http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 04:09:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody got an Eee Pc?  (Read 6936 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2008, 07:22:33 AM »

Pretty nifty looking things.  I want one just because I'm a technophile.  I'm holding out for a touch screen though.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 01:25:06 PM »

I keep debating on grabbing one for the ultimate in PC portability.

On the flip side, ASUS is announcing their 9 inch Eee PC today (verses the 7 inch ones currently on the market), so I'm curious as to the price of that version.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 01:42:51 PM »

Its selling point has always been that it's Cheap, not that it's the most awesome thing in the cosmos.  icon_neutral I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a touchscreen variation, because that wouldn't be cheap (I'm guessing, at least), and would be beyond what Eee PC (rhymes with cheap PC icon_lol) is trying to do.

That said, there's a newer version with a 9" screen on the way (no launch date for US yet):
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13844
Like the current models, the Eee PC 900 series will have a clamshell design and run a version of the Linux operating system. In addition, Asus says it will be ready to have Microsoft Windows installed on them if the user wants to.

The most obvious change in the upcoming version will be the 8.9-inch display, up from 7 inches.

In addition, versions of the Eee PC 900 will have up to 1 GB of RAM and storage capacity of up to 12 GB, much more than in the current versions.
Since upgrading the RAM voids the warranty, the new version with more RAM seems a better safe bet.

I've been interested in one, but I've heard the undersize keyboard is really a pain to use. It's probably not something you'd want to do much more than Web surfing and jotting short e-mails with. I'm a reporter and I occasionally attend conferences and go on site tours for articles, so I thought it would be useful in those situations (I've never owned a laptop).

While I don't have one, a Windows XP newsletter I receive had some impressions of using one and installing Windows XP on it (it comes with a customized Linux that's OK by all accounts):

XP on the Eee PC: Home at last
http://www.wxpnews.com/archives/wxpnews-304-20071120.htm
If you were tempted by the small size and price of the Eee PC but you haven't taken the plunge because you're a techie type and thought it was just for computer novices, think again. It's really a great little hobbyist system that you can configure and reconfigure to your heart's content. And if you ever do want to go back to the original interface, Asus provides the recovery disk that will let you easily do so.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 01:50:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:38:06 PM »

Actually there was a big controversy about that whole "voiding the warranty" thing and I believe Asus has stated that upgrading the RAM no longer voids the warranty.  According to this Eee Pc site there seems to be a lot of game playing going on!

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=28&p=1

I bought my laptop 2 and a half years ago for about $1500 and although it's still going strong, the price just doesnt seem to be worth it.  I find myself playing fewer and fewer PC games and the only games I feel the urge to play these days are strategy games which should work on an Eee PC.  I am definitely going to have my eye on that 9 inch version when it comes out.  I would like to try my hand at some Linux OS-it looks very simple and streamlined-like the Iphone.  On the other hand I could also install Windows on an SD card and dual-boot whenever I have a hankering for some wargame action!  I think a lot of older games (for example Baldurs Gate, Planetscape Torment etc would be perfect for this kind of set up.  I just cannot see myself spending another $1500 for another PC
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 06:25:44 PM »

I've been wanting to get a wireless device to use exclusively for web browsing for years.  A $200 Eee PC would really fit the bill.

I was hoping the OLPC thing would have worked for this, but it hasn't amounted to being anything more than a scam.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 02:50:12 AM »

I have one sitting right here next to me on my desk.  I'd be happy to field any questions about it.

I think Asus confirmed awhile back that you CAN upgrade the RAM without voiding the warranty.  The higher end models have a small door on the back like most laptops do.  I upgraded mine from 512MB to 2Gig.  Overkill, but it was like $30.

Asus originally said they were going to put a touchscreen in the next-gen version, but they have canceled plans to do so.  I wouldn't hold my breath for one anytime soon.

I have XP on mine, and it was very easy to install, just use a USB CD drive.  I have a 4Gig model, so the C drive gets kind of cramped.  I got a 16Gig SD card that I mount as a Hard Drive too, so I can install more programs on it, but I find that most programs dump a lot of stuff on C even if you install them somewhere else.  For the basics like email, web surfing, light office type stuff it's plenty.

This review should give you a pretty good idea of what it's like: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qZwB2qtJphE
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 05:41:08 AM »

I've just ordered 2 gigs of RAM for my laptop so I'm hoping that it will last another couple of years-maybe by then prices of touchscreen will have dropped and Asus will be able to drop one into their new computers.  Because with a laptop that small you're probably going to be carrying it around a lot which would make using a mouse difficult and I'm really not a big fan of touchpads.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 02:00:15 PM »

Where can these be purchased?
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 03:16:52 PM »

Best Buy, Amazon, Newegg, ZipZoomFly, etc.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 05:37:43 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 06, 2008, 02:00:15 PM

Where can these be purchased?

www.anywhereyoubuyothershitontheinternets.com

gellar
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 07:44:14 PM »

Oh, speak of the devil, they just yesterday announced a model that has Windows XP pre-installed:

ASUS Officially Launches Eee PC with Microsoft Windows Operating System
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/news03052008.htm
Amidst great expectations, ASUS today launched the ASUS Eee PC pre-installed with Microsoft Windows XP. This new offering of the ever-popular Eee PC promises to let users enjoy an efficient online and work management experience with the incorporated Windows Live and Microsoft Works features.
Also maybe of interest, I saw an item at Brighthand about Intel's new "Atom" CPUs intended mainly for ultra-small laptops focused on Internet access. They aren't promising the Eee PC will eventually use one, but they seem to suggest it's an ideal example of what Atom's designed for.

Intel Atom Processor Designed for New Handheld Mobile Devices
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13850
Intel has taken the wraps off the Atom, an upcoming family of low-power processors designed specifically for mobile Internet devices (MIDs) and other Internet-centric computers arriving later this year.

This processor will be based on an entirely new microarchitecture designed specifically for small devices and low power, while maintaining the Intel Core 2 Duo instruction set compatibility consumers are accustomed to when using a standard PC and the Internet.

... Intel also hopes this processor will be included in low-cost laptops that emphasize Internet access. An example of this class -- which Intel calls Netbooks -- is the Asus Eee PC.

Questions. Well, I'm a reporter (trade industry, basically writing about segments of the oil and chemical industries, you wouldn't invite me to a tree hugger conference  icon_lol). I don't travel a lot, but I do cover maybe two big conferences a year, and take maybe 2-3 site visit trips a year to write feature stories from.

While I wouldn't write the Great American Novel, or a massive morose book called, "The Death of the PC Gaming Platform in the 21st Century"  crybaby icon_lol, I thought it would be a handy thing to check e-mail with (the conferences are usually in hotels with Wi-Fi everywhere), and perhaps to transcribe some notes from speeches I cover.

Maybe Best Buy has this but I've yet to see one in my local stores. So my basic question is whether you can type on it for any period of time without your fingers cramping.  icon_confused

Beyond that:
-What's the "build quality" like? Does it feel like the hinge would give out after opening and closing it a few dozen times? Does the finish peel off like the hubcaps on my otherwise wonderful 1996 Toyota Corolla.  icon_razz

-Does it feel responsive or sluggish? (I am curious whether it'll be more sluggish on Windows XP than on the customized Linux the original versions have used)

-Does it overheat if you use it past a certain amount of time? Warm, hot to the touch etc.

-Does it make a racket in operation? I'm notoriously noise-sensitive (I once ate a $150 return fee on a Micro Center PC because it made a racket like a 747 jet engine in use).

-I read dimensions and such but is it easy to carry? Does it feel too "slippery" to carry safely?

-On the current Linux models, is there any difficulty converting text documents to MS Word and back? I'm not an MS Word fan per se, but it's what we use at my office.

Thanks for any insights. smile
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:56:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »

I fished around and while you can buy it online from Best Buy (Circuit City doesn't carry it), they don't carry it in stores:

'tis the 4GB SSD drive, 512MB RAM, Linux OS version for $399.99:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8643426&st=Eee+PC&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1195597748307

fwiw, the customer reviews are pretty uniformly enthusiastic there (for many products, they're not). Though it doesn't sound like my larger hands would do well on the teeny keyboard.

Best prices from online stores I've had any experience with are Amazon ($349.99) and Buy.com ($357.61), according to Pricegrabber.

Here's Amazon's:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZLSXJO/ref=nosim/?tag=pricegrabber2-comp-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B000ZLSXJO&linkCode=asn

Just supplying links in case anyone else was interested in the customer review stuff.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:33:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 01:03:57 AM »

Just a note, the one liked from Best Buy and the one from Amazon are not the same model.  The one at Best Buy is the 4G and it has a 6-cell battery and a webcam.  The one linked from Amazon is the 4G Surf.  It has only a 4 cell battery and no webcam.  Also, some have mentioned that the Surf models don't have the RAM door on the bottom, which means if you want to upgrade the memory you have to take the thing apart (that WILL void your warranty).
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »

K, but what about my thrilling questions?  icon_confused icon_smile

Laptop Blog reports the new 8GB details for U.S. market just announced:
http://blog.laptopmag.com/eee-pc-to-get-intels-diamondville-hard-drives-and-fashion-forward-style
Any information on the pricing on the new 8.9-inch model?
In the beginning and in April, around the release date, it will initially be higher and be around $499 in the United States. From the user feedback, I think if we provide a bigger screen and bigger storage it may be more popular than the 7-inch version. The second generation is very important for us.

Beyond the screen, how will the new machines be different?
The screen size will be 8.9 inches. And the storage, which was originally 4GB, will be upgraded to versions with an 8GB solid state drive and a 12 to 20GB solid state drives. We aren’t sure yet if the second machine will be 12 or 20GB because of guidelines we have to follow. The 8GB machine will run Windows XP and the 12 or the 20GB will be Linux based. The Windows XP machine will have 1GB of RAM. The screen resolution on each of these will be 1024 x 600.
It mentions they moved the speakers from the sides to the bottom of the Eee PC to make more room for a larger monitor screen.

Apparently it's selling like crazy, esp. in Japan and Europe, but they are running into some battery supply issues. It sold about 350,000 in the fourth quarter of '07.
In our hour-long interview, Shen shared that the Eee PC will get:

A 8.9-inch display and Windows XP: Confirming that the machine shown at CeBIT will come to market in April, the new Eee PC will have a 8.9-inch screen and a higher 1024 x 600-pixel resolution An 8GB SSD will be available running Windows XP. A 12GB or 20GB SSD model will be available with Xandros.

Hard Drives: Asus is considering giving customers a choice between their current offering of solid state drives and regular hard drives in the future.

Intel’s Diamondville: Shen revealed that the low-cost notebook platform will adopt Intel’s Diamondville processor
in Q2 rather than VIA’s mobile computing platform.

More Colors and Stylish Looks: In May or June, Asus will release “very stylish” versions of the Eee PC. Shen says they will have a New York City sleekness.
Lot of interesting stuff, more than I can cut and paste here. Check it out if you're interested where they're going with it.

The ASUS CEO seems to indicate they don't want to lose what's appealing about it (low cost, light weight, simple to use etc.) so they're not likely to take it bigger than 8.9-10" or bloat it into a $1,000 product. He seems to realize there is some concern notebook makers are dropping down into Eee PC's territory (price wise), and that it might hurt both markets to some extent.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:40:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 01:22:35 AM »

also would like to bring your attention to the Pandora, which will be out soon. Smaller and tailored for games (and the spiritual successor to GamePark's GP2X):

http://openpandora.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_%28console%29
http://pandora.bluwiki.org/
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 08:48:21 PM »

LOL, the OLPC news gets worse and worse.  Nick Negroponte just announced they need to find a business guy to run the organization, since "I am not a CEO. Management, administration, and details are my weaknesses."  Well heck, Nick, that doesn't leave room for very much that you ARE good at, does it?

Seeing who his brother is, it's not at all surprising the OLPC turned out to be a scam.

So how good is the Eee's screen?  That's my big concern.  I don't need a huge screen, but anything too tiny obviously is bad (these eyes aren't getting any younger).
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 09:43:43 PM »

BTW... how well does this play games?   icon_smile
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 01:38:28 AM »

The screen is only 7".  It's widescreen and the native res is 800x480.  You can change it to 800x600 but the screen will scroll up and down.  Yeah it's small.  But it's still very useable.  It's also LED backlit so it's really bright too.  For light email, web surfing or office work it's just fine.  Don't expect it to be your only PC.

As for games, it runs older games just fine.  I fired up Quake3 and it gets like 60 FPS no problem.  Older strategy games are probably the best bet.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 08:25:18 AM »

"Games tested on the Eee PC

This is a small list of games that have been tested on the Eee PC 4G."

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/list:games?s=games
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 02:05:40 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on March 12, 2008, 08:25:18 AM

"Games tested on the Eee PC

This is a small list of games that have been tested on the Eee PC 4G."

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/list:games?s=games

I'm shocked it can run so many games so well.

I just might have to pick up either this or the 9 inch version just for a Baldur's Gate 2 machine I can bring into work. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »

OMG, you can run City of Heroes on it!  That's so cool!  Sadly, no World of Warcraft is reported.

I'm actually surprised Civ or Alpha Centauri or something isn't on the list.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 03:23:56 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »

Given how tiny the keyboard is, I'd be careful of running a hotkey-heavy game on it. I mean, you can attach a full keyboard and mouse to the USB ports I guess, but it sort of defeats the point.  icon_confused

Oh, hey, Brighthand had a pretty thorough review of a 4GB model back October:

Asus Eee PC 701 4G Review
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13453

Battery life is maybe 3-4 hours if you're doing anything heavy duty with it, it seems. He answered some of my questions about heat and noise (or lack thereof):
Even with the low voltage processor and SSD drive, the Asus Eee PC produced as much heat as any other notebook in the same price range. The keyboard and bottom of the notebook got quite hot even under normal use, and the fan was always running in an attempt to keep the system cool.

Fan noise was among the quietest we’ve heard. The only way to tell the fan is blowing is to put your hand next to the air vent to feel the warm air blow past.

In my testing, the keyboard side of the Eee PC warmed up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit during normal extended use, while the bottom was at 112 degrees. I'm only listing one temperature for each side because the Eee PC is so small that they're basically only one temperature for the top and one temperature for the bottom.
If you're a child or have very tiny hands, you might be able to touch-type on it. Otherwise, it sounds like strictly index finger hunt-n-peckin'.

I'm curious how much hotter/noisier the hard-drive versions will be.

I just saw it as useful on my occasional business trips, and maybe (since my PC and TV aren't in the same room) something to have handy when something on TV tosses an URL at you. My PSP is pretty much lame as far as Web browsing goes. Even hunt'n'peckin' beats trying to use PSP buttons and a thumbstick to Web surf.  disgust
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 03:28:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 10:48:04 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 12, 2008, 03:21:34 PM

OMG, you can run City of Heroes on it!  That's so cool!  Sadly, no World of Warcraft is reported.

I'm actually surprised Civ or Alpha Centauri or something isn't on the list.

I have Alpha Centauri installed on mine right now.  Works great.  And I'm pretty sure people have gotten WoW to run on it.  It's not pretty but it's possible.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 12:10:33 AM »

I'm not sure but I believe with the WIndows XP edition (its in Japan right now) you can set the resolution higher than 800x600.  Much higher in fact.  Actually you can do it with the the Linux version as well but it requires some kind of hack.  I know I will definitely be getting one of these, the question is when.  I know that I will be holding out for the 9 inch version anyways.  But other than the fact that I can't turn my laptop off (it messes up the screen when you turn it back on) there's nothing wrong with my current laptop and I've just ordered another 2 gigs of ram for it.  It's over 2 years old now and the fact that it cost about $1600 means that I would like to use it for at least another couple of years.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 06:39:53 PM »

PC World (IDG news service) has a news item. The US $ prices are based on the Taiwan prices though so don't see those numbers as the U.S. prices (just an approximation). Although it's mainly ASUS touting that the Windows XP version will outsell its predecessor, it has a bit more detail on the new models:

Windows Eee PC Will Outsell Linux Version, Says Asus
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143402-page,1/article.html
The company is selling two different versions of the Windows Eee PC laptop. [Note: in Taiwan-bj]

The cheapest one, the Eee PC Surf XP, costs NT$12,499 (US$408), has a 7-inch LCD screen, 4G-bytes of NAND flash memory for storage, and 512M-bytes of DDR2 DRAM (double data rate, second generation, dynamic RAM).

The more expensive version, the Eee PC 4G XP, costs NT$14,490 ($473) and includes an additional 4G-byte SD (secure digital) card for storage as well as slightly better battery able to last up to 3.5 hours, versus 2.8 hours for the cheaper model, and a built on 3-megapixel digital camera.

The laptops both run on Intel Pentium M 650MHz to 900MHz chips and weigh less than a kilogram.

The lowest cost Eee PC available runs on a Linux OS from Xandros, carries just 2G-bytes of NAND flash for storage and sells for around NT$7,999 ($261).
I think the 4G XP version has the new larger screen, but the article doesn't mention it.

These may be different models than what they're marketing in the U.S. I'm a little confused at this point.  icon_confused

They also have a brief video of the XP models introduced at the Cbit show in Germany:
http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,734-page,1-bid,0/video.html

Ewww, video of laptops on display! Ewwwww!  smirk Really though it *is* useful to see some adults attempting to type and touchpad on the thing (towards the end of the video - blink and you might miss it).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 06:56:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 11:26:50 PM »

My roommate picked his up yesterday.  I don't find the laptop too horrible although I would not want to write a book on it.  On the other hand, my hands are relatively small.  If I were to buy one I would definitely pick up the 2Gb stick of RAM as well.  I will definitely be buying one of these.  I would rather spend $500 every two years than spend $1700 and try to make it last at least four years.  That's $450 per year compared to $250 per year and last couple of years I'm dealing with an aging notebook rather than a nice new one.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 05:34:54 AM »

This news brief that Blue's News picked up is only worth reading for the sporadically amusing comments thread appended to it:

BetaNews: Asus' Eee Linux PC to become Windows machine
http://www.betanews.com/article/Asus_Eee_Linux_PC_to_become_Windows_machine/1205439702
My favorite illuminatory comments (mostly an "OS wars disagreement") ...
"You're an idiot."

"Ever consider you are an idiot for mindlessly believing this?"

"OS theorists? Pray tell, whom might these be who are extolling the virtues of Microsoft's mighty spaghetti code? Lots of absolutes in your claims. Give us some links that don't start with www.microsoft.com."

"Eee.

Did their key get stuck?"  icon_lol

"With the price hike due to the 9 inches screen and Windows, what we end up is just another cheap laptop." [ehhh, not really true as the price is supposedly to be maybe $100 more than the current top model-bj]
Debate, drama, comedy and cynicism. Where did we turn to for such discourse before the Internet?  smirk
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 05:36:31 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 06:24:18 AM »

So I somehow fell asleep at 9:30 p.m. and woke up at 1:30 a.m. Now I can't get back to sleep. Time to "search for Eee PC photo galleries" and reviews online. Some are old, but most have some very helpful-to-see images (including how it looks sitting on top of a "normal" laptop, in size):

ASUS Eee PC First Thoughts (from a Canadian site called Random Process)
http://www.randomprocess.ca/2007/11/14/asus-eee-pc-first-thoughts/
-This has pics of the packaging, and of it sitting on top of a regular size laptop's keyboard (helpful for visualizing as I've not been able to see this at any stores to check it out)
-The box is apparently almost exactly same size as an NVIDIA 8800GT video card box

Oh heck here's the image... (this is the current model and not the larger, upcoming ones with 8.5/9" screen)

=================================

Uh oh, I'm getting sleepy again. Zzzzz....

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 05:20:50 AM »

I think they look pretty cool...anyone want to purchase one for me?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 08:53:12 AM »

According to Engadget  the new 8.9 in Eee PC will be coming with touchscreen included.  Boom! That was the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger.  I will definitely be picking one of these up come May or June.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 05:18:03 PM »

Interesting, though I was actually interested more in the pictures of the 9" model found in its FCC filings (it's a link on that same page ye mentioned):

ASUS' 9-inch Eee PC 900 hits the FCC with full teardown, gets multi-finger gesture support
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/26/asus-9-inch-eee-pc-900-hits-the-fcc/
There's no secret-sauce WiMAX or drastic changes we can see, though the manual does make mention of "multi-finger gesture input," which will apparently provide the ability to zoom in, zoom out, and do familiar two-finger scrolling on the newly resized trackpad.
But is it just me, or does the fact that even the hottest gizmos in the universe (iPhones, etc.) always boil down to soldered circuit boards that look like they're from
1974 once you take the exterior window dressing away feel like a letdown here in the 21st century.  disgust icon_lol

I gotta cover a conference in Cleveland around May 19-21 (yes, of course, right when Age of Conan launches; I'm sooo cursed  crybaby), and Tuesday's our e-mail newsletter's production day. So we were hyperventilating about having to finish the newsletter at a hotel business center, Kinko's etc. We have one laptop, and the Wi-Fi isn't working.

All I could think was, would an Eee PC help me in this situation or would trying to type and update an Excel spreadsheet chart on the kid-sized keyboard drive me insane? Should I get a nice "real" laptop even though I can't see needing it more than 2-3 times a year for work?  icon_confused Do I really want to go through all the laptop crap I see people go through at TSA security lines? Do we have a more general laptop thread I can ask these things in?  retard
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 05:25:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »

I'm waiting for someone to merge a virtual keyboard with an LED projector.

Could you imagine that?  You would literally be able to work right from something like an iPhone.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »

I'm sure holographic stuff and projectors will be common soon. It's just, esp. as someone who learned to type on *gasp* typewriters  icon_eek, I really need some tactile keyboard clacking for feedback. Otherwise, typing on projected keys is like typing on an Atari 400.  saywhat

As long as we're going Endgadget bananas  icon_smile, I clicked on the EeePC900 tag and they have a lot under it, including some hands-on stuff earlier this month I think maybe I missed.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/EeePc900/

This post they finally got to turn on the monitor and were happy the new 1024X600 image fills up the entire 9" screen:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/04/asus-9-inch-eee-pc-now-with-living-pixels/
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/hands-on-with-the-9-inch-eee-pc/

fwiw, 399 euros (12GB model) would be about $631 U.S., though I doubt the prices will convert exactly like that.

If you look at the last sticker photo in the hands on, it reads, fwiw:

Display: 8.9"
Processor/Chipset: Intel
Memory: 1GB DDR2
Storage: 8GB S.S.D. [12GB model available too]
Card Reader: MMC/SD/SDHC
Audio: High definition audio/stereo speaker/mic
Communication: 10/100 LAN, WLAN 802.11b/g
Camera: 1.3MB Pixel Video Camera
Battery: 4 cells, 3.5 hours
*Actual battery life will depend on actual operations and configurations.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:53:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
unbreakable
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 11:36:11 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 26, 2008, 07:29:36 PM

I'm sure holographic stuff and projectors will be common soon. It's just, esp. as someone who learned to type on *gasp* typewriters  icon_eek, I really need some tactile keyboard clacking for feedback. Otherwise, typing on projected keys is like typing on an Atari 400.  saywhat

Actually, one interesting thing about the virtual keyboard is it "clicks" when you type.  So at the least it provides an audible feedback.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 08:28:41 AM »

According to the article I linked the new versions are going to go for $500.

I think it will be cool.  I would love a miniscule dual booting laptop.  I read a post buy one guy who managed to get the windows XP install down to a mere 500 megs and a boot up of about 25 seconds.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »

A few bitties...

Ubergizmo (?) uses diagrams to explain the multi-touch stuff via the touch pad (not a touch screen, in this case/model):
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2008/03/fcc_reveals_multitouchpad_for_eee_pc_900.html

They also linked to the actual FCC section that has the EeePC 900 screenshots that Engadget posted:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=940941&fcc_id=|MSQEPC9GE780|
A lot of it won't be meaningful unless you're really into, "ALSAS-10U Interpolation and Extrapolation Uncertainty."  icon_confused It's like reading a Star Trek technical manual.

It has the full user manual, though it probably doesn't differ a whole lot from the original models.

I'm still thinking the one site (Mobile: http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/334/C14915/) that claims to have "confirmed" a "touchscreen" was referring to this "multi-touch touchpad" gesture stuff and perhaps misheard/misunderstood the information.

As mentioned here:
http://www.cio.com/article/205401/Asustek_s_New_Eee_PC_to_Sport_Multi_Touch_Trackpad
A few things the Eee PC 900 will not have include a touchscreen and GPS (global positioning system), the Asustek representative said, despite some news reports to the contrary.
I take no joy in perhaps bursting someone's bubble in that. But touchscreens aren't cheap, and I'd assume a switch to that would take the Eee PC well out of Asus' comfortable price range.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 01:04:50 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »

Ahh that's too bad-I would have liked a touchscreen but I guess it isn't that big of a deal.  The upgrade from a .3 megapixel camera to a 1.3 megapixel camera is almost just as good smile
unbreakable
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 04:19:29 PM »

I've tested a Tablet PC.  I can't say the experience made me care to much about the idea of a touch screen.

Now it would be nice in that you could throw it on a treadmill or something, but other than a kind of kiosk usage I can't see much of a practical reason to need a touch screen.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2008, 03:50:26 PM »

Do not really care about the GPS or camera but the touchscreen might be interesting.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2008, 05:15:19 PM »

I think, after all my breathless hyperventilation, that I'm going to get a "real" (notebook size) laptop here soon with a keyboard designed for adult hands and not for Wizard of Oz munchkins. I'm a reporter, and really what I need is something I can type up notes and interviews on, and perhaps update some Excel charts on, comfortably. As cool as the Eee PC is, I just can't see being able to do that on it.

An interesting thing in the FCC photos was how the tiny keyboard seems to be of a single piece that slides/snaps in place. If they conjured up some sort of "flip up/fold out" close-to-fullsize keyboard contraption, either as a future model or accessory, that might interest writers like me more.  icon_cool But, I don't see it happenin'.

On the flip side, I want to get my 73 year old mom a new PC at some point (she's using a kludgy Windows ME system with a 1992 VGA monitor). She has very tiny hands, and maybe, possibly, I could see her enjoying the new Eee PC models. Windows baffles her, and she might like the Linux version's tabbed interface. I'd have to set up a USB dial-up modem though.

Oh, also, I read about a big fire at a factory in South Korea that churns out batteries for smaller laptops (including the Eee PC). While this may shift business to Samsung and a Japanese battery manufacturer, it might also cause a shortfall in the needed batteries at a poor time for the Eee PC new models (just the articles speculating, hopefully they are arranging alternate sources in a timely manner).

This is actually sort of "phase out" time at most stores so there's a lot of interesting close-out sales and such. I've seen some fine small laptops in the $499-$699 range. I'm tempted to start up a laptop thread, but I'm not sure that contradictory advice from 100 people here (or any other forum) would help me make a decision. I'm just going into stores, practicing typing on the keyboards and kicking the tires, so to speak.  icon_smile

If I knew somebody who was a writer/reporter who had to bang away on his/her laptop on the road a lot (in airplanes, hotels, lobbies etc.), that would be helpful.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 05:21:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: