http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 08:37:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have one of these?  (Read 1646 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2005, 06:43:29 AM »

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat7000050002&id=1051384663529

I`m looking at this for nintendo wi-fi, xbox live, and my pc. Anyone have one and care to comment? I did see another in the store that I`m not seeing here right now, and it was said to be better. I can`t really remember why though? Any ideas?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 07:30:06 AM »

I have the 802.11b version and its worked very very well since I got it.  Handles my whole household (2 PCs, a PDA, a Laptop, and 5 consoles) nicely.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 07:51:35 AM »

Thanks for the info. It looks like maybe this http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=299 would suit me better though actually. The linksys one seems to be have issues with live it says on the site. Any comments on this one anyone?

This looks to be issue-free(well...) with both live and nintendo wi-fi.
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 08:48:57 AM »

The WRT54G (or GS) is pretty much the single best consumer-grade 802.11b/g router you will ever see.

It's Firmware is based on Linux, meaning it is open-source, and also hackable.  Here is a pretty good article about it.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 05:49:15 PM »

I completely agree with Unbreakable

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 05:46:06 AM »

I have used D-Link routers for a while now, and I've never had any problems with them.  I've been happy with them.

Also, you might want to check www.newegg.com becuase Best Buy is usually a rip off for routers from what I've seen.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 05:55:54 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Also, you might want to check www.newegg.com becuase Best Buy is usually a rip off for routers from what I've seen.

Best Buy (as well as most brick and mortar stores) are generally a ripoff when it comes to hardware when compared to Newegg. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 08:06:59 AM »

Thanks guys. I`d prolly go with bb because when i bought my tv there i got the rewards zone stuff, but ill def look elsewhere to see if its worth it, thx for the heads up. I did see that new revisions of the linksys router being dissussed had quite a few issues with both live! and nintendo w-fi though :roll: .
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 08:51:21 AM »

I believe I have that DLINK router and it has worked quite well for me so far.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 09:08:25 AM »

Well for general usage, almost any 802.11b/g router will work good.  I've been using a NetGear router for a few years.  My friend has a Belkin one which... while I dislike configuring it, and you can't do much with it aside from using it as a broadband router, it is functionally fine.

However, if the question is what is the best one, there is a clear winner in that category, and that is the WRT54G (or GS, which is the same except it can use LinkSys's 'SpeedBoost' compression algorithm).  The article I posted has a link to one of the alternative firmware sites- take a look.  You can add tons of features to the router just by using one of the alternative firmwares: we are talking functions only available on $600 business class routers.  I guess the real difference is that you can turn a piece of commercial grade equipment into the equivalent of an enterprise class wireless router as far as features are concerned.

I got the WRT54G just because I'm a geek; I really haven't even done anything with it yet  :roll:   I have a lot of hardware that ends up like that: lots of cool potential uses I don't put it to.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 07:11:52 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Well for general usage, almost any 802.11b/g router will work good.  I've been using a NetGear router for a few years.  My friend has a Belkin one which... while I dislike configuring it, and you can't do much with it aside from using it as a broadband router, it is functionally fine.

However, if the question is what is the best one, there is a clear winner in that category, and that is the WRT54G (or GS, which is the same except it can use LinkSys's 'SpeedBoost' compression algorithm).  The article I posted has a link to one of the alternative firmware sites- take a look.  You can add tons of features to the router just by using one of the alternative firmwares: we are talking functions only available on $600 business class routers.  I guess the real difference is that you can turn a piece of commercial grade equipment into the equivalent of an enterprise class wireless router as far as features are concerned.

I got the WRT54G just because I'm a geek; I really haven't even done anything with it yet  :roll:   I have a lot of hardware that ends up like that: lots of cool potential uses I don't put it to.

See I`ve read ALOT of people are having issues with nintendo wifi with the wrt54g, just the newer revision I guess...go figure.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 07:33:58 AM »

I just want to echo the positives of the WRT54G.

I don't have one myself, but I've setup two for friends and they're awesome. They also seem to handle sending their signal through walls/floors/ceilings better than any other routers I've ever used before.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 04:39:37 AM »

Amazon and other places have some rather negative comments about the latest version (v5) of the WRT54G, so do your research.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 06:50:37 AM »

Quote from: "Freezer-TPF-"
Amazon and other places have some rather negative comments about the latest version (v5) of the WRT54G, so do your research.

Bingo. Now that`s what I`m talking about. I heard it`s a great router, just this revision blows!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 08:16:42 PM »

Quote from: "Freezer-TPF-"

I'm in the market for one of these.  Any idea where I can do this research?  I'd like to ensure I know which revision to look for when checking around here.  I found a good site that lists and shows the different revisions, but beyond the tech specs and inside looks they don't exactly go out of their way to mention DS/Xbox compatibility.

Thanks!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: