardware problem, it's (probably) a software problem.  I would recommend (in this order):

-Updating your McAffee Firewall, ie, patching it.  Chances are MPFirewall.sys is, uhm, firewall-related.
-Uninstalling the McAffee Firewall and reinstalling it.  The driver might have gotten corrupt.
-Uninstalling the McAffee Firewall and using something different.  It might just not get along with the rest of your hardware.

Another BIG thing you need to do ASAP is go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and do an "Express Install" to download all the critical updates for your system--chances are you're missing some critical patches, like SP2.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 01:45:21 AM »

Of course, SP2 might be causing the problem.  You may want to check and see if the Windows firewall is turned off.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 02:50:29 AM »

If you're worried about hardware problems you can do some tests.  Your Dell should have come with some kind of diagnostic CD.  You can boot up on that CD and run a bunch of tests and it will tell you if anything is wrong.  The tech guys on the phone will probably have you do this anyway.

Since the problem seems to be cause by mpfirewall.sys you should just uninstall McAfee Personal Firewall.  Then use the PC and see if the problem repeats.
Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 03:51:18 AM »

Thanks all.  I'll try some of your suggestions and let you know how things turn out.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 04:02:41 AM »

First thing I would do would be to uninstall McAfee, since the BSOD is McAfee related.

Two things I recommend people never run, and that's McAfee products, and Norton (Symantec) products. Yes, I realize they are the two most popular, but they are now bloatware, and have become too big for their own britches. I've solved many a PC problem by uninstalling them. Ok, there's three things... AOL being the other, but I think that one goes without saying.

There are plenty of free, excellent alternatives to anything Symantec and McAfee have to offer.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 01:37:35 PM »

I still think it could be a heat-related issue.  I had a heat-related problem a few years ago with almost the same symptoms; the inevitable BSOD seemed to pick a random process from my task manager, so if you're running the firewall all the time, maybe it's just picking that to crash on for some reason, especialy if it's taking up a lot of CPU cycles.

The easy test for this is to run something that takes a LOT of CPU cycles and see if it crashes faster.  When I had heat issues my system would normally run for about an hour, but then would crash within two minutes of running some heavy compiling in C++.

Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 04:30:03 PM »

I'm going to uninstall McAfee first and substitute with Avast.  If that doesn't work I'll crank up Doom3 and Morrowind at the same time and try the heat test. Tongue

By the way when I tried to do a defrag it aborted and it told me I had some inconsistencies in my system and told me to use chkdsk or scandsk.  I didn't have time to try that before I left for work so that will be the first step.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 08:42:01 PM »

I got BSODs when my CPU/RAM was half-fried awhile back... but that was kind of obvious (long story why I even tried to run it, in short, I needed to prove Alienware wrong).  BSODs can be masking other things, like heat and, uh, critical component failure, but if you're consistently seeing MpFirewall.sys, chances are it's related to, um, MpFirewall.sys.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: