http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:12:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AVG 7.0 Free Edition  (Read 2332 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2005, 05:51:42 PM »

Quick question to the gurus out there.  I am currently using AVG 7.0 Free Edition.  Lately I have been having difficulty getting update files to download.  I also run Zone Alarm Pro, but as far as I can tell ZA isn't preventing the update from downloading.  Does AVG use specific ports, is the download site just swamped at times, etc...?

Any help would be apprectiated, if you need any more info just let me know.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 08:48:15 PM »

on the 6.0 version there was a line in the main *.ini file  to edit to add more mirrors to the servers from which you could obtain updates, but that's long ago and far away to me now.  they had a post on the old forum, but that does us no good here and now.  Sounds a lot like what you're experiencing.

Avast has been treating me well, and caught some trojans that AVG 6.0 missed immidiatley upon installation.

Done posting
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 10:54:46 PM »

I have that same problem with 7.0 and haven't really looked around for a solution yet. So what I'm doing in the meantime is just manually downloading the updates and updating it locally, instead of from the net.  If I see a solution, I'll post it here.
Zitterbacke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 11:37:17 PM »

It works for me, just slow responding. When it comes to the downloads it's fast again. Maybe just Serveroverload?

BF2: BanthaPooDoh
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 06:29:38 PM »

It's been hanging the past two weeks for me.  I think their site is getting hammered.
Zitterbacke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 12:42:18 AM »

Just updated mine again. Took like 1 minute for each request, but when it comes to the download it goes at 20KB/s.

BF2: BanthaPooDoh
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 02:05:05 AM »

If anyone's interested, check Microsoft's Antispyware page for the links to trial anti-virus programs.
I was using AVG free edition as well until I got EZ Antivirus. Download and 1 year subscription for free. Auto updates are a breeze. Never any problems. It's the kind of antivirus program you install and forget about. (Unless something happens)
Of course after my year subscription in january of 2006, I'll go back to AVG free edition, or maybe Anti-Vir.
At least with EZ Antivirus you're getting a "paid" (even though it's free) antivirus protection which are usually better than the free editions.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 03:54:23 AM »

i was having these same problems with avg and could never get updates.  after about 2 weeks of continually not getting updated, i did exactely as corruptrelic did and found the EZ free 1 year antivirus and it's been great so far.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 10:32:58 AM »

So here's what I found out:

add
193.86.103.19 guru.grisoft.com
to your 'hosts' file and it works!
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 04:01:29 PM »

My AVG tab has been grey for days, but it still seems to be working.

/shrug
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 10:59:53 AM »

I've noticed my AVG icon is gray unless I activate the email thingy, which I never do.
Baron Of Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 11:44:24 PM »

you can go here http://free.grisoft.com/doc/24/lng/us/tpl/v5 and update it manually

After download is completed, move file to UPDATE subdirectory. This subdirectory
is located in main AVG directory (the directory, where you have AVG installed).
Run AVG .
AVG will find new Update file and use it automatically.

GoneGold refugee, needs food and place to stay
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 04:42:40 AM »

Ive been using BitDefender's free version.  It doesnt have an on-access scanner, but I can schedule it to update itself every day (and to scan the computer, of course).  

Not the best virus scanner, but pretty good for a free one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: