http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:09:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody got an HP 2133 Mini Note laptop? :)  (Read 1715 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2008, 06:14:50 PM »

I talked myself out of the Eee PC, seeking something I might be able to actually write on (I'm a reporter, who has somehow never owned a laptop all these years) rather than a keyboard designed for munchkins.

If you're looking for something meant for adults to type on, HP's Mini Note is getting some good notices:

Official Mini Note page:
http://h40059.www4.hp.com/hp2133/index.html

More detailed HP specs page (at their biz products sub-site):
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-321838-306995-3687084-3687085-3704509.html

Engadget round up
http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/08/hp-mini-note-2133-officially-official/

Unboxed (by an Engadget reader who received one)
http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/17/hp-mini-note-gets-unboxed-causes-extreme-jealousy/

But it's not quite in the EeePC price range ($499 street price for a Linux version, though MSRP is $549). They're adding an XP pre-install option in May, supposedly. Also supposedly, the keyboard is only about 8% smaller than normal, so it might be something a writer could actually write on.  icon_smile

It seems to be about 2.8 lbs. (2.63 lbs. with the solid state drive option), and has about a 8.9" screen.

I was going to mention it in the Eee PC thread, but I figure I oughta keep it separate. The lower models might sort of be considered Eee PC competitors; the higher end is more like a full laptop, for better or worse.
=============
*BJ's Quick FAQ....
Q: Is there a TOUCHSCREEN VERSION?? OHMIGOD PLEASE let there be a TOUCHSCREEN!
A: No. Sorry to break your heart.  crybaby

Q: Solid state drive man! Magnetic disks are so PASSE, MAN!
A: That's not a question, dude. If you view the "datasheet" PDF on the specs page, it mentions there's a 64GB solid state drive option. Haven't seen a price for it yet though.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:28:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »

The Notebook Review review is pretty thorough:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4352
They rave about the overall design, and the comfort of the keyboard (key to me).

However, they have some complaints about the anti-scratch coating causing reflection problems (which apparently is the main flaw with an otherwise impressive screen) and the weird mouse button design (located on the left and right sides of the touchpad instead of beneath it), and seem to feel the CPU is underpowered (even for a bargainy notebook).
The keyboard on the 2133 Mini-Note is great. To put it plainly, this is the best keyboard we've seen on a notebook this small. The keys have a silver finish and are smooth to the touch. There isn't a textured feel to the keyboard. The best thing though is how big it is.

The HP 2133 Mini-Note is one of the most impressive subnotebooks we've ever seen. Unfortunately, the amazing design and solid range of features are diminished by a sub-par processor and a price tag that places this notebook dangerously close to far superior 12-inch notebooks such as the HP tx2000.
Hopefully someone can come up with some sort of stick-on anti-reflective overlay to solve the reflection issue.

The Windows XP option next month should addresss some of the performance issues (the CPU's clearly not suited to Vista, is how it looks).

And then there's cooling issues. Bah it sucks!  icon_lol
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:55:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:00:02 AM »

I've  been looking at this one too.  Two things that put me off though is that the top of the line model isn't exactly cheap (almost $1000?) and the performance seemed to be really quite crap.  If it gets better reviews then I might consider it when I pick up a ultra-portable in July.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 01:13:09 PM »

More thoughts.  Why the huge bezel?  That's one thing I hate about the original Eee PC, the screen is tiny compared to the actual size of the computer.  Second, this VIA processor is just not up to snuff.  The 630 Mhz processor of the Eee Pc was beating the 1.6ghz Mini.  I don't expect a gaming rig but I do want it to run decently.  I'm a little bit concerned about the battery life.  I think the standard 3 cell battery only has 2 hours or maybe 2.5 hours and the extended battery (6cell) apparently sticks out from the computer a lot and ruins the compact nature of it.  I like the fact that it comes with a 120gig HD (especially siince finding out that the Eee 900 is going to have  a 4gb soldered master and a 16 gb slave).  Also the price point.  $399 is ideal.  $499 is getting up there but still acceptable if it keeps going for at least 2 years.  But when you get up to the $750 price point then you definitely aren't getting your money's worth any more.

I wont be buying a computer until July (when I come back to Canada for a vacation) so hopefully by then there will be a lot more to choose from.  I'm hoping by then there will be some Eee PC's with the new Atom processor and some comparisons with the Celeron.  Perhaps Dell will also have their ultra-portable out by then.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:18:50 PM »

I dug around, there's a mini-site within HP's biz site that lists the various "pre-configured" models:

HP 2133 Mini-Note PC- models
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/321957-321957-64295-321838-306995-3687084.html

I think there's an option to have them "downgrade" (haha) the OS from Vista to Windows XP Pro, in the configurations, which would seem like the prudent thing to do if they don't use it as a cheesy way to charge more.

Although it's just what I'm looking for in a lot of ways, I am rather hyper-sensitive to noise (the Eee PC is apparently quite as a mouse, but the tiny keyboard is a barrier for me). The reflection problem is probably something the aftermarket will have to accessorize-fix (overlays of some sort).

If the hard drive is the noise/heat culprit, I wish they'd consider an 8GB or 12GB flash drive. I assume the solid state hard drive options are still pretty obscenely expensive these days.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »

I read that the Vista Business package gives you the option to downgrade to XP and the most expensive version of the mini does indeed come with Vista Business.  I'm not sure about the cheaper versions.  And yes downgrading to XP would certainly help in the performance department.  Another thing to consider (this might not be important to some people) is that the mini has an ultra reflective screen.  Some people may or may not like that.  The reviewer on Notebookreview.com said that it gave him a headache after two hours.  Not sure if you've read the NotebookReview review but I would highly recommend it.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4352

This is one thing that helps me make my decision right away: a side-by-side startup video. Guess which one wins smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNq7mlrrdm8
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 06:48:57 AM »

if you're using it just for word-processing purposes, why do you need Windows on it at all? with Linux, it'll be cheaper and might even run faster.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 10:23:18 PM »

Did you ever pick this one up or are you still looking?  The only thing holding me back from getting this one is the shit processor.  I wouldn't play Crysis on it but I would like to play some games.  Especially with that beautiful high-resolution screen.  That's my problem with the new Eee Pc-1024x600 is a pretty shitty resolution! Why couldn't they have just made it 768 so then it would support every single game in existence?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 11:54:02 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 04, 2008, 10:23:18 PM

That's my problem with the new Eee Pc-1024x600 is a pretty shitty resolution! Why couldn't they have just made it 768 so then it would support every single game in existence?

Good question. I guess it's because that everybody believes that widescreen is better?

That said - I'm still highly debating on getting the new Eee. Even though I already have a decent laptop (with a near-dead Dell battery).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 04:06:57 AM »

Well they had one of these with the Bic Camera so I was able to play on it a little the other day.  My initial impressions-the keyboard is really really nice to type on.  I honestly felt like I was typing at the same speed that I can on my normal laptop.  Second impression-the monitor really is reflective.  I don't  know what the hell they were thinking-I didn't even know there was a such thing as reflective screens and I thought it was too reflective, so a person who is more anal than me would hate it.  That's the only impressions I had.  If it wasn't for the crappy processor and lack of Windows XP, I'd probably be jumping all over it.  I really like the fact that they have a resolution that goes above 1024x600.  That's a decent resolution, but most of even the older games need a minimum of 1024x768 for a resolution.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »

I am waiting for the Acer Aspire One and the Dell subnotebook releases before I decide what to purchase.  With all the competition, I am hoping for lower prices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: