http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 02:00:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question for ipad owners  (Read 801 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »

For Christmas I went ahead and got myself an ipad 64GB wi-fi edition. By accident Best Buy sent me the wi-fi/3G edition, which was a pleasant surprise. I don't use 3G that often, but it is a nice addition. My girlfriend also splurged and bought my a $200 limited edition vaja mamut ipad case, which looks absolutely stunning. (  http://vajacases.com/  )

When I bought the ipad,however, I had no idea the refresh was due in early this year, and I'm torn between returning my current model, or keeping what I have. The case my GF purchased will definitely not fit a 2G ipad, as it is a clamshell case that grips the ipad tightly. It can also not be returned because they are custom crafted. Likewise, I'd be paying for 3G the next time around, as I doubt Best Buy would screw up twice.

I use the ipad mostly as a comic reader and e-reader, followed by playing several apps such as Civ Rev, Risk HD, Puzzle Quest HD, etc.

I don't really care about the inclusion of a camera, better speaker, or slightly smaller form factor. A bump in storage space might be nice, but 64Gb should hold me for awhile. The one area that has me on the fence is the supposed inclusion of the retina display. I'm wondering if that is even feasible given the size of the ipad screen. Likewise, I'm wondering if it might make alot of apps look worse, as they weren't designed for a screen of that resolution and pixel density. Also, for screens this small will the new display really make a difference? Or is it basically like the 1080p/720p argument, where at smaller sized screens the difference is nigh-imperceptible.

Basically, would you:

A) Be happy with the current model, free 3G upgrade and slick carrying case?
B) Use the current model until the upcoming release, and then sell my ipad and vaja case and pay the difference
c) Return this model to Best Buy and play the waiting game.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:47:23 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
KC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:46:52 PM »

Based on what you use it for, I would keep what you have and enjoy.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 03:09:32 AM »

Quote from: KC on January 15, 2011, 10:46:52 PM

Based on what you use it for, I would keep what you have and enjoy.

Agreed.  Honestly, this seems like a no-brainer.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 03:31:45 PM »

keep it.
The 'upgrade' reasons were all poo-pooed by you already. You made your decision without even realizing it smile

Keep it and enjoy it. I have the 64gb version and have 50gb of space still - even after 30 books, games apps etc etc.
Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »

I'm going to play devil's advocate.  I think you have to be honest with yourself.  Meaning are you the type that can easily get sucked into wanting the latest and greatest, or are you truly easily satiated and content with what you have.  Even though the majority of what you posted seems to lean toward the obvious choice of just keeping what you have and enjoying it, somehow I get the sense that there's something of that first category in you.  

You sound somewhat like you are trying to find ways to talk yourself out of wanting the next gen version (which btw really no one even knows what it will really be like), which from my experience is often a sign of the inevitable: that you're gonna want that new one eventually.  I posted this link in the other thread, which anticipates a new dual core processor and 4X graphics power for the new unit, to accompany a 2048x1536 resolution screen (all conjecture of course):

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/more-details-emerge-on-apples-a5-chip-for-upcoming-ipad-2-and-i/

This along with rumors of SD card slot, full 1080p (which you'd be able to stream to your TV in theory), front and back cameras (for Face Time), and who knows what else....  if none of that really sounds exciting/tempting to you, you should be fine smile

Ultimately if you are a technogeek (like me), I'd say don't worry so much at the moment.  Enjoy what you have as much as you can now, and then when the new one comes out, if you simply can't resist it (at this point I don't even bother with the resisting part anymore), just get it and give the previous one away or sell it off at that point.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 11:08:22 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 17, 2011, 07:38:37 PM

I'm going to play devil's advocate.  I think you have to be honest with yourself.  Meaning are you the type that can easily get sucked into wanting the latest and greatest, or are you truly easily satiated and content with what you have.  

I definitely tend to be a "latest and greatest" type of person. You don't even want to know what my upgrade path is for things like computers and plasma TVs.  I'm really trying to break the cycle, but it isn't easy. The most difficult part of the decision is that I'm a display junkie. All my computer monitors are IPS panels, my plasmas have always been upper tier Pioneer and Panasonic, etc. The new retina display really has me interested, and I'm hearing increased buzz that the retina display is a definite feature, albeit not with the same density as the iphone. But as I mentioned before, I'm wondering if all that hype is really lost in the final product. I've heard several people exclaim how much better the 4G iphone screen is in comparison to the 3G version, but others have told me the difference is imperceptible. I'm wondering if it all ends up being justification for spending the extra money, and people fool themselves into believing "X" is better.

Coupled with that, selling the case my girlfriend purchased for me at Christmas seems ungrateful. She is a complete penny pincher, and for her to spend $200 on a tablet case is her way of really going out on a ledge and trying to give me a wonderful gift.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:13:38 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:01:07 PM »

If this follows Apple usual format the new iPad should be somewhat cheaper as they refine the product to get more market share.   I'm still trying to figure out what use I would get out of a tablet.  I have a Kindle and a Laptop, but man do I feel the pull for a iPad or Samsung Tab

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:26:55 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 18, 2011, 11:08:22 AM

Quote from: rittchard on January 17, 2011, 07:38:37 PM

I'm going to play devil's advocate.  I think you have to be honest with yourself.  Meaning are you the type that can easily get sucked into wanting the latest and greatest, or are you truly easily satiated and content with what you have.  

I definitely tend to be a "latest and greatest" type of person. You don't even want to know what my upgrade path is for things like computers and plasma TVs.  I'm really trying to break the cycle, but it isn't easy. The most difficult part of the decision is that I'm a display junkie. All my computer monitors are IPS panels, my plasmas have always been upper tier Pioneer and Panasonic, etc. The new retina display really has me interested, and I'm hearing increased buzz that the retina display is a definite feature, albeit not with the same density as the iphone. But as I mentioned before, I'm wondering if all that hype is really lost in the final product. I've heard several people exclaim how much better the 4G iphone screen is in comparison to the 3G version, but others have told me the difference is imperceptible. I'm wondering if it all ends up being justification for spending the extra money, and people fool themselves into believing "X" is better.

Coupled with that, selling the case my girlfriend purchased for me at Christmas seems ungrateful. She is a complete penny pincher, and for her to spend $200 on a tablet case is her way of really going out on a ledge and trying to give me a wonderful gift.

Yeah that last point is kind of tough to get around, I'd say you definitely don't want to hurt her feelings.  If it were me, I'd just plan to keep both (the original and new), use one for work and one for home.  Not that I can't get by with only one, but I like the idea of dedicating one to "work mode" with only work-related apps and a lot of references, files, etc. and the second one used for gaming/multimedia/fun. 

As far as the iPhone 4 screen, I was really skeptical.  I even made fun of it before it came out because I felt the screen was just too small for it to make any impact.  But... once I had it in my hand I could immediately tell the difference, particularly when comparing it side by side to the older model.  It's significantly sharper and clearer.  Now of course this may depend on what your eyes are like and how picky/sensitive you are to things like this.  If you are a "display junkie" you probably have a better eye for it than I do, so my guess is you'd definitely see the difference if they doubled the resolution.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »

...$200 for a case?
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on January 23, 2011, 01:30:47 PM

...$200 for a case?

Yea, those vaja cases are a luxery item for sure.

Two ipads?   That sounds great.  Keep the one you got, and get the new one if you have to scratch the itch.

Ipads are handy to have around anyways.  slywink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: