http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 10:27:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 pin to 8 pin converter for Geforce GTX 280?  (Read 1647 times)
dkass
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2008, 06:47:35 PM »

So for the first time I actually broke down and purchased a high end video card--the Geforce GTX 280. I have an XPS 700 and when I opened my case I realized I only have 6 pin power cables. The 280 requires one 6 pin and one 8 pin. I ordered a 6 to 8 pin converter, but I am worried if this will cause me problems down the road. The documentation with the card suggests that this is a bad connection. Will I be ok or do I need to upgrade the power supply as well (which I really don't want to do).
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:09:50 AM »

I think the concern with those connectors is sometimes heat related and also that older power supplies with 6 pin connectors donít have enough juice for what an 8 pin connection requires.  Iíve seen some manufacturers include the adapters with their product while other manufacturers include notices suggesting you avoid their use.

I guess the big question is what kind of power supply does your Dell have at the moment, and what kind of load are your drawing from it (i.e. number of drives, fans, RAM, etc.).  If the new card needs too much juice, your system simply might not boot (easy to diagnose), or more likely youíll experience crashes and freezing while playing games.

Youíll also have to check if your system uses a proprietary power supply.  I know a few years back Dell motherboards had some custom connectors that required you to purchase their power supplies, which werenít nearly as powerful as more common commercial brands.

16-bit and loving it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: