http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 12:04:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVI - Just how important is this???  (Read 1857 times)
algernon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2004, 09:50:27 PM »

I have a ATI X800se with dvi & vga out.

My new 19 inch LCD only has vga input.

Am I really missing all that much w/o DVI?

Is the picture quality better?

Thanks.
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 10:19:49 PM »

Yes, I think so. I have used both VGA and DVI with my LCD (same video card) at its native 1600x1200, and there is a kind of a "shadow" for lack of a better word when using the VGA. I think there is some imprecision in converting the analog signal and it causes the pixels to "not quite" line up. At lower resolutions, there was not much difference, although I could still see instances of this shadowing effect if I looked hard enough.

Is it a huge deal? That's hard to say. I'm sure it depends on the quality of the display. If you've never seen both on the same screen, then you might not even realize it's not all it could be. I did, on my display, but then I'm somewhat picky, too.

The other advantage to DVI is that there are no need to set the display up in terms of sizing or centering the image - it's just perfect, all the time. However, I found that my display did a pretty good job of auto-calibrating the VGA signal.

Sorry, I'm not trying to make you agonize over not having DVI. If it looks good to you, then go with it. Personally, I won't buy a LCD without DVI.

See my list of games I have and want.
Scoop20906
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 03:44:52 AM »

Is there an adapter or way to convert and LCD to DVI if it only has an analog input?

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 12:23:25 PM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
Is there an adapter or way to convert and LCD to DVI if it only has an analog input?

I don't think so - but some LCD monitors come with a DVI input (the much discussed Dell 20.1 FP does, for example).

I just got a new system and a free 19" monitor in one of those Dell deals and this monitor has only the analog input. While I'm sure it's much better with a DVI input smile I don't see any problem with the video quality or any issues that would lead me to believe I won't be happy with this monitor. That said, when I upgrade monitors, I will definitely be looking for DVI.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 01:22:13 PM »

Thanks Charlatan.

I got the same deal and monitor. Damn, its big but I'm still trying to get used to how a LCD looks.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
algernon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 06:23:22 PM »

Funny,

I jumped on the same Dell deal.

There must be a ton of us who did.

I just switched from a 19 inch crt and the look of this 19" LCD is really an adjustment.

The colors don't seem as bright and deep.

Not having DVI in is bugging me, especially with the div out taunting me from the back of my video card.

I was just wondering if the DVI was more hype than substance so I can feel better about this new monitor and ignore the taunts of the little white plug on my vid card.

I am wondering how this card will support an LCD TV with dvi-in.

Anyone ever done that?  Dell was selling 17 in lcd as an option with the system, but I went for the free 19 inch lcd.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 02:31:14 PM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"

That would render the point moot; it would still be converting to analog, and then back to digital... it would just be happening BEFORE the signal hits the screen. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 04:57:33 PM »

Does DVI vs analog VGA (D-SUB connector) make a difference on a monitor which has both?  Yes, definitely - assuming it's a high-quality LCD, of course.  Is it a moot question if you have an LCD with only a D-SUB connector?  Yeah, kinda.   :?   I mean, if the LCD's only got an analog input, then obviously there's no way for you to know how much of a difference DVI would've made, is there?

Is there any point to a DVI-to-VGA converter for such a monitor?  No.  The whole point to DVI in the first place is to keep the video signal purely digital the entire time - from PC to video card to cable to monitor.  Once it's converted to analog anywhere in there, you've already started degrading your signal - and hence, your video quality.  Whether it makes a noticable difference depends largely on the quality of your LCD monitor.  Obviously, there are crappy LCDs, just as there are crappy CRT displays, and the best video signal in the world is useless if you hook it up to a third-rate monitor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: