http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 08:31:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe - "I'm not the biggest fan... [Updated]  (Read 2689 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2007, 01:50:01 PM »

...but I AM the loudest!!" - the_goddamned_northbridge_fan

Yeah, so I'm looking at replacing the stock fan/heatsink of the mobo with one of these :
Zalman ZN-NBF47 Fanless Aluminum Northbridge Chipset Cooler

or
Zalman ZM-47J Northbridge Chipset Heatsink

Has anyone had to go through this? I understand this is a pretty popular board, and a lot of people have replaced their northbridge cooling systems. Any other suggestions? I'm trying to keep costs low, but I wouldn't mind being able to overclock either...

[EDIT] See the update below (http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,18519.msg258217.html#msg258217)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 10:47:43 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 02:08:20 PM »

Oh dear jesus purge, that thing is awesome.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:32:58 PM »

which one?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:36:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 01, 2007, 02:32:58 PM

which one?

The first one, with sort of the spread look. That thing looks great. It probably dissipates heat well too smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 05:23:42 PM »

I just use a nice and quiet fan for my processor. That, combined with quiet fans on the rest of the system, and a decent case, means that I never hear my PC unless I have the speakers completely off. And even then it's about as loud as my laptop (which translates into not much).

The fanless solutions, while silent (for obvious reasons), rely entirely on the flow of air through your case to keep cool. If it isn't good, you're gonna be running hot at best. And don't even consider overclocking with one of them.

EDIT: Just realized you're replacing the Northbridge instead of the processor fan/heatsink. In that case, it shouldn't be too bad. Just mind the space in the case you'll be using. For my case, it just wouldn't fit without major recabling of my cords.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 05:26:10 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 09:35:47 PM »

I just unplug my NB fan... I've got enough ambient cooling to where the NB temps don't rise at all.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 01:56:09 AM »

I've replaced the northbridge on my MSI motherboard with a passive zalman, and it worked quite well. However, due to the positioning of the northbridge, I had to modify the heatsink by trimming some of the 'fins' from one side, so there was enough room for my graphics solution. After eyeballing the positioning of the northbridge on the asus mb, I suspect you to will have similar issues, unless your graphics solution is very 'slender'. Mine is an ati x800-xl with a zalman 700 cooler on it... with some trimming it fits just right, and has the added benefit of the 'wash' from the cooler, directly flowing over the northbridge.

After an extended period of time, and with upgrades on the horizon, I ordered the sli version of these, though I havent installed it yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Brand=1444&N=2010110572+50001444&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1444&SubCategory=572

Depending on how you fit it, it looks like either one could work for your setup... though I think I'd go with the SLI variant. If you check the website for the installation instructions, you'll see that you can mount it so that the radiator sits above the top video card, as long as there's nothing already in that space (custom video cooler, for instance). This also has the advantage of positioning the heatpipes above your heat source, if you're in a normal tower case.. which optimizes heatflow along the unit. (heat rises)

Good luck.

Atomic

PS: The comment about case airflow above is correct... and critical. You must have decent airflow through your case, in order for 'passive' cooling such as this, to work well. Eyeball your airflow and apply common sense, etc. Too much? wrong direction? etc. Also be sure cabling etc is minimal and tucked neatly where possible. In particular, IDE and large SCSI cables are your main enemy.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 02:00:52 AM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 02:14:07 PM »

I've got 2 120mm fans (one on the back, and one on the left side of the hard disks... that should land it right in front of the northbridge chip. Also, I have the Zalman heatpipe fan on my VGA card.

The heatpipe one seems like a good idea, but going upwards gives me very little airflow.(as I don't have a chimney fan). This would create a heat-pocket that would consist of 2 burners and that..

Spiff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 02:31:01 PM »

Purge,

I had to do that with my Asus board. It's very common with the A8N. It usually begins with the screaming noise, and then the fan goes. They changed fan and enclosure types with the first board revision. The initial ones were failing at an alarming rate.

I bought the Zalman cooler, but I had interference problems with my 6800 Ultra, and I believe my 7950 video cards. The fins were a little too tall. If that isn't an issue for you, the Zalman is a great cooler.

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 10:51:45 PM »

Looks to me like your rear exhaust and your psu exhaust will handle it. You wont have direct fan flow from the front of the case, but the air will still be moving. As long as you've got circulation, that should be enough. If it bothers you, you could get a quiet 60mm and ziptie it to the cooler. (use some sort of pad to dampen vibration) I understand there's going to be a fan header free on the mb biggrin

Atomic
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 02:17:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 01, 2007, 01:50:01 PM

...but I AM the loudest!!" - the_goddamned_northbridge_fan

Yeah, so I'm looking at replacing the stock fan/heatsink of the mobo with one of these :
Zalman ZN-NBF47 Fanless Aluminum Northbridge Chipset Cooler

or
Zalman ZM-47J Northbridge Chipset Heatsink

Has anyone had to go through this? I understand this is a pretty popular board, and a lot of people have replaced their northbridge cooling systems. Any other suggestions? I'm trying to keep costs low, but I wouldn't mind being able to overclock either...

So what happened with this anyway?  I have the same board and you are right, its like a damned lawnmower in my case.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 06:49:54 PM »

I am getting it by friday. Status update then. biggrin

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 07:29:58 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 19, 2007, 06:49:54 PM

I am getting it by friday. Status update then. biggrin

Which did you end up choosing? 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 08:43:41 PM »

Personally.. I don't think there's a need for an active cooling solution on a northbridge anymore.

If I were going to switch to a non stock cooler I'd go with this thermalright.

The heatpipe design is really efficient and as long as your case has decent airflow it'll work great. Plus it's designed to allow long videocards to fit right past it.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 02:33:05 AM »

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 09:12:57 PM »

Meh. Zalman makes good products but have fallen out of favor with me due to their complete refusal to update their cpu cooler designs.

The other companies are all passing them by with better products for less money.

When I do my system upgrade later this year I'll be ditching my CNPS9500 CPU cooler and switching to a Thermalright or a Tuniq.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 04:05:05 AM »

"Thermalright HR-05-SLI Copper Heatsinks only" runs at 2x+ the price of that Zalman. I'm all for shopping the product and not the brand; at this point it seemed the right way to go.

I got it today; I'll install it tomorrow.

javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 08:40:47 PM »

The spread look is very cool. I hope it works out for ya. Keep us posted!  nod

Was looking and I think this'd look better in my case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835701003
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 08:46:59 PM by javahead » Logged

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 08:58:22 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 21, 2007, 04:05:05 AM

"Thermalright HR-05-SLI Copper Heatsinks only" runs at 2x+ the price of that Zalman. I'm all for shopping the product and not the brand; at this point it seemed the right way to go.

I got it today; I'll install it tomorrow.

You are going to take pictures, right?

Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 05:09:17 PM »

Very late response to the thread, but I replaced the Northbridge fan almost a year ago now (sometime in May). The difference in sound is day and night. How that lawnmower of a fan got into an otherwise great board beats me. I used the second one in your pictures (ZM-47J), and the whole procedure was fairly painless (other than having to remove the MB to get the damn thing out).

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 05:57:56 PM »

Quote from: Jiffy on March 25, 2007, 05:09:17 PM

Very late response to the thread, but I replaced the Northbridge fan almost a year ago now (sometime in May). The difference in sound is day and night. How that lawnmower of a fan got into an otherwise great board beats me. I used the second one in your pictures (ZM-47J), and the whole procedure was fairly painless (other than having to remove the MB to get the damn thing out).

Mine got replaced last night while I had the board out to change cases.  I found a silent fan and replaced it, then put the little cage over the top, just like it was, but much more quiet.  They must have saved a whopping 2 cents by using that shoddy piece of crap instead of a decent fan.  Top notch...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 10:41:21 PM »

here's my Zalman install:

This is what I had to Dremel away:

This is the video card shot with the CPU air scoop removed:

And this shows the tight fit with the capacitors on the northeast side

Not only did I have to modify the fins, I also had to modify both L brackets that fasten to the bottom.

The runners on the bottom (seen in as seen in this pic (1.7 MB jpeg; be warned) ) show that there is a gap in the middle; this is on both sides. I was unable to find ANY other way to mount it other than shortening the runners. The problem? The L brackets use a single screw hole rather than a hollow gap.

I would ultimately NOT recommend this for the ASUS A8N-SLI mainboard based on the chipset placement and mounting hole placement. (Note that there are some VERY tight fits with the capacitors and the mount hole on the northeast side (56K warning).

It does work great; it's not Zalman's fault.  You can find all of the high-res pics at http://members.shaw.ca/gamingtrend/case/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:20:39 PM by Purge » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 11:29:21 PM »

Pictures like these make me glad that my Northbridge is just a solid metal heatsink that's close to the board.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 05:04:43 AM »

Holy crap...

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 03:18:02 AM »

Your case wiring makes me wanna cry  icon_lol

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 02:16:54 PM »

I couldn't be bothered with cable shrink-wraps and or ties and the airflow isn't impeded either. The box is a closed unit with no windows; I don't have leprechauns dancing around in there who are afraid of the dark.... and actually that 120mm fan has blue lights so they'd be alright anyways. biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 02:53:30 PM »

Purge, if you mind this question in this thread, please let me know-but since you are dealing with cooling and cpus and stuff I thought I would ask.

Is a fancy Zalman or even a Tuniq120 good or neccessary for Core2Duo cooling?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 02:35:41 AM »

Quote from: Calvin
Is a fancy Zalman or even a Tuniq120 good or neccessary for Core2Duo cooling?

If you want to overclock I'd say yeah go for the aftermarket cooler. If you don't want to bother with it then just stick with the stock cooler. Core 2 temps are really low at stock speeds anyway.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: